Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2020, 11:26 PM   #1
1crosscut
Senior Member
 
1crosscut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 1,279
Default Amount of oil remaining in the engine

As part of pulling my engine to do some work on the AA I decided to see just how much oil is left in the engine after draining the oil.

I drained the oil allowing about 10 minutes of time until I put the plug back in.
Then I pulled the engine and mounted it on my engine stand.
After getting it on the stand I pulled the drain plug and caught the oil. Put the plug back in, tipped and rotated the engine several times over the next couple of days pulling the plug each time and catching the oil.
17 ounces is what was left in the engine.

Your results may vary
__________________
Dave

It'll feel better when it quits hurting.
1crosscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:30 AM   #2
Bob Bidonde
Senior Member
 
Bob Bidonde's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,602
Default Re: Amount of oil remaining in the engine

Thanks Dave for your experiment. So you found a tad over 1/2 quart of residual oil in contrast to the popular belief that there is 1 quart of residual oil in the engine.

Things that may affect your experimental finding:
>When you took / take the engine apart, are there any holes in the dipper troughs in the oil pan tray?
>Leakage of oil from the valve chamber via worn oil pump bushings / shaft, and excessive main and camshaft bearing clearances.
__________________
Bob Bidonde
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
Jim Brierley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 3,047
Default Re: Amount of oil remaining in the engine

I usually pull the pan with the engine still in the upright position, just because!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
Werner
Senior Member
 
Werner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Germany, near Aachen
Posts: 612
Default Re: Amount of oil remaining in the engine

Guten Abend,

yes, what Dave wrote I can confirm. A few months ago I had to remove the engine. Also because of the pockets in the valve chamber and because the soldered-in thread insert for the drain screw has a collar, there was a considerable amount of residual oil.

I didn't measure it, but I also guess about 1/2 liter / 16 ounces.
__________________
Beste Gruesse aus Deutschland,
Werner


Ford Model A Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Honda CB 450 K 1, 1968
Hercules Wankel Rotary Engine, 1976 (Canadian version)
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:57 PM   #5
Synchro909
Senior Member
 
Synchro909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,650
Default Re: Amount of oil remaining in the engine

Thank you Werner. I've been trying to work out what they are talking about 17 ounces? 1/2 a quart? It's a different language especially when the US gallon and US ton are unique to that country.
At times, I have tried to find a conversion table or conversion factor but so far, I haven't found one that specified whether the ounces/quarts are US or imperial. Very confusing!
__________________
Life is not measured by how many breaths you take but by the times your breath is taken away.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:37 PM   #6
California Travieso
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Moreno Valley, CA
Posts: 632
Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso
Default Re: Amount of oil remaining in the engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Thank you Werner. I've been trying to work out what they are talking about 17 ounces? 1/2 a quart? It's a different language especially when the US gallon and US ton are unique to that country.
At times, I have tried to find a conversion table or conversion factor but so far, I haven't found one that specified whether the ounces/quarts are US or imperial. Very confusing!
Hey Synchro,

Blame it on the British. Since Australia is still part of “Empire”, I would think you would have kept the weird British System. Wish the U.S. had gone to the Metric System. They teach it in science classes over here but it hard to visualize because everything else is in pints, quarts, and gallons.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:32 PM   #7
1crosscut
Senior Member
 
1crosscut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 1,279
Default Re: Amount of oil remaining in the engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Thanks Dave for your experiment. So you found a tad over 1/2 quart of residual oil in contrast to the popular belief that there is 1 quart of residual oil in the engine.

Things that may affect your experimental finding:
>When you took / take the engine apart, are there any holes in the dipper troughs in the oil pan tray?
>Leakage of oil from the valve chamber via worn oil pump bushings / shaft, and excessive main and camshaft bearing clearances.
Bob you make a good point. However I won't be pulling the pan on the engine as it is coming out for other non engine related maintenance along with putting a higher compression head on it.
Engine was completely rebuilt 5000 miles ago by Herm Kohnke so I'm pretty sure that excessive wear isn't a factor on this one.
__________________
Dave

It'll feel better when it quits hurting.
1crosscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:40 AM   #8
Synchro909
Senior Member
 
Synchro909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,650
Default Re: Amount of oil remaining in the engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Hey Synchro,

Blame it on the British. Since Australia is still part of “Empire”, I would think you would have kept the weird British System. Wish the U.S. had gone to the Metric System. They teach it in science classes over here but it hard to visualize because everything else is in pints, quarts, and gallons.

