Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #21
okiegreaser

Default Re: Fordwood.com still in business?

I order a complete wood kit (top and body wood) for a '30 Sport Coupe from them about 2 months ago and just received it yesterday. The rear belt rail doesn't fit very good. The hole in the very center of the long piece of the belt rail isn't drilled in the center where it should be. The joints do not fit together correctly and a few holes aren't drilled in the same spot from piece to piece for a bolt to even pass through. The upper door post pieces are too long to fit in the b-pillar channel and a few other pieces in the kit look like they messed up cutting and said, "screw it, send it anyway". With the money that was paid for this complete kit, I am quite displeased with the craftsmanship.
I'm not equipped to do wood working in my current shop which is why I ordered a kit from them. Wish I would have seen this thread earlier and just ordered from the guy in NC. Sounds like you guys have had better experiences with him.
okiegreaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #22
Mitch//pa
BANNED

received my kits in less than a week from classic wood..and the fit was great.. very minor altering on my 30 tudor
one piece came thru broken called them and had a replacement in a few days
no hassle
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #23
wrndln

I had alignment problems like okeigreaser did. I bought a Classic Wood kit for the top and body wood. Some of the wood for my 28 special coupe fit perfectly (maybe 1/3 of it), for the next 1/3 of the kit I need to hog out a number of holes and do a slight amount of trimming. For the last 1/3, I had to plug some holes and redrill them and significantly cut and fit the wood. They said the body was probably in a wreck, but I am pretty sure it wasn't. I spent a lot of time installing the wood kit as the top contains a lot of weird shaped wood. Many of the joints, especially the 5 beltrail wood, were poor quality with 1/4" gaps in some of the joints. I have seen some wood made by Byron Meyers in Wichita, KS and the joint were unbelievably good. You could hardly slip a piece of paper between the joints. He made excellent wood kits.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #24
400A-64

Classic Wood sent me the Top wood kit including a Header. The header is slightly oversize for a individual fit. The front to rear side rails were a little long so I could trim to fit ( This kit is for a Slant windshield Sedan ) Most original headers have over the years either shrunk or rotted or both. I was very happy to shape with a rasp to fit. Remember that over the years the bodies that have not been wrecked have settled or distorted some. After fitting I took it all apart( numbering each piece. I then coated the pieces with log oil and set aside a few days to dry and gave them a second coat. They all went back together perfectly . You can see the result in the before top photo in the Jan/Feb19093 issue of the Restorer.
Bruce Davis [email protected]
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #25
Terry, NJ

I discovered That I needed the two piece R.R. hinge post for my Town Sedan. I thought about making it. but it involves cutting a huge radius to match the curve of the rear fender. I don't have a bandsaw or anything else I could accurately make this radius with, so I broke down and bought the two pieces from Classic wood. While on the phone with Steve Cannon, He told me that he can't get parts out fast enough. If it was a left side, it'd be at least 2 months, but he might have the right sides in stock. He did, and I received it two days later. It wasn't cheap! Over $220! However, The pieces were well made. He even was careful to follow the grain lines on the curved pieces. They needed a little sanding to reduce the width a little and they fit very well.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #26
400A-64

Over the years I have seen beautiful reproductions of model A wood that did not LOOK GOOD in the car.Many home wood fabticators use very poor originals to copy. The top wood is the problem. Unles you have the correct curve, your top will look terrible. Such a waste of time and talent!
Bruce
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:18 AM   #27
ken matthews

I got my full wood kit last week shipped to la.Took six months from order
ken matthews is offline   Reply With Quote