Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
john hamilton

Default capri engine in model a

That Pinto thread was too long. A Capri engine was just like the Pinto but with more hp. I put the engine and 4-speed in one and it fit perfectly. The shifter was in just the right place. The Pinto shifter was not in a good place.

It just took some simple flat pieces bolted in for front mounts and a tube across the frame for the tranny mount. Could have easily been reversed.
john hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
kenparker

Default Re: capri engine in model a

Is the Capri engine a 2.0 liter or a 2.3 liter? I am installing a 2.3 in a chassi now.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
john hamilton

Capris were 2300 cc. I had a Model A exhaust system hooked up and it sounded like an A. To the uninitiated it looked like some type of early A conversion. Who was I to deny it?

I only did it because the car was assembled junk and the A engine wore out. The parts were all from different years and the fenders were plastic. Guess I didn't mention I put in a Jaguar XK-E running gear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XK-A (2).jpg (70.6 KB, 192 views)
john hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Jordan

Before the police show up, I'd like to see more pictures. I have no plans of running anything besides an A engine, but I would like to see how it's done.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
1oldtimer

I would also like pics of the trans and install.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
5window

Guess I'd leave it here-it sure wouldn't fly over on the HAMB!
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 AM   #7
fordcragar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker View Post
Is the Capri engine a 2.0 liter or a 2.3 liter? I am installing a 2.3 in a chassi now.
What are you using for a transmission and rearend?
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
kenparker

Boy! Is this ever gonna stir up the Model A police. Engine and trans are mounted in the frame. Had to custom build some engine mounts and had to do some other custom engineering to make things work. The tranny is a C-3 fromm a 70's Fairmount and the Rear end is not decided yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0616.JPG (171.5 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg harvey engine 1.jpg (145.6 KB, 183 views)
Old 12-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
PetesPonies

John, the early Capris also got the 2000 engine.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
PetesPonies

Ken, can I PM you for some specifics of your install?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
kenparker

Petesponies, sure PM me anytime.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
newshirt

This is much more interesting than the "restoration" theme of this forum. Let's have two hamb's!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
Ken, can I PM you for some specifics of your install?
Ken/Pete,

I am sure a lot of people are interested in this topic. Instead of giving the details off line I would like to suggest a thread on HAMB with a reference here to the thread.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
CarlG

There's a 29 frame with a pinto engine / c4 tranny on the swap meet page right now.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91020
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
1oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
There's a 29 frame with a pinto engine / c4 tranny on the swap meet page right now.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91020
It's really a 2.3, but still would work.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #16
CarlG

Seller's description, not mine.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #17
1oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Seller's description, not mine.
Sorry Carl, I was correcting the ad not you.

Mine came with an early Pinto 2.0 in it. Too stock for the HAMB and not stock enough for the Barn..........
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #18
PetesPonies

2.3 can be considered a Pinto engine as well. More 2.3s made it into Pintos than 2000s did.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #19
James Rogers

Quote:
2.3 can be considered a Pinto engine as well. More 2.3s made it into Pintos than 2000s did.
The 2.3 LL Mazda was the most prolific Ford engine used in any car or truck. This engine was used in the same basic design from 1974 till 1997 and in HP ratings from 90 to 205 the difference being carburation and cam design. Other improvements were to the ignition system and compression. If you want a hoss to use in a hot rod A, get a turbo charged intercooled engine from an 84-86 Mustang SVO rated at 205 HP with a 5 speed. Lots of horses from a little 140 CI four cylinder.

I am putting the head on my Ranger tomorrow because of a burnt valve. I got it for 500 and a replacement head and gaskets cost 400. Pretty good truck for 900$. This is the 8 valve 8 plug model introduced in 1988 and ended in 1997. Easy motor to work on and keep in tune. I checked the cylinder bores and can still see some cross hatch with 206000 miles on the odo.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #20
Glenn C.

When your on a tour, who wants to look under the hood anyway? It's your A, build it, and drive it to enjoy.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C. View Post
When your on a tour, who wants to look under the hood anyway? It's your A, build it, and drive it to enjoy.
Glenn, are you kidding? Just open any Model A hood and see how quickly a crowd gathers! LOL
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #22
PetesPonies

I don't know what you are saying James. I'm not disrespecting the 2.3, just that many were put in Pintos, after the 2000cc engine. I am putting a dual plug head engine back together as well at this time. Mine , at 201K miles " tuliped" an intake valve. But its been a good engine. Not sure why you call it Mazda, it was first built by Ford of Europe.

