Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2021, 08:28 PM   #41
goodcar

Default Re: Pricing for a rebuilt engine - been sitting for a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
Offer them $500. When you need it, pull the dist and pour a quart down that hole (this takes a while). Tope off the oil (actually change it) Pull the plugss, put a tablespoon of ATF down there. Spin the starter a few reviolutions. Next day put the plus in, and the distribustor. Fire it up and enjoy it.

Don't over complicate it, just enjoy it.
If as advertised, this engine is certainly worth the $1500 asking price. Offering $500 is an insult.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:35 AM   #42
SHEC

Thanks to all that were kind enough to respond. Agreed the price is more than fair as I did know the builder and we are still enjoying the fruits of his work 43 years later.

With what many have said, it sounds as though it would be wise to pull the pan and double check the interior in person (beyond the scopes limits), then seal it up to ensure no critters can do any damage. Smart and cautious ... I like that. When and if I need it, others have stated that with good preparation the engine should be good to go. Very grateful to have this site and the experience that goes with it. I have been wrenching for over 60 years and hopefully I give a few more “turns” to go.
Thank you !
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:37 AM   #43
SHEC

Exclamation Re: Pricing for a rebuilt engine - been sitting for a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcar View Post
If as advertised, this engine is certainly worth the $1500 asking price. Offering $500 is an insult.
Thank you for the sage input. ✔️
Old 11-08-2021, 02:42 AM   #44
SHEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Here is an idea. It is just an idea. I occasionally see cars for sale that are in good shape but have a broken engine or a missing engine. Buy the engine and the car and put 2 and 2 together. I know you are downsizing but maybe one of the grandkids would help and end up with the car. Or sell it. I think in this case the sum total would be worth more than the parts.
I like the idea in fact I have done that in the past..... but for now those days are behind me. Wish that was not true as it was fun and I did make a couple of $$ along the way. More important to me back then was that I saved a car/truck and kept a good machine on the road.

Thanks and continued good luck with your projects.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:44 AM   #45
SHEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
$500 would cover the original cost.
And nearly the cost of a Ford back in the day 😂
Old 11-08-2021, 02:46 AM   #46
SHEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Short answer...Take it...hurry...do it now
✔️ Agreed.I’m gonna do it..
Old 11-08-2021, 07:24 AM   #47
Bob Bidonde

Offer $2000
Old 11-08-2021, 10:18 AM   #48
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEC View Post
Thank you for the sage input. ✔️
I apologize for the blunt remark but I just don't believe in taking advantage of someone just because I can, much less advising someone else to do it. I'm not a rich person and I'm ok with that. I just want to be treated fairly.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:38 PM   #49
SHEC

I agree with you. Fairness in compensation and all that goes with it. I sleep well all through the night as I try to treat all with respect and fairness thus the clear conscience. . The price was extended to me and I believe it to be a special consideration so I will go with this deal.

In my opinion your comment was not blunt but a simple plain truth. Bottom line, both sides should be happy. Thanks again goodcar
Be well -
Old 11-08-2021, 02:44 PM   #50
SHEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
$1500 seems like a good deal to me too, knowing what you do about the builder. I bought a brand new engine, NOT model A, that had been sitting for 40 years in a crate. I just overfilled the crankcase with oil until it was completely full, put some lube in the cylinders, then carefully and slowly turned it over by hand until I felt it was in everything, then drained down to normal level and started. Not sure if it was necessary but made me feel better.
Good approach and I’m glad it worked out well for you.✔️
Old 11-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #51
goodcar

Quote:
I agree with you. Fairness in compensation and all that goes with it. I sleep well all through the night as I try to treat all with respect and fairness thus the clear conscience. . The price was extended to me and I believe it to be a special consideration so I will go with this deal.

In my opinion your comment was not blunt but a simple plain truth. Bottom line, both sides should be happy. Thanks again goodcar
Be well -
Kind of off the subject but a year ago my car died and I called a tow to deliver to my home. Cost was $90. Later determined the car needed to go to the shop. The mechanic's son and friend showed up with an old truck and trailer. After the work was done, the mechanic charged me $40 for the trailering. Instead of the $40, I paid them $90 same as the tow company. I know these two work hard and have families to feed. It's times like these that I am reminded of my own family of seven growing up in rural Nebraska during some lean times in the fifties and sixties. A lot of good people helped us out back then. Now that I'm able, I try to pass on the good deeds to others. Thank you for your support.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:08 PM   #52
WHN

Quote:
Kind of off the subject but a year ago my car died and I called a tow to deliver to my home. Cost was $90. Later determined the car needed to go to the shop. The mechanic's son and friend showed up with an old truck and trailer. After the work was done, the mechanic charged me $40 for the trailering. Instead of the $40, I paid them $90 same as the tow company. I know these two work hard and have families to feed. It's times like these that I am reminded of my own family of seven growing up in rural Nebraska during some lean times in the fifties and sixties. A lot of good people helped us out back then. Now that I'm able, I try to pass on the good deeds to others. Thank you for your support.
I like your style! Good for you.
WHN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #53
hazelhoff

Sell it to a European. A fully rebuilt engine would be around 4,500.- euros. Equals some 5,000,- US dollars
Old 11-08-2021, 06:45 PM   #54
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelhoff View Post
Sell it to a European. A fully rebuilt engine would be around 4,500.- euros. Equals some 5,000,- US dollars
Who pays the astronomical shipping and handling fees ?

Last edited by McMimmcs; 11-08-2021 at 07:11 PM.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:31 PM   #55
1crosscut

So if and when you buy it and open it up for a look. Take the time to pull the main caps and rod caps off to look at the condition of the babbit and to measure the clearances. Take pictures and document the measurements and keep them with the engine. Pull the valve cover off and again take pictures and document the valve clearances and weather or not they are standard or adjustable.

Time and memory can fade on stuff like this but documentation and a stash of pictures placed in the neck of either the coolant inlet or outlet will be a good thing years from now.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:33 AM   #56
SHEC

Quote:
I like your thinking and your math $$ !
Nothing more needs to be said as we are cut from the same cloth. Pass it on, healthy tradition of looking out for the folks that came before us and gave us a hand so that we can extend the same to our neighbors and friends today. All good to me and reflects well in this Model A Ford hobby.... it is not all about the money. The gentleman that built these engines we are discussing was a solid guy, a true mentor and friend to me and so many others.... he would agree 100% with this discussion.
Carry on and let’s keep the Ford road running smoothly. Thanks again ✔️🇺🇸

**** As as a reminder of our engine rebuild in ‘78. I paid for that rebuild by painting my friend the “A” mechanics small house. He supplied the paint - I supplied my youthful skills . The engine is still motoring us along nicely ✔️

Last edited by SHEC; 11-09-2021 at 12:44 AM. Reason: A new thought...
Old 11-09-2021, 12:39 AM   #57
SHEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
So if and when you buy it and open it up for a look. Take the time to pull the main caps and rod caps off to look at the condition of the babbit and to measure the clearances. Take pictures and document the measurements and keep them with the engine. Pull the valve cover off and again take pictures and document the valve clearances and weather or not they are standard or adjustable.

Time and memory can fade on stuff like this but documentation and a stash of pictures placed in the neck of either the coolant inlet or outlet will be a good thing years from now.
Agreed 1000%. The years roll fast but the proverbial “one picture is worth a thousand words” - certainly holds true in this case. Solid advice - my thanks.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:51 AM   #58
SHEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Offer $2000
The agreed price is now $1500.00
Too good to pass up ......
Old 11-09-2021, 12:48 PM   #59
McMimmcs

Quote:
The agreed price is now $1500.00
Too good to pass up ......
On the surface a wise move on your part.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:20 PM   #60
SHEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
On the surface a wise move on your part.
Thank you...
I certainly hope so and time will tell but I feel good about it. Take care ✔️🇺🇸