Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2018, 11:26 PM   #41
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Battery Tenders?

Thanks for the History lesson, eagle. Always open to learn something new. I never heard of this before.

I also came across this website. I see you can actually buy Battery Oil https://www.thermoil.com Lots of interesting info.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 11-25-2018 at 11:39 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:53 AM   #42
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post

Been comparing specs on B and D and Battery Tender brands. Battery Tenders are more costly than the B and D. The Battery Tenders are not switchable for 6v 12v, have to buy separate versions depending on voltage output.

Was thinking of buying a multi battery charger, but decided to buy individual chargers,. If a single battery charger fails, cheaper to replace then if the multi battery charger fails.

Any clear downside to using the B and D compared to the Battery Tender Brand? Both seem to be liked in the reviews on line.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:34 AM   #43
Badpuppy

Quote:
This one?

That's the one, but find it on Amazon for $17:

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...HaKoBxcQrRIIbA

Only downside is they use up wall outlets, but a power strip solves that problem. These are maintainers, only a couple amps output is all that is needed. The high-amp chargers are for charging up a discharged battery in a short time. You can get there with a trickle charger if you're in no hurry (days/weeks).

Last edited by Badpuppy; 11-26-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:38 AM   #44
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
That's the one, but find it on Amazon for $17:

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...HaKoBxcQrRIIbA

Only downside is they use up wall outlets, but a power strip solves that problem. These are maintainers, only a couple amps output is all that is needed. The high-amp chargers are for charging up a discharged battery in a short time. You can get there with a trickle charger if you're in no hurry (days/weeks).

As an FYI, tried to order from using your provided link at 17.88, switched me to EBay. Picture on the listing showed the B and D. Ordered and Cart shows qty. 2 Battery Tenders. Canceled the order, did not feel safe due to product switch.

So far Walmart on line has them at 16.98 + tax with a special free shipping offer if you have a $35 dollar minimum order.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #45
Badpuppy

There are many similar chargers which do pretty much the same thing. I guess amazon doesn't have those any more...
No, the price has gone up -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...3257386&sr=1-6

Similar prices on ebay, but watch for that bait-and-switch for 17.99.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #46
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
The Battery Tenders are not switchable for 6v 12v, have to buy separate versions depending on voltage output.
Any clear downside to using the B and D compared to the Battery Tender Brand? Both seem to be liked in the reviews on line.
FYI Deltran (Battery Tender) does make a switchable 6v/12v model https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...6-4c18a8348879

I have been using a 12v Battery Tender Jr. for years with no problems.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:16 PM   #47
JBill

I have a Die Hard charger/maintainer that seems to work well, but who knows about anything Sears-related these days. This unit is about five years old. It's completely electronic. It assesses the voltage (6 or 12) of the battery it's connected to, shows a percent of charge up to 100%, then switches automatically to "maintain." Likely a lot of other brands work the same. This one was about $30.00. Never feels warm, even when charging.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:58 PM   #48
midgetracer

I have had some failures with the old B&D maintainers. My Battery tenders are at least 10 years old and work great.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #49
Jim Brierley

I use solar too, on my trailer battery, connected thru the 7-way lighting plug. It is a 10 watt unit, less than 1 amp, works great.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #50
ronn

I decided to buy a couple because of this thread- found 2 on ebay brand new at 11. each

done deal!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:41 PM   #51
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
[
I have been using a 12v Battery Tender Jr. for years with no problems.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Same here no problems what so ever. Have two 12V and two 6V Deltran Battery Tenders they all work fine.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:46 PM   #52
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
As an FYI, tried to order from using your provided link at 17.88, switched me to EBay. Picture on the listing showed the B and D. Ordered and Cart shows qty. 2 Battery Tenders. Canceled the order, did not feel safe due to product switch.

So far Walmart on line has them at 16.98 + tax with a special free shipping offer if you have a $35 dollar minimum order.

Update - ordered 4 of the Black and Deckers - 1 of the 4 failed out of box, it would not detect a battery as being fully charged, and it shut off overnight. Ordered them from Walmart.com using PayPal. Easily returned via local Walmart, and since I used PayPal got the refund in cash. Also can choose to pickup at store, no shipping charge. Ordered another one.