Last edited by PetesPonies; 12-08-2012 at 09:43 AM.
PetesPonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #23
James Rogers

Quote:
I don't know what you are saying James. I'm not disrespecting the 2.3, just that many were put in Pintos, after the 2000cc engine. I am putting a dual plug head engine back together as well at this time. Mine , at 201K miles " tuliped" an intake valve. But its been a good engine. Not sure why you call it Mazda, it was first built by Ford of Europe.
If you google Mazda B2300 engine you will see why. That engine was put in almost every Mazda and Ford application that required a 2300 CC engine from the time it was conceived till 97 when it was discontinued. In fact when you google Mazda B2300 engine it brings up the Ford Ranger truck since it used more of these engines than any other application.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #24
PetesPonies

I know Mazda used it as well, but it was designed by Ford of Europe and used for many years before it ever saw a Mazda. Ford did a lot of trading of engines and cross designing with Mazda , that they own a large stake in , but the Ford 2.3 could hardly be called a Mazda engine. The 2.3 that was used in Rangers after the SOHC 2.3 was dropped, is all Mazda. But that's another engine intirely.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #25
James Rogers

Quote:
I know Mazda used it as well, but it was designed by Ford of Europe and used for many years before it ever saw a Mazda. Ford did a lot of trading of engines and cross designing with Mazda , that they own a large stake in , but the Ford 2.3 could hardly be called a Mazda engine. The 2.3 that was used in Rangers after the SOHC 2.3 was dropped, is all Mazda. But that's another engine intirely.
Actually, the B2300 engine was built in Lima, Oh for Ford but is a Mazda engine. If you look at a 93 Mazda truck, it is an exact copy of a Ranger except for the emblem. It is a Mazda engine. If you go to a parts house and ask for parts it is listed as a Mazda B 2300.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #26
PetesPonies

James, I know the much of Ford's history and the cars they built along with Mazda. Since I restore Ford automobiles primarily, I'm a Ford nut Sure Mazda trucks became Ford Rangers, but it wasn't until 1994. Prior to that Mazda used their own trucks. They used Mitsubishi engjnes for a long time, but eventually used their own engines. Their first truck was built in the very early 60s. So for over 30 years, they built their own pickup trucks and powered them with Mitsubishi or Mazda engines. When their truck finally became a rebadged Ranger, they used the same power plant as a Ranger, thus a 2.3 was one of them. But up until then, they didn't use it. So they used it for just a few years . . and you want to call it a Mazda engine?? We are just going to have to agree to disagree. I see no logic in your claim . . but either way this isn't that important anyway.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #27
James Rogers

From wikipedia.

Lima OHC (LL)

2.3 (LL23)

The Ford Pinto used the OHC version, a 2.3 L (2302 cc) unit introduced in 1974 which has a 96.0 mm (3.78 in) bore and 79.5 mm (3.13 in) stroke. This version lasted until 1997 in various guises. The earliest units produced 66 kW (88 hp) and 160 N·m (118 lb·ft). This engine has also been known as the Lima engine, after the Lima Engine plant in Lima, Ohio, where it was first manufactured (it was also later manufactured in Brazil).
In 1979-80, a draw-through, non-intercooled turbo version was produced for Mustang Cobras and some Capris. Lack of dealership and owner training resulted in many stuck turbochargers and other maintenance problems. They were limited to 5 PSI of boost though Ford Motorsport sold a wastegate with an adjustable rod which allowed an increase of up to 9 PSI. It was used in this carbureted form in a number of passenger cars, from the Fairmont Futura Turbo to the 1979 Indy Pace Car edition Mustang.
In the 1980s, a turbocharged and intercooled version was used in the Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. This was made practical by the introduction of Ford's EECIV port fuel injection system; 1983's 2.3 Liter Turbo was the first production implementation of that advance in technology, which paved the way for across the board use in many Ford passenger car; however, the turbo version never made it into any Ford trucks. Output for this turbo/intercooled version was 142 kW (190 hp) and 325 N·m (240 lb·ft) for the 1987-88 models with the (T-5) 5-speed manual transmission.
The turbocharged and intercooled 2.3 was also used in the 1984-86 Mustang SVO, while the 1983–1984 Mustang TurboGT, 1985-89 Merkur XR4Ti, 1983–1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe and 1984–1986 Mercury Cougar XR7 all skipped the intercooler on their turbo versions, which dropped output to 155 hp (116 kW) and 205 ft·lbf (278 N·m) of torque. The SVO Mustang's output increased in 1985½ to 205 HP.
A dual-spark version (with two spark plugs per cylinder and distributor-less ignition) was introduced in the 1989 Ford Ranger and 1991 Ford Mustang. This version produced 78 kW (105 hp) and 183 N·m (135 lb·ft).
Applications:
2.5 (LL25)

A stroked (by 7 mm) version of the 2.3 OHC Ford Ranger engine appeared in 1998. It also used higher-flow cylinder heads for better intake and combustion. Output was 89 kW (119 hp) and 202 N·m (149 lb·ft). It was replaced in 2001 by the Mazda-derived Duratec 23, but Ford Power Products continues to sell this engine as the LRG-425.
Applications:
Old 12-09-2012, 03:20 AM   #28
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C. View Post
I agree it's his car but many here would take issue with it being an A anymore Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote