Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2020, 04:56 PM   #21
Synchro909

Default Re: Overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
Hmm, not convinced, an extension of the "slower-circulation-permitting-better cooling" theory would be constricted hoses, and blocked rad tubes would improve cooling. Sounds dubious to me.
Sounds counterintuitive to me too. IMO, the only reason an engine overheats (assuming timing and mixture is right) is that the radiator is not up to the job. Start there.
This is a problem that often comes up on this forum and I understand why. Replacing a radiator is expensive so we try to find a solution that is not so hard on the hip pocket. Fix it right, fix it once.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:09 PM   #22
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
Hmm, not convinced, an extension of the "slower-circulation-permitting-better cooling" theory would be constricted hoses, and blocked rad tubes would improve cooling. Sounds dubious to me.
When it comes to straight transfer of heat to the radiator then to the air, fast flow with lots of turbulence will transfer the most heat. However, putting a thermostat in the top hose will reduce the flow, causing a slightly higher pressure in the block, (actually less negative pressure) so the coolant won't flash to steam as soon. When even a very small amount of coolant flashes to steam it increases in volume I think about 1700 times, causing at least a dump out of the overflow, and sometimes the tea kettle effect. Granted, the radiator is likely on the edge of being too restricted for efficient cooling if the thermostat makes a difference but sometimes even a small difference gets you by for a while.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:35 PM   #23
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
When it comes to straight transfer of heat to the radiator then to the air, fast flow with lots of turbulence will transfer the most heat. However, putting a thermostat in the top hose will reduce the flow, causing a slightly higher pressure in the block, (actually less negative pressure) so the coolant won't flash to steam as soon. When even a very small amount of coolant flashes to steam it increases in volume I think about 1700 times, causing at least a dump out of the overflow, and sometimes the tea kettle effect. Granted, the radiator is likely on the edge of being too restricted for efficient cooling if the thermostat makes a difference but sometimes even a small difference gets you by for a while.
Eggzacly
Old 03-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #24
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Eagle, Right On
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:31 AM   #25
Licensed to kill

I haven't had a chance to check out the calling system yet. I blew my knee out on the weekend and am laid up for awhile. I will, report back once I get a chance to check it out. Thanks everyone for the input.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote