Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
jim galli

Default '21 - '22 Coupe is home safe. Tire questions.

The Coupe is home safe to Tonopah! Pleased as punch. Convinced the paint you see is the paint Henry put on 90 years ago. It'll wax up and be a very neat preserved original. Stewart Warner speedo showing 13,000 miles.

The engine turns over readily. Transmission is broke. Do I have to raise the body up to get the motor / trans out on this one?

Never done Model T tires. What do we like. Are the Wards Riverside's (cheapest) OK for a driver? Guess I'll need tubes and flaps too. Are they hard to mount up? Looks like Sawzall work to get the old ones off. All 4 say 30X3 1/2"

Anybody got a decent used set they took off a trailerqueen car to put shiny new ones on?

My plans are for this car to smell like grease and oil and gasoline, and to run when I mash the starter button.
jim galli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
MrModelT

Default Re: '21 - '22 Coupe is home safe. Tire questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim galli View Post
The Coupe is home safe to Tonopah! Pleased as punch. Convinced the paint you see is the paint Henry put on 90 years ago. It'll wax up and be a very neat preserved original. Stewart Warner speedo showing 13,000 miles.

The engine turns over readily. Transmission is broke. Do I have to raise the body up to get the motor / trans out on this one?

Never done Model T tires. What do we like. Are the Wards Riverside's (cheapest) OK for a driver? Guess I'll need tubes and flaps too. Are they hard to mount up? Looks like Sawzall work to get the old ones off. All 4 say 30X3 1/2"
Glad to hear you got the ol' girl home!

When you say the trans is "broke"...what exactly are we talking about? The T transmission is a 2-speed planetary setup consisting of 3 drums for Reverse (closest to the flywheel), Low gear (center) and Brake (outside drum).

These drums each have a band (steel with a riveted lining) that is tightened by the application of the appropriate pedal (Low on the left, Reverse in the center, Brake on the right).

High gear is driven by the multi-disk clutch down the center of the drums.

What exactly is it doing..or not doing?

The body does not need to removed to access or remove it so to speak. The engine and trans are one piece...so if you are going to pull the trans..the entire engine has to come out. You can pull the engine without removing the body if the trans cover or "hogshead" is removed:

This can be done by removing the front floor boards.

The first thing I would get HANDS DOWN is a copy of the Ford Model T Service Manual...the T-1 manual. which is Re-printed.

MrModelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
MrModelT

Oh, and Tires are easy. Riversides are good (popular with the T guys), but both Coker and Universal tires have wide ranges of 30 x 3 1/2" tires for those.

All T's ran 30 x 3 1/2" tires until 1925 when they went to 21 x 4.50" tires
Old 05-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
jim galli

Thanks Clayton.

Yes, I need books. I'm a book guy.

Hogshead is removed and low gear drum is visibly broken. Part of the drum area is missing. I guess I won't know if there is other damage until I take things apart, but that at least is visibly broke. Bands are there, but shabby looking. I didn't get a tin can of nuts and bolts. Some kids took it apart in the late 1960's (my age, you weren't born) and when school started they got busy with other things, and the T sat. Luckily, obviously, inside.

Who do you like for new parts?
Old 05-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
MrModelT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim galli View Post
Thanks Clayton.

Yes, I need books. I'm a book guy.

Hogshead is removed and low gear drum is visibly broken. Part of the drum area is missing. I guess I won't know if there is other damage until I take things apart, but that at least is visibly broke. Bands are there, but shabby looking. I didn't get a tin can of nuts and bolts. Some kids took it apart in the late 1960's (my age, you weren't born) and when school started they got busy with other things, and the T sat. Luckily, obviously, inside.

Who do you like for new parts?
That book is a MUST. I have one for my Roadster and keep it with me or the car ALL THE TIME....won't leave the shop without it.

Good thing is, almost everything...and I mean EVERYTHING for a T is available today. Lang's Antique Auto Parts in Wincheldon, MA, Chaffin's Garage in St. Corona, CA and Snyder's Antique Auto Parts in New Springfield, OH are all good. MAC'S Antique Auto Parts is good as well.

New drums can be had for sure and bands can be relined very simply. They even re-pop the old "Scandinavia" linings...which do work contrary to what you might hear elsewhere.

