Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
oldsmerc

Default Ebay no friendly these days.

It has been a while since I have listed parts on Ebay so I was very surprised to find huge fee increases and a requirement to use Paypal or a like kind service for all transactions. I went on chat and got a very smart assed answer. I guess they think they have a captive audience, and maybe they do. Comments???
oldsmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Andy

Default Re: Ebay no friendly these days.

I prefer to sell here. It may not bring top dollar and I never know if I asked enough. It sure is nicer dealing with other Barners and not eBay. I have run into some real deranged folks over there. Everybody here has been great.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
Barry-ct

Also, if there's a problem, they back the buyer, not the seller. THey rob you left and right for fees for listings, sales and even a fee for the seller to get paid thru PayPal. They're the only ones making money , THey know they are the only game in town aqs auction sites go and act accordingly. When I list, I state, NO PAYPAL in big letters and cancel any payments made thru paypal.

Barry

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
19Fordy

Smile Re: Ebay no friendly these days.

Kind of like a BJ Auction. They win no matter what.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
ersatz

I too definitely agree that eBay is not there for the "little guy" who put them where they are today. I used to sell a variety of items from antiques, collectibles & parts. They make it hard for the guy who just wants to clear out a few parts and make a couple of $'s. They've geared everything now to commercial & volume seller's. It used to be fun to list items for sale, but NOT any more.
ersatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
Frank The Plumber

I bought a glass kit, Guy sent me a box of sand, I called him, it said glass kit, I told them, it said glass kit. I had the bill reversed on my credit card, the next month I get rebilled by the credit card, it says glass kit. The vendor evaporated like 2 days after he sold a bunch of glass kits, resurfaced intermittently over the next few months as different guys. Sold a lot of glass kits. I did get a refund but it was a big hassle.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
George/Maine

I think craiges list is kicking there ass.I just listed and item and low and be hold they now will take money orders and p checks.I never liked Pay Pal and the 3% they charge a seller when buyer using credit card.Feed back I think is the only tool you have,about the seller.
Its still good but few buyers.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
Lawson Cox

Ebay sucks big time. Impossible to talk to anyone. They messed me up two or three times with my seller name and password. I had to re register under a different name and password, and they even messed up my pay pal account. Screw them.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
Digger

Agreed Ebay blows. I had a whole big shelf full of small stuff that I wanted to sell, too much cost and pain through them. I put it all in my Explorer, took it to the Mission Trail V8 Club swap meet on the weekend, came home empty. And it was great to meet and joke around with Ford-types, and see that the stuff will get used. Only item left was a '34 glove box radio....pretty beat up.
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
Halvor

You think car parts are a problem on E bay ..I bought a watch and it has been hell. dont speak Thai and to get some one to help from e bay is a joke.
Halvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
hbleadsled

Meg Whitmen now running for Gov. of Ca. set all that up for ebay used to be that if you would asked a seller if he would accept a US postal money order ,he would .not now .a lot of sellers tired ebay bull would state NO PAY PAL I don't think that works any more. Harold,central coast Ca.
hbleadsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:03 AM   #12
Hoop

"I think craiges list is kicking there ass."

For those who are not aware of it, eBay owns about 1/4 of Craigslist. They have been suing each other over control.

Here's the interesting part. Craigslist charges no fees and has no advertising. Where's their money come from?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_711795.html
Old 09-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #13
Joe AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
"I think craiges list is kicking there ass."

For those who are not aware of it, eBay owns about 1/4 of Craigslist. They have been suing each other over control.

