Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
christian

Default Help with windshield installation

Hello all,

I did a seach but couldnt find exactly what I was looking for. I have a new winshield to replace the smashed one on my 31' s/w fordor. I have the frame out of the car with the broken glass in still, but i cant figure out how to take the frame apart to get the old glass out, and new glass in. Any ideas??? I must be missing something, I have been staring at it for over a half hour......

Thanks in advance.
christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Help with windshield installation

I'm not sure, but if it's like the 1930 then there's 3 screws on each end of the top of the frame. Remove those screws and use a 2 x 4 and hammer to tap the top of the frame off the glass. Then you should be able to use the wood and hammer to tap the bottom off.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
columbiA

At least on the S/W models,you dont have to unscrew the hinge from the header to remove W/S.Just unhook swing arms ,open W/S & wiggle it & pull it out sideways.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiA View Post
At least on the S/W models,you dont have to unscrew the hinge from the header to remove W/S.Just unhook swing arms ,open W/S & wiggle it & pull it out sideways.
I think he's asking about opening the actual frame to remove and replace the glass.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #5
mass A man

I believe Tom is on the right track. I replaced a S/W windshield years ago and as I remember, there were two flathead countersunk screws on either upper side, then once they're removed, the whole top frame channel comes off. I remember using a 2X4 and hammer to tap frame top out. Sides and bottom frame stay together. Maybe someone has done this more recently since I think I tried to forget that job! It was not fun.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
56servi

Just had mine apart. There are screws that hold the cross frame in that need to be removed. Here are some pictures that might help. I had the frame at the glass shop to get the old glass out & it took him about 1/2 hour to get it apart & the old glass out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Windshield frame 003.jpg (95.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Windshield frame 005.jpg (55.8 KB, 80 views)
56servi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
CHerdic

Had a similar experience with my 28-tudor. Two flat head screws in upper corners. Had to drillout rusted screws, clean up and retap for reattachment.
CHerdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Tom F OHIO

I took my windshield to the auto glass shop and they did it for me professionally. They really did a nice job And it was a very reasonable price too.

Tom.....
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:16 AM   #9
christian

Thanks everyone, I was able to get 2 of the 4 screws out, had to drill the others, they were badly rusted. All went well though, got the old glass out, cleaned it up and installed the new glass. I ended up just using the modern black urethane stuff instead of the cork, was easier.
christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #10
Craig Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Thanks everyone, I was able to get 2 of the 4 screws out, had to drill the others, they were badly rusted. All went well though, got the old glass out, cleaned it up and installed the new glass. I ended up just using the modern black urethane stuff instead of the cork, was easier.
Are you talking about urethane sealant which comes in a tube?
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #11
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
How did the frame look in the channels? On mine water must have gotten below the glass/cork and the runway for the glass was partially rotted out.

This became one of the few places where I allowed myself the use of "bondo" on the car. Cleaned everything up and using scraps of wood that would fit the grooves and "remade" the groove to fit the glass.

Since then I've been waiting for the frame to rot through from the inside - and I've priced the repop windshield frames done in steel - although the aluminum versions are tempting. (They are not EXACTLY like the original windshielf and take a different rubber seal.)

So far (25 years) we're still going strong.

Be prepared for a struggle to get the glass back into the frame if you're using the original cork/cloth tape. You might want to use soap/detergent to help with the process. Miter the corners IIRC otherwise the doubled thickness will hinder. Black silicone helps seal at those corners. it can be wiped away and it looks OEM.

Joe K
Old 02-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #12
james.heider

Craig,

Is there a problem with using the urethane in a tube?
james.heider is offline   Reply With Quote