David Serrano
Dave, I understand the British system (I grew up with it) but why did you Americans fiddle with it? If you're going to use a "gallon", why not use the "proper" or original gallon. Likewise a ton. I've never heard an explanation for why liquid measures and weights were changed by you guys but not distances. I'd love to hear if anybody can explain it, really.
The confusion IMO, comes about because we don't know which gallon or quart or ton is being used when figures are quoted. If everybody used metric, we would all know what is going on. As far as I know, the US is the only place in the world that is not.
Like you I think the US would be better off gong metric but it's not up to me. When we changed, as I remember, things went quite smoothly with the possible exception of the more senior people who had difficulty for a while getting used to he new way. Kids these days have no clue about the imperial system.
__________________
Life is not measured by how many breaths you take but by the times your breath is taken away.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:53 AM   #9
klawockvet
Senior Member
 
klawockvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Klawock, AK/Kanab, UT
Posts: 297
Default Re: Amount of oil remaining in the engine

Wikapedia is your friend: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...rement_systems


Now you know.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:09 AM   #10
Synchro909
Senior Member
 
Synchro909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,650
Default Re: Amount of oil remaining in the engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawockvet View Post
Wikapedia is your friend: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...rement_systems


Now you know.
That certainly shows how complicated having two imperial systems has made things!
Oh how simple things would be if we all used metric (just ask NASA!).
__________________
Life is not measured by how many breaths you take but by the times your breath is taken away.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #11
mike657894
Senior Member
 
mike657894's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bay City Michigan
Posts: 1,017
Default Re: Amount of oil remaining in the engine

I thought the accepted amount was 1/2 a qaurt(32oz/.946 liters) or 16ish ounces near to a half a liter. How did rotating the engine get more oil out of the plug? I was expecting you to have pulled the pan and poured the excess into a measure.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:00 PM   #12
Jim Brierley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 3,047
Default Re: Amount of oil remaining in the engine

Guten morgen Werner, and to all. The reason we here in the States haven't gone metric is because our leaders are just plain stupid!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:08 PM   #13
aford193031
Member
 
aford193031's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 67
Default Re: Amount of oil remaining in the engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Guten morgen Werner, and to all. The reason we here in the States haven't gone metric is because our leaders are just plain stupid!
Maybe political but why change something “we” setup to be our measurements. That’s like saying we should change our language.
Sorry just could not resist.😡
aford193031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:36 PM   #14
Werner
Senior Member
 
Werner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Germany, near Aachen
Posts: 612
Default Re: Amount of oil remaining in the engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
That certainly shows how complicated having two imperial systems has made things!
Oh how simple things would be if we all used metric (just ask NASA!).
Yes, the non-metric system has many disadvantages!

Machines that are manufactured for the USA or sold to Europe from there require different manufacturing machines and other tools. This makes these devices very expensive.

There have also been serious accidents. A Boeing crashed in the USA because gallons were mistaken for liters when checking fuel.

The first Ariane 4 had to be blown up because metric and non-metric values ​​were incorrectly implemented in the flight control system.

Another major confusion is that the USA not only uses inches for thread of screws, but also use other flank angles. An English inch screw does not fit on an American nut!


But we stray away from the topic. I am not entitled to politicize here.
__________________
Beste Gruesse aus Deutschland,
Werner


Ford Model A Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Honda CB 450 K 1, 1968
Hercules Wankel Rotary Engine, 1976 (Canadian version)
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:46 PM   #15
1crosscut
Senior Member
 
1crosscut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 1,279
Default Re: Amount of oil remaining in the engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
I thought the accepted amount was 1/2 a qaurt(32oz/.946 liters) or 16ish ounces near to a half a liter. How did rotating the engine get more oil out of the plug? I was expecting you to have pulled the pan and poured the excess into a measure.
I rotated the entire engine while it was on the engine stand not just the crank shaft.
__________________
Dave

It'll feel better when it quits hurting.
1crosscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.