Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #21
jboggess

Default Re: Model T as a daily driver

Some T owners are comfortable driving a T in traffic, and some are not. Its your car, you know how it drives and what its capable of. You know your roads and traffic. Ive been yet to be pulled over in a Model T or any old car for any reason but if i ever did at least i could say i have been. In the end its your car, drive it how ever you want to.
jboggess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:19 PM   #22
V12Bill

Antique tags in my state prohibit daily driving to work as does my insurance company.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:13 PM   #23
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
Antique tags in my state prohibit daily driving to work as does my insurance company.
That is why the charges for those items are lower, it is still your choice.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:02 PM   #24
Gary loves Fords

I tour with my 1909 and 1927 Model T's. On average we cover over 100 miles in a day. If you keep checking the oil, coolant, tire pressure and gas supply they are as reliable as a Model A, just not as fast. 35 to 40 MPH all day long is no big deal for a Model T Ford. Besides, they are a blast to drive.
Gary loves Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:05 PM   #25
Gary loves Fords

If you get a plate that is the same year as you car and leave it in its original color, you can drive it as a daily driver, instead of a historical plate that they don't want you driving daily.
Gary loves Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:19 PM   #26
McMimmcs

Your safety and the safety of others is the prime consideration. When they were daily drivers in the teens all cars drove to the prevailing conditions. Today you will be the least safest car on the road. Is it worth it and bottom line is why do you want to do it? Is it strictly financial?
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:22 PM   #27
39portlander

Well nothing like bringing up a good debate from the past, I wonder if he has been driving a T as a daily driver? Well since were on the topic....

Drive it, model A,T or flathead ford. Did you spend all that time and labor/parts to let it collect dust in your garage? It's finally spring get it out there and use it.

It might be a horseless carriage with a motor but millions before us drove them from point A to point B then why not now, thats what the darned thing was made for.

You know your roads and traffic, pick your routes accordingly during the work week when that ever happens and go for it

Is it worth it, if you actually had one and new how to drive one that wouldn't even be a question.

Neighbor: hey Jim don't you have a real nice brass model T.

Jim: As a matter of fact I do, just put another thousand dollars in parts/shipping and my labor fixing it up over the winter.

Neighbor: Dang Jim why don't you take that T out more, drive it to work a few times during the week the weather is great!

Jim: Awe man I can't it's the least safest car on the road and oh boy the "safety" aspect is concerning, yeah I'm actually scared of it because some people think its not safe to drive. What a dilemma.

Makes total sense Stay safe, keep your social distance and drive your Model T fellas!!

Last edited by 39portlander; 04-01-2020 at 06:54 PM.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:34 PM   #28
McMimmcs

Get it in writing from your insurance company that you are covered as a daily driver and to and from work. If not you can have a claim disallowed and lose your life savings. Get it in writing from the state that your plates allow daily driver and to and from work.
Haggerty does not allow either one for sure !
Old 04-01-2020, 08:11 PM   #29
J Franklin

Had a horse once that fought going where it didn't want to go and would rear up and balk kinda like some model T Fords. Well I was never concerned much until everybody told me how I would surely get killed. Heck the Lone Ranger had a horse do that every episode and he never got mashed! Drive your T but do find out if the license and insurance you bought allows everyday driving.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:54 AM   #30
Aarongriffey

Yes, you’re right Red. And the guy with the 14 touring had a Ruckstell which is an under drive. That makes the car easier to stop at city speeds, it’s like running along in second gear, if a T had one.
What I found right away was that people will pull out right in front of you and you don’t always have enough space to stop. Too many times I’ve had to lock up the rear wheels. You just have to drive with that in mind.
It goes without saying that outside brakes are a must. Putting the tools and extra parts under the rear seat instead o f the front seat also helps. A T will stop shorter with two people in the rear seat than without. Fresh tires also help.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:13 AM   #31
McMimmcs

Life is fragile and precious. I would never forgive the fool that injured or killed my relatives because he decided to drive a 100 year old car that was not safe on today's roads. Whether it's done for show or out of financial necessity there is no justification. If I have offended someone it was not intentional but I had a brother killed by a moron driving an unsafe vehicle. There is no excuse for stupidity !
Old 04-02-2020, 02:32 PM   #32
J Franklin

It should be very hard to kill someone driving a modern car with a lightweight slow Model T if it is in good restored condition. A pedestrian can be killed by a bicycle or moped.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #33
39portlander

So.... this almost two year old thread has made me realize two things, we still do not know if the fella who started this conversation is actually driving a model T as a daily driver and that those of us who own and drive a model T are "stupid" for doing so

We are truly sorry for your loss, however questioning our intellect is your own personal problem and please seek professional help.

This Fordbarn is for those of us who own, drive and try to service Ford vehicles and no where in this post or website has any one desired to operate a vehicle that was unsafe. Opinions may vary with knowledge and driving skill.

So Mr. unhappy in and around Dollywood Tennessee I would direct your concerns to the MTFCA executive board, staff and editor you might learn something about a Model T.

Seeing that you have issues with 100 year old vehicle and decided to lecture us on the model T forum, contact the Smoky Mountain T's MTFCA chapter. I'm sure you will get a very warm welcome there as well Adios Amigo!

Last edited by 39portlander; 04-02-2020 at 05:53 PM.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:34 PM   #34
McMimmcs

If you read his other post he says he knows it's not safe. Possibly you should read it amigo and apologize !
Old 04-02-2020, 07:58 PM   #35
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
If you read his other post he says he knows it's not safe. Possibly you should read it amigo and apologize !
If he is driving an unsafe car, he needs to park it!
Old 04-03-2020, 05:38 PM   #36
juanvaldez

Nothing is safe! Around 40,000 folks died on America's highways last year and I am guessing a Model T was not involved in any of them. I have a Lotus 7 as a daily driver, it ain't safe.
juanvaldez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:32 PM   #37
J Franklin

Here is your daily driver, take some notes!

https://youtu.be/Qj5ABgjuK2c
Old 04-08-2020, 09:18 AM   #38
juanvaldez

Inspirational!
juanvaldez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:54 PM   #39
RobK

If you feel that one hundred year old cars are unsafe to drive on todays roads, why are you on this forum?
RobK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:12 AM   #40
JoeBauer

Safety is relative.

A Model T is not as safe as a modern car that has air bags, seatbelts, structural body strength, anti-lock braking, etc. etc. Neither is a motorcycle. Safety is up to the driver, how well he knows his vehicle, how he drives, which roads he picks, and how good his maintenance is.

There are some roads a T should not be driven on, there is some weather a T should not be driven in, and some rush hour traffic should not be driven in.

And there are upgrades that can make a T much safer like auxiliary braking, lighting, Ruckstells, and high compression heads.

Most of my driving within 15 miles of home is in a T or TT. Suburban and city driving is the best, winding country roads with hills and no shoulders are to be avoided. Rush hour is bad news and I watch the weather report closely.

I consider a properly maintained and driven T safer than a motorcycle, but no where near as safe as a modern car.
JoeBauer is offline   Reply With Quote