Here's the interesting part. Craigslist charges no fees and has no advertising. Where's their money come from?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_711795.html
Not sure, but I've been told Craigslist makes their profit on "help wanted" ads, and real estate ads in some locations. Trust me, if there wasn't money in it, they wouldn't be doing it..........
Joe AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #14
cbillelder

I haven't listed anything on Ebay in over a year and a half...ever since they instituted their Paypal only crap. Listing fees and commission fees (value added they call it) are one thing, but to charge the seller to get his own money out of Paypal is too much! I still have PURCHASED many items since then on Ebay. I always ask ahead of time if I can pay with a postal money order and have yet to be turned down. Ebay is still turning the screws, though. I recently got notified by them (case number and all) for being a non-paying bidder because my sending a money order for payment to the seller didn't come up on their radar (duh!). I had to fax them a copy of the money order and receipt to appeal this. Haven't heard back from them as yet. If Ebay would stick to their original goal of simply getting buyers and sellers together and quit trying to micromanage the whole transaction process, we all (and they) would be much better off. In the meantime, Craigslist and Fordbarn are where it's at.
cbillelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #15
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbillelder View Post
I haven't listed anything on Ebay in over a year and a half...ever since they instituted their Paypal only crap. Listing fees and commission fees (value added they call it) are one thing, but to charge the seller to get his own money out of Paypal is too much! I still have PURCHASED many items since then on Ebay. I always ask ahead of time if I can pay with a postal money order and have yet to be turned down. Ebay is still turning the screws, though. I recently got notified by them (case number and all) for being a non-paying bidder because my sending a money order for payment to the seller didn't come up on their radar (duh!). I had to fax them a copy of the money order and receipt to appeal this. Haven't heard back from them as yet. If Ebay would stick to their original goal of simply getting buyers and sellers together and quit trying to micromanage the whole transaction process, we all (and they) would be much better off. In the meantime, Craigslist and Fordbarn are where it's at.
Guess I do not understand why anyone would rather pay with a money order than PayPal. Money orders are not free,USPS ones are $1.10 for up to $500.00 plus gas to get to post office and aggravation of waiting in line at least at nearest one to me. Sure easier for me to just push a key to confirm payment,I just checked again my last purchases and Ebay or PayPal charged nothing,no fee to transfer money to seller, sure seems better and cheaper to me than buying a money order. The seller gets charged a 1.9%-2.9% fee and I as a seller will take that also,most of the time instant payment, no waiting a week to get it in the mail and verifying validity,get stuff moved out. To me better than a few years ago trying to cash checks or money orders from outside US.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #16
Scott/Mn

I used ebay quite a bit 8-10 years ago and it worked well- I sold my daughter's saxophone, bought new wheels (and other parts) for my Ford, and a new barrel for my shotgun. Two years ago someone highjacked my user name and password, and paypal charged my bank account twice for a transaction. Those problems were eventually straightened out, but I have not used ebay since- Ford barn swap meet is a much better alternative. I do look at the v8 Fords listed for sale just for fun, however.
Scott/Mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #17
Bob/Pa

I was a small seller on ebay and they suspended me cause I followed their rules on shipping but since I was'nt a POWER SELLER they would'nt discuss it. They said I could still buy ? Yea right. They make their money on the power seller and they can break rules and get away with it.
Bob/Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #18
34pickup

I used to sell stuff on there until they made Paypal mandatory and raised their fees.Paypal screwed my daughter out of a couple of transactions that turned out to be their fault but they wouldn't remedy it.I have since heard of a lot of problems people have with Paypal.I buy and sell stuff I have now at swap meets and Craigslist and American Classifieds.Ebay is the main cause of inflating the price of old cars and parts anyway.The people with more money than sense always run up the price of items beyond their true value.I have sold near worthless crap on Ebay for a lot of money...but if a fool will pay that for it,I will let him buy it.I surely would not pay that much though.But no more Ebay for me either.
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #19
Mr 42

Ebay has opened up a whole possibility for me to buy Parts that i only imagined i could find , since i live in Sweden. And before internet i had to trust people going over to USA and export parts to Sweden.

Now i can buy them on Ebay, and get them by airmail within 10 days. And Paypal is my security, id never send Money order over To USA, they cost me a lot and i dont have any idead who picks it up. Know a couple of Swedsih guys thet have lost Big money by using Money orders, and the Cops dont care here in Sweden or in USA.

So Ebay Paypal works for me.and i got 2314 hits on Ford Flathead just know. Still some parts to buy :-)
Mr 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #20
Russ/40

Lars, I'm going to crash this thread, since I did not hear from you via "Private Messege."
Where are you with the roadster these days? Are you driving it, or is it back down for restoration?
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote