Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
bdtutton

Default Model T as a daily driver

Hello,
I have a 1930 model A Tudor that I drive 9 miles each way to work when it is not raining or snowing. Even though it is 6v and has no heater I have driven it to work many times when it was only 15 degrees outside. Because I drive it so much I spend a ton of time doing maintenance and I think that is the reason the car has given me few problems and has never stranded me.

I have been looking at some 1915 Model T's and was wondering if everything was mechanically sound on the car and it was maintained on a weekly basis, would it possible to use as a daily driver? The route is 9 miles each way with only four stop signs, two traffic lights and not too many potholes. The traffic is light and the speed limit is 25-45 mph...but people don't mind you driving 35 mph. I have driven my model A 35 mph on the route just to see how people would react.

What do you think? Would a Model T hold up to daily use? I hear they run them all day every day at the museum in Dearborn.
bdtutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Model T as a daily driver

Model T Fords drove everywhere when they were new so if you build it as new it should be reliable as well.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:07 PM   #3
mhsprecher

I would worry most about stopping if you need to in a hurry. Make sure you can do that. You don't want to rear end someone or run over a dog or a person.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
redmodelt

Keep driving your Model A. In this day and age T's are not a good match for everyday driving, maybe once a week might be fine.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:27 PM   #5
daveymc29

I have a friend who had a 14 phaeton beck when the limits were 55. He had Rocky Mountain brakes and a Ruxell (sp) overdrive and had driven it from CA to the tip of Maine and came down the eastern seaboard. He sold it as "unsafe" when the speeds were lifted back above 55. He was able to cruise at 45 and that speed he could have the top down, fold the top half of the windshield and even wear a cowboy hat for shade all day. Maintenance was done every night before they turned in for the night. I didn't take long, but it had to be done religiously to remain reliable. He had no issues on the trip and got it back to CA in the same shape it left. So what? So, I wouldn't hesitate to drive one 9 miles on a road I know and where in short order everyone that uses that road will know when you're going to be out there. Enjoy, I have never owned a T, but if I do it will be a Brass T.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
jboggess

I've taken my 13 T on many tours where we drove 80 miles a day. They will run all day at 35 mph if the roads allow it. Get one! They are fun!
jboggess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #7
Royce P

Sure why not? The Model T is simpler and more reliable than a Model A. There are period correct heaters available that will be better than nothing when it is cold. The main things any Model T needs are good sound wheels, a good radiator, and good tires. Typically every T I buy needs all three to be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdtutton View Post
Hello,
I have a 1930 model A Tudor that I drive 9 miles each way to work when it is not raining or snowing. Even though it is 6v and has no heater I have driven it to work many times when it was only 15 degrees outside. Because I drive it so much I spend a ton of time doing maintenance and I think that is the reason the car has given me few problems and has never stranded me.

I have been looking at some 1915 Model T's and was wondering if everything was mechanically sound on the car and it was maintained on a weekly basis, would it possible to use as a daily driver? The route is 9 miles each way with only four stop signs, two traffic lights and not too many potholes. The traffic is light and the speed limit is 25-45 mph...but people don't mind you driving 35 mph. I have driven my model A 35 mph on the route just to see how people would react.

What do you think? Would a Model T hold up to daily use? I hear they run them all day every day at the museum in Dearborn.
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #8
Gary loves Fords

I have both a 1909 and a 1927 Model T. They both are touring cars, so cold weather bothers me. I tour extensively with both cars and some days the tours are over 100 miles. Just keep checking the coolant, tire pressure and oil. Carry a few extra parts like fan belt, spark plugs, carb gaskets and go for it. If my bum back would allow me to, Id drive my T's across the country tomorrow. Go for it. During the summer months I use my T's like daily drivers, pulling in to the drive up teller at the bank and grocery shopping. Just be prepared to answer a million questions. I love the attention and most of all I'm addicted to driving them. Gary
Gary loves Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:52 AM   #9
Olon1974

I see an old ford from time to time on my way to work and I used to wonder who is that daredevil. It can't be you since Michigan is too far but I think we've got your soulmate here
Olon1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #10
Dodge

I think the with the way your going to drive it you’ll be fine. The T’s do need more maintance than a Model A. When on a club tour we also go at least 100 miles in a day
so when the tour is over I always give it the once over looking at every thing and give it a
“Nut and bolt” (put a wrench on everything and make sure it’s still tight) and give a little squirt of oil and a shot of grease where ever it needs it.
You might think about transmission band choice using something like Kevlar bands to make them hold up longer.
Enjoy
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #11
15max

I drive T's several times a week. I drove my A daily when I had it. Your traffic would be a consideration. The T will not have the pickup and speed the A would. Several friends who drive A's did not like their T's as well. If you keep up the maintenance like you did the A the T should perform as well. I see no reason the T couldn't be as enjoyable but opinion vary.
15max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #12
Bulligen

I drove a 27 T roadster to high school in the early 70s, It was my only car. I was just careful, It did fine!
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #13
CharlieB

Sorry but Redmodelt has it right. There's a world of difference between the T and the A. The T is basically a wagon with a motor in it and the A is an automobile.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:38 AM   #14
dumb person

I dailyed (Dailied?) a T. In a small town it's fine. In a city with gridlock traffic it's still fine, because it's one of the faster cars when compared to people sitting in traffic texting (ok it's not perfect because they don't like sitting in gridlock)
Only where people drive fast & pass recklessly is a T a problem.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:11 AM   #15
J Franklin

The T would not be the problem in that last scenario. It would be the careless speeders, a problem for us all!
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:12 AM   #16
Alaska Mike

I would add rear end Babbitt to the checklist of items to be replaced.
Alaska Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:54 PM   #17
nhusa

CharlieB is right!
A T is a wagon with a motor an A is an automobile.
I usually say that a T is a horseless carriage and an A is an antique car.
Either way they are very different
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:06 AM   #18
Scottio57

My two cents is absolutely you can use your T as a dd in the that scenario. If you check out the mtfca forum you will find several folks that use their T as dd. I use mine more than any other vehicle I have. I just sold my A for several reasons but one is because I just never used it. My T is my go to vehicle when I go anywhere in town. The speed limits here are a little higher than what you described and I have not had a problem yet. 6 miles of city like driving each way to work and back. It’s a blast to drive.
Scottio57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:51 PM   #19
redmodelt

Also comes down to insurance and what your state will allow, Re how it is licensed. Driving it once in a while is one thing but everyday, in traffic. I stand by what I said in the first place, not for everyday.
By the way, the person that asked the question, has never been back to post a reply.
I just looked and this was his last post and it was on from March 31. Hope he ok.

Last edited by redmodelt; 05-02-2018 at 01:26 AM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #20
Scottio57

Oh yeah. Your right red. Here in Ca. You cannot use horseless carriage plates for dd but you can use yom or current issue license plates. I declare realistic mileage to my insurance co.
Scottio57 is offline   Reply With Quote