Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
47Monarch

Default Leaking transmission 47 monarch

Hoping it's as simple as it looks.the seal where the shifting forks come out the side of transmission are leaking . is it a simple matter of disconnecting the linkage removing the old seals and replacing or is there more to it .Thanks for any help
47Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:45 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Leaking transmission 47 monarch

You have to remove the shift arms from the side of the transmission and replace the originals seals located right behind the shift arms, Part # 01A-7288.The arms are pinned in place so you have to drive out the pins. Make sure your transmission is in "neutral" when you do this. It can be a tedious process as there is not a lot of working room. Original seals were leather. New seals are rubber.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #3
47Monarch

Thank you I ordered the seals got three just in case these are a metal ring with a rubber insert would they be correct ?
Old 08-01-2019, 07:50 PM   #4
Ken/Alabama

I drained the oil from the transmission and removed the side cover with the transmission in place when I did mine.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:54 AM   #5
Mac VP

The retaining pins on the two shifter levers were swedged in by Ford and are typically very difficult to remove. This job is best accomplished by putting the housing in a sturdy vice, grinding off the head of the pin and driving it out with a 1/4” punch and heavy hammer. It’s not unusual for the pin to be extremely tight in the shaft.....often the hammer blows can further tighten the fit rather than pushing the old pin out. Sometimes you have to drill into the pin with a small bit, enough to relieve some of the metal and allow the punch to drive it out. Be careful that you don’t crack the housing with very heavy hammer blows.

It’s possible (but not easy) to remove the old oil seal by prying it out. Installing the new seal has its own difficulties because the lip of the new seal wants to flip over on you.

We remove the two shifter shafts completely, then clean them up. Sometimes the part of the shaft where the seal lip rides is worn and pitted. It should be replaced if you see that or the new seal will leak as well. We grind a bigger chamfer on the end of the shaft to make it easier to slide through the new seal without flipping the lip.

I can’t imagine trying to do this job with the shifter housing still bolted to the transmission, and do the work under the car.....
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:56 AM   #6
19Fordy

MacVP and Ken are correct. Thinking back, removing the side cover is a must. I drilled the OEM pins out and replaced them with fine threaded hex bolts. This was many years ago.

Also replaced the pins that secure the throw out bearing fork and the clutch release equalizer
shaft (not shown below) to the clutch release shaft shown in last photo.

Of course, if you are building a concourse car, this is a "no, no". The reason I did this was because I didn't think I could swedge the replacement pins tight enough to prevent play.
At least 20 years and still working fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5115b.jpg (58.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5110b.jpg (57.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5108b.jpg (46.9 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 08-02-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #7
51woodie

47Monarch I did the seals on my "46 Coupe. I posted on the EFV8 site, and got some good suggestions, similar to here on the Barn. As my '46 has a removeable floor plate, I could remove the shift housing out of the side of the xmission and up. As it is a tight area, I had to tilt the shifter housing back and remove the shift forks from the shift cams to allow the cover to be raised. The attached is my post from the EFV8 forum. Be careful when you pull out the shift cams p/n 7280 & 7282, as the balls in the "interlock" are spring loaded and will disappear to somewhere in the shop on you.

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/vi...12448&keywords=
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trans Shift Arms.jpg (37.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 01A-7222shifterhousing.jpg (82.3 KB, 32 views)
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
47Monarch

Thank you all for the info think it just may have to leak till I put the car away summers are short and winter's are way to long up here
Old 08-02-2019, 12:19 PM   #9
rotorwrench

When utilizing bolts as a replacement for the rivets, it is important that the bolts fit as close as possible to the rivets holes through the parts to be joined. If there is any looseness, the parts will wear against the bolt rapidly. If the holes are still fairly tight then bolts will do OK, at least for quite a while.

Mac VP uses universal length clevis pins as rivets and they fatten out pretty well due to the cotter pin holes drilled into them at different length intervals. An alternative would be to check with Big Flats Rivet Co for some softer iron or mild steel rivets that may be easier to set. A rivet fills the hole better and hardens during the driving process. This is why so many old buildings and bridges built with rivets are still standing and usable.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:24 PM   #10
19Fordy

rotorwrench: Are the rivets that harden during the driving process used on those shift arms?
Old 08-02-2019, 06:16 PM   #11
51woodie

I used coiled roll pins to connect the shift arms to the shafts. Working good so far, and are nice and tight. They come in various sizes, and can be bought in small quantities (2) from most industrial fastener suppliers.

https://www.mcmaster.com/roll-pins
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #12
rotorwrench

The coiled ones don't break as easy as the standard spring pin but they are spring steel and that makes all of them a bit on the brittle side. I've replaced a lot of roll pins that are used in applications where torque is applied and its the only thing in there acting as a key to torsional movement. If it works for you, go ahead but don't be surprised if one day it decides not to shift into gear.

Just about every form of malleable metal work hardens when you beat on it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #13
Sod Buster

Read this thread and pulled my leaky side cover, lol. waiting on seals now, I was already in the area replacing the brake and clutch pedal bushings and transmission mount on my 47 so why not, my floor will thank me.
The info came in handy.
Sod Buster is offline   Reply With Quote