Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2018, 03:46 PM   #1
barnstuf

Default Victoria Australia License Plate Question

I was given a Victoria license plate number CH-0193 white on red colors, undated. The person who gave me the plate thought that the letters CH meant it was for an Antique or Vintage car. Maybe someone from Australia would have an answer. Thanks!
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Victoria Australia License Plate Question

The system in the US is VERY different from what we do. I cannot understand the US system so I don't expect many of you to understand our way but I'll try to explain.
Firstly, we do not call them license plates. It is the driver who holds a license, the car is registered - so they are Registration Plates. For at least the last 60 years, we haven't had titles for cars and never have we put a tag on the "Rego Plate". We did however put a sticker in the corner of the windscreen with registration details but they have now been discontinued. With all police cars being fitted with scanners that can read the registration plates and check the details against the police records in real time, there is no need to have the info on display on the car.
Our older vehicles (over 25 years) are eligible for a Club Permit or, as it is sometimes colloquially known, "Red Plate Rego" or "Cheap Rego". I think that is similar to the antique registration some of you guys can get and is available to a member of a recognised car club and allows the (unregistered) car to be driven on the roads for either 45 or 90 days a year. That is plenty for most of us. The fee is a fraction of the annual full fee but the driver must keep a record of his use of the car by filling in a line in a log book before commencing a drive.
Atre you confused yet???
There are red plates with different number sequences depending on the age of the car. Your CH plate is from a car that was made post WWII. The "CH" stands for "Classic and Historic"
I have 4 cars on Club Permit and a 5th on the way. There is no way I could have that many toys if I had to pay the full annual fee.
I hope I have explained that cearly enough but if not, PM me and I'll answer any ?s.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
barnstuf

Synchro 909 that is just the info I needed. I will also send you a PM. Many thanks!
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:33 PM   #4
Bill G

To add to the confusion, car registrations are administered by each of the 50 states; All with some variations on a theme. I don't know the legal term of registration versus license plate, but we do have drivers' licenses, and the car is registered.... but we do call them license plates.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #5
Synchro909

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbox51 View Post
To add to the confusion, car registrations are administered by each of the 50 states; All with some variations on a theme. I don't know the legal term of registration versus license plate, but we do have drivers' licenses, and the car is registered.... but we do call them license plates.Does anybody think that is a bit odd?
Over here, we have only 6 states and 2 territories in the same area as your lower 48. Each state has its own colour combination but there are no where near as many as you guys have. The differences between the states is minimal for registration details but there are a few differences in the road rules. They are gardaully being standardised though.