Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2017, 11:21 PM   #21
Fordors

Default Re: Were any of the 40 sedan deliveries built as standards

The Panel Delivery will have two rear doors and the Sedan Delivery only one. And while the 112" wheelbase Panel I mentioned previously looks to use the automobile hood that is not the case. The truck cowl is different and the rear of the hood has a different shape to fit the larger cowl.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:28 PM   #22
38bill

The sedan delivery was styled more after a car while the panel delivery was styled after the truck line. I think the problem is that the two are commonly misnamed. I see SD's called PD's and PD's called SD's. I also see many SD'd labeled as "Deluxe" and I wonder if that isn't just tacked on because they were more deluxe than the panel deliveries.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:56 PM   #23
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38bill View Post
The sedan delivery was styled more after a car while the panel delivery was styled after the truck line. I think the problem is that the two are commonly misnamed. I see SD's called PD's and PD's called SD's. I also see many SD'd labeled as "Deluxe" and I wonder if that isn't just tacked on because they were more deluxe than the panel deliveries.

The deluxe and panel labels may have started with the Model A. Ford called the car-style delivery deluxe and the truck-ish one panel.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:42 AM   #24
willowbilly3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
The Panel Delivery will have two rear doors and the Sedan Delivery only one. And while the 112" wheelbase Panel I mentioned previously looks to use the automobile hood that is not the case. The truck cowl is different and the rear of the hood has a different shape to fit the larger cowl.
Also the Panel has the spare tire embedded into the passenger side.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:56 AM   #25
Terry,OH

Both are 112" WB. the Panel has an outside spare tire and tail light on the rear door and larger interior. The Sedan delivery has the spare tire inside and tail light on the fender the interior is about 8" shorter and nearly 10" shorter in height, than the Panel.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:45 AM   #26
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Both are 112" WB. the Panel has an outside spare tire and tail light on the rear door and larger interior. The Sedan delivery has the spare tire inside and tail light on the fender the interior is about 8" shorter and nearly 10" shorter in height, than the Panel.
Terry, the taillight on the sedan delivery mounts on a stand on the left corner of the body.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:47 AM   #27
Kube

Okay guys, I had a chance to go through all of the pertinent documents I have in my library respective of exactly what Ford built in 1940. There are no records of a Ford V8 (aka "Standard") SEDAN DELIVERY being built.
Until someone can find some documentation that states otherwise, I will have to continue to believe no such vehicle was built.
The so called "authentication" of the vehicle witnessed (earlier post) I believe to be contrived.
Authenticated by who?
It is simple to swap the respective parts from the Ford V8 model to the Deluxe - absolutely simple. I have no doubt that's what was witnessed as "authenticated".
Old 08-29-2017, 09:11 AM   #28
rotorwrench

My guess is that the 1941 sedan delivery messes with folks head since it looks like a cross between a 1941 pickup and a 1940 standard. Too many folks assume things are correct without doing the due diligence and actually finding the documentation. Some of the real early 1941 SDs may have been sold and titled as 1940 models by mistake. Some states titled stuff the year that you did the transaction and not for the model year of the vehicle.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:53 AM   #29
outlaw

Found this on the HAMB. For your viewing pleasure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4955.jpg (103.8 KB, 87 views)
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #30
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Found this on the HAMB. For your viewing pleasure.
That is a '41 SD as witnessed by the trim on the hood and the recessed gas filler. While not as clean as the gas door on later models the 1941 was better looking than the more prominent filler on the '40.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:21 AM   #31
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
The 112" Panel was mentioned because it used the Pickup front styling, as compared to the 122" and 134" wb Panels that used the truck front end styling.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:35 PM   #32
wisbangman

From what I have gleaned from this thread, chances are, if you see a 1940 Ford Standard Sedan delivery, it will probably be sitting next to a 1940 Ford Standard Convertible Coupe!
wisbangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:13 PM   #33
JWL
Member Emeritus

I have seen 40 std. deliveries. However, I CANNOT testify as to the originality.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:25 PM   #34
deuce_roadster

I have also seen 40 V8 (std) convertibles but I don't think they were assembled by Ford. My original 40 Showroom price poster only shows the Convertible Club Coupe listed with the Deluxe cars, not the V8, or V8 60 list.
Too bad Commercial vehicles aren't listed too.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:10 AM   #35
Milt/Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjeff View Post
I am wanting to build models of versions that the model companies did not produce,if a 40 standard delivery was made then I want to build one and if a 39 deluxe delivery was made I also want to build one. I know with plastic anything is possible but not wanting to build what ifs right now.
The cowl is different on a 39 standard vs a 39 deluxe,and would be a hard one to convert.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:24 PM   #36
wisbangman

In looking for supporting information , there is a paragraph on page 140 of ' The Classy Ford V8 ' by Lorin Sorensen. It states that after 1940 , ALL Ford bodies, were made by Ford and Lincoln. The caption on page 112 indicates that the 1939 Sedan Delivery bodies were made by Briggs. Other information in the same book, and others, indicate that 35,36,37,and 38 Sedan Delivery bodies were also built by Briggs. The caption on page 114 indicates that 1940 Sedan Delivery bodies were body by Ford. The change in who was to build the body of the Sedan Delivery after 1939, may have something to do with Deluxe models only, after 1939. Briggs had used mostly Standard model bodies, but when Ford took over, they used a new, clean slate, thus their switch to Deluxe. Interesting enough, the V8 60 was only available in one Deluxe model in 1940 - the Sedan Delivery.
wisbangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:29 PM   #37
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I have also seen 40 V8 (std) convertibles but I don't think they were assembled by Ford. My original 40 Showroom price poster only shows the Convertible Club Coupe listed with the Deluxe cars, not the V8, or V8 60 list.
Too bad Commercial vehicles aren't listed too.
Deuce,

No V8 1940 convertibles were built by Ford. However, a number of them did get built with the 60HP engine. I was never able to find out why but did find proof that a number were built.
And of course a few (111) were built with the Mercury engine.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:50 PM   #38
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Deuce,

No V8 1940 convertibles were built by Ford.
Well, that statement will probably get the attention of a few. I'll cook-up a batch of popcorn. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:28 PM   #39
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Well, that statement will probably get the attention of a few. I'll cook-up a batch of popcorn. DD
I suppose I could have been a bit more clear although I know you knew exactly what I meant.
For the less informed... Ford did not build a "standard" in 1940. Rather, they built a "Ford V8" model.
By 1940 Ford insisted that the dealers / salesmen no longer referred to their lower cost model as a 'standard" as it simply sounded "cheap".
Instead, they were to be properly referred to as the "Ford V8".

By the way Coopman, I am glad you are able to make popcorn. I understand you live all too close to the catastrophe unfolding in and around the Houston area.
Stay safe please...
Old 08-31-2017, 02:53 PM   #40
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
By the way Coopman, I am glad you are able to make popcorn. I understand you live all too close to the catastrophe unfolding in and around the Houston area.
Thanks Kube......we managed to keep the popcorn dry during the last six days or so. We just got word that Mickey D's is open across the lake for a couple of hours as limited supplies last. Momma is off on a Golden Arches run as we haven't had Mickey Burgers in well over a week. Everything has been closed except for a VERY few gas stations since Friday. With the flooding, it's probably going to be very slow getting businesses re-supplied to operate. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote