Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-30-2021, 11:26 AM   #21
jb-ob

Default Re: Roadster or Coupe?

Driver Comfort...

Any roadster with side mounts is difficult to enter & exit, more so as we get older.

Coupe, Tudor, Fordor, much easier....... with out side mounts as well.
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:21 PM   #22
WHN

Everyone has there opinion. It most likely is based on what body style they own now.

Have you looked at the Sport Coupe? It has a soft top like the roadster but it does not go down. Has roll up windows and a rear window that opens up so you can talk with the rumble seat passengers. Our children (now grown) and grand children love riding in the rumble seat. Plus the rumble seat is vinyl, dripping ice cream wipes right up.

The nice thing about this hobby is that there is a body style for everyone.

I think you would be able to fine a nice Sport Coupe driver for under $15,000.00.

Enjoy whatever you buy. Just check it out really good. There is a lot of real junk out there. I would look at cars with as few owners as possible. Something that as been owned by the same person for many years.

Your young. Enjoy the experience. You will get a lot of waves and smiles. These cars were made to be worked on at home. Get yourself a few books. Don’t just start taking things apart. You will be fine. Ask questions.

Last edited by WHN; 09-30-2021 at 12:30 PM.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:59 PM   #23
KGBnut

Other than exposure to the weather, there is not a lot of difference between the two. Since you are open to both widen your search to look for either and buy the one that fits your budget and condition requirements. You will find one that speaks to you!

Enjoy,

Ken
Old 09-30-2021, 03:29 PM   #24
Jeff/Illinois

GR- with your inherit enthusiasm, I predict you are going to have a lot of fun with WHATever you finally buy!

When you find the right car, you will know. Cars have personalities. No two, even of the same body style, are actually alike. They sit differently, and some just have 'the look'.

A '30-'31 Roadster is a bit easier to get in and out of than a '28-'29 Roadster.

Make sure you hop in and out of several body styles of each model run year set, 28-29 and 30-31. About any Model A Ford owner will accommodate you and will happily let you try getting in and out of the cars and sitting in them.

I always thought I wanted a '28 Roadster pickup. And then one day I was honored to be asked to drive a friend's '28 RPU to the cemetery at his funeral, following him in the hearse. Boy was THAT an education!! I learned it was not the right 'fit' for me! Bill was kind of a small guy so he fit in it fine. His son, whom is also a friend, went to school with me. His dad (the deceased) was a WWII vet. He was a half track driver in the 11th Armored Division, ETO. The son has the RPU now and drives it regularly. So now I just enjoy just looking at my friend's '28 and let HIM drive that thing!.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:34 PM   #25
2935ford

My take........
I have had both roadster and now a coupe.

Roadster: It's ALWAYS open to the environment even with side curtains (and they can be leaky and drafty).

Coupe: You can close off the open or open up as you please. It can extend your driving season and if your caught in rain.........it's dry inside!
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #26
Jim Brierley

If you are tall, with long legs, I would get a tudor. You can easily move the seat back for more leg room, kids go in the back so can't accidentally open the doors and fly out, etc.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:32 PM   #27
ronn

but Jim, tudors are boring............

lol!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 06:02 PM   #28
Tom Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas View Post
So two passengers can ride in the sweltering sun, rain, snow etc. No thanks…..
My mother's two teenage sisters rode in the rumble seat one summer from Killeen to San Marcos, Texas.
For you non-Texans, that's about 120 miles on 1930s roads.
Never again, they said.
Tom Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:23 PM   #29
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Check your "Private Messages" in the upper right corner of this webpage.
Marshall
Marshall,

Please share your knowledge with all of us.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:34 PM   #30
Dave in MN

We purchased a 29 Phaeton for our family adventures after starting with a 28 closed cab pickup.
Four in the cab was too tight and they did not like being in the back.

We had many trips to the local Dairy Queen with the two boys and the dog in the back seat of the Phaeton. Over the last 23 years we have logged almost 100,000 miles and been across the country a couple times.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #31
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
If you are tall, with long legs, I would get a tudor. You can easily move the seat back for more leg room, kids go in the back so can't accidentally open the doors and fly out, etc.
What Jim is saying is spot-on.

A Tudor is safe with small children, they won't fall out of it.

At well over 6 feet tall that car was never a problem for me popping in and out of. Now we have a '30 Dlx. Roadster, I love the car it is a blast, but it IS definitely a little harder to maneuver in and out of.

Tudors boring?? Naw they are sharp looking cars in my opinion I always liked them still do. 1 out of 4 Model A Ford buyers when the cars were new would agree, they were the best selling model of Model A Ford.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:12 PM   #32
Ayers1

Kids in a rumble seat aren't always a great combination. I would choose between a 4dr or phanton. Same experience and the kids are in the car with you. . Of course you can always get your preference and install seat belts.....
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:35 PM   #33
mhsprecher

Well, you could buy two, depending upon your budget. I first bought a Town Sedan and love it. Then I bought a roadster. I probably like it more than the sedan, but for touring a sedan can't be beat. I am 6'2' and the sedan requires a little work to get in an out of, but is very doable.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:55 AM   #34
ronn

Tudors boring?? Naw they are sharp looking cars in my opinion I always liked them still do. 1 out of 4 Model A Ford buyers when the cars were new would agree, they were the best selling model of Model A Ford.

at one time people were practical Jeff. Ive had tudors and yes they are very accomadating. still find them boring though and would never buy another....

the roadsters are sexy!
Old 10-03-2021, 06:00 PM   #35
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

Tudor's are usually cheaper, more metal and less wood, fully enclosed, and typically a more rigid body.

Just my thoughts.
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:50 PM   #36
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post

at one time people were practical Jeff. Ive had tudors and yes they are very accomadating. still find them boring though and would never buy another....

the roadsters are sexy!
Yeah, you be right on dat, you have a good point! I could unload the Roadster and go back to a Tudor, but I DO love the looks of the darn thing. They are still sought after by street rodders. And the '30-'31 Model A body style was carried over to 1932, and the '32's are considered to be the Holy Grail of antique Fords.

Roadster always have cost more but they hold their value pretty well too.

My problem is I like them all, from Model A's to Mustangs
Old 10-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #37
Jim Brierley

Ronn, glad you corrected your obvious mistake about tudor's. In a tudor you can carry 3 or 4 friends, and a case of adult beverage if you are so inclined. With all that, conversation becomes quite interesting!

When I was a teen, we were on a mountain road when 5 college guys passed us in a tudor, on a steep downhill. We knew the road, and that they would very soon be in trouble. Sure enough, around the next bend, there was the tudor, downside-up with dust everywhere. We stopped, as did the next couple of cars on the road. The guys were just climbing out of the A, none had injuries, but likely all had aching bodies the next day. We up-righted the A, the guys all got back in, and continued on their way. As I recall there was very little damage to the car. This was before seat belts and air bags. 5 college guys in a Model A are packed in pretty tight!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 01:59 PM   #38
ronn

Ronn, glad you corrected your obvious mistake about tudor's. In a tudor you can carry 3 or 4 friends, and a case of adult beverage if you are so inclined. With all that, conversation becomes quite interesting!

obvious mistake? yes, buying a tudor.

Old 10-04-2021, 06:04 PM   #39
burner31

Two kids and a wife...Sedan
Get a '31 slant...if you can find one
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:04 AM   #40
ThosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas View Post
So two passengers can ride in the sweltering sun, rain, snow etc. No thanks…..
However, two additional passengers can enjoy a summer evening outing. A four seat option. Very appealing for short, fair weather trips.
ThosD is offline   Reply With Quote