The drums can get worn if the linings are shot and the bands/rivets are scoring them, improper adjustment of the bands (the bands dragging on the drums causes heat and can crack the drums), incorrect driving habits (slipping or riding the bands can also heat, stress and crack the drums) or a possible "panic stop" where all 3 pedals were mashed down in an attempt to stop the car. This last one usually cracks the reverse drum though...so it is probably one of the other scenarios...especially if all 3 drums show substantial wear.

Are the drums scored real bad?

If the tranny has damage, it is a good bet the motor might be too....or at least be a little tired. I know you are planning to rebuild the engine which is good. If you want to drive and enjoy the car..have it done right by someone that knows what they are doing: New Babbitts (rods and mains), checking the block, balancing EVERYTHING, etc.

...Also, Try to get a late model ('26-27) "EE" series crank. All measurements are the same, but they are much stouter then the earlier cranks...

Last edited by MrModelT; 05-07-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
[email protected]

Andy Loso (Farmallcub49) for parts. I've got a 21-22 touring I'm putting together right now. I just rebuilt the tranny. Andy is model t smart. He restores them and sells parts. He's a wealth of information. Find him and PM him. I'm. Out in the shop and don't have his phone number here. Pull the firewall for putting motor in and out with hogshead on the trans. Have fun and ask a lot of questions. -Mike.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
jim galli

Thanks to both. Count on me asking a lot of dumb questions. I'm one of the geezers that knows quite a lot about Model A's but the T is a whole different little beasty.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Farmallcub49

Jim,

As Mike said, I sell new and used parts. We also restore Model T's and only Model T's. My info is below. I am in Minnesota, so if you want parts in a hurry Chaffins is nearby. Otherwise I am here and reasonable as I can be.

Thanks,
Andy
Farmallcub49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
jim galli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmallcub49 View Post
Jim,

As Mike said, I sell new and used parts. We also restore Model T's and only Model T's. My info is below. I am in Minnesota, so if you want parts in a hurry Chaffins is nearby. Otherwise I am here and reasonable as I can be.

Thanks,
Andy
Thanks! Look forward to doing some business. Anxious to get the T serviceable.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
MrModelT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmallcub49 View Post
Jim,

Thanks,
Andy
Sorry Andy! I didn't know you sold parts too. If I had, I would have mentioned you too.

I'm not up to speed on all of the T parts suppliers out there...but do like and prefer doing business with the good, honest, "little guy" small businesses for the personal touch they provide.

Now I have one more to add to my list of Parts suppliers
Old 05-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrModelT View Post
Sorry Andy! I didn't know you sold parts too. If I had, I would have mentioned you too.

I'm not up to speed on all of the T parts suppliers out there...but do like and prefer doing business with the good, honest, "little guy" small businesses for the personal touch they provide.

Now I have one more to add to my list of Parts suppliers
Andy has a lot of Model T expertise. Most of the larger suppliers sell parts but a lot of the people you talk to don't have a lot of experience using them. Andy builds Model Ts from the ground up. If he wasn't there for me to ask some really goofy questions I'd have to give up my model t hobby.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
MrModelT

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Andy has a lot of Model T expertise. Most of the larger suppliers sell parts but a lot of the people you talk to don't have a lot of experience using them. Andy builds Model Ts from the ground up. If he wasn't there for me to ask some really goofy questions I'd have to give up my model t hobby.
That makes him a very valuable resource!

As a member of the young crowd (I'm 27 now, but was just 20 when I bought my '26 Roadster) with not allot of "hands on" experience with T's, it was really hard to sort out the right info from the wrong info....and that is when I could get any info at all. Most didn't seem like they wanted to talk or give info at all, let alone deal with "some kid". For the most part, I did my homework and found much info and techniques for myself. It is very nice however, to find someone who has a equal love for T's as all of here do and love to help and share info and knowledge.

..That is what keeps this hobby going and new people joining it.

So bravo to Andy and it really nice to have another great Model T "guru" out there!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
yachtsmanbill

I hafta second Mikes' kudos... Andy has really come through several times... Need to put a vaporizer on him though!! Thatsa big LOL... ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote