Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Gary/IA

Default Question for Fordbarn concerning Ebay.

We don't' police ebay here fellas...

Please clarify for me what this means. Are we not to discuss on this forum our Ebay experiences as related to Model A transactions?

I have no problem one way or the other and I mean no disrespect, I just don't know what we can and cannot discuss.

Consider me dense, I just need clarification. I have learned some valuable lessons about Ebay from this forum in the past.

Thankyou,

Gary Turner
Ellston, Iowa
480 223 2001
[email protected]
Gary/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Great Lakes Greg

Default Re: Question for Fordbarn concerning Ebay.

Perhaps it is geared toward the more unscrupulous crowd that will make a comment about an ebay item with the full knowledge that people will then check it out. Oh, yeah...and they listed it. I may be cynical, but that's my take.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

Gary: Why not pose your ? to Ryan??
Paul in CT

Last edited by 1931 flamingo; 09-21-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: spelling
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
29RPU

Ryan means to stop arguing and taking sides about an Ebay deal that went south. I agree, but I think topics like this should still exist. I'd like to see a "sticky" note at the top of our form about bad experiences people have had as sort of a warning to others. To me that would be invaluable. NOT A PLACE TO BICKER, just a single post of unsatisfied people, stating their claim, and we can choose to listen or not. Maybe not have it in forum format, but just a single post, with "like or "dislike" so others can second that they have had a bad experience with the same guy. I don't know, I'm just here for the idea....maybe Ryan and others can make something work. I sure think people would benefit from it!
29RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
Roadster62

I'm not sure what the Ford Barn/eBay rules are, but I have some observations and a few opinions. I enjoy reading a post about a rare on unusual vehicle that may be on eBay, but think it is VERY poor form if it is listed by the poster here on the Barn. Conplaints about eBay should be on eBay not here.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:26 AM   #6
Dave / Franklin MA

I think what happens on Ebay should stay on Ebay. If anyone has a problem with an Ebay seller they should use the proper channels to address it. There are lots of reasons deals go south there and some of them have nothing to do with the seller. Postings here will give only one side of the issue with no opportunity for the seller to defend himself. Not only is that unfair, there's no reason a seller should be compelled to hunt down yet another site where his name is being dragged thru the mud. If the seller was me I would be furious at Fordbarn to allow this to happen.

We all know there are sellers who suck and sometimes Ebay itself sucks too. I don't think anyone needs to read dozens of testimonials here to prove that's true.
Dave / Franklin MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Kevin in NJ

There is a line between relating an ebay experience to help others better learn the ebay world and 'bashing'.

There is also a distinction between blatant advertising your ebay item, which is not allowed, and bringing up something of interest that you found. For example, I have brought up some odd but useful tools I have seen on ebay. The pictures allow others to know what the tool looks like and gives a sense of value. In each case the tool was not something I was selling.

As in all cases common sense should prevail. The goal should be about learning and socializing in a positive manner.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
Ray With

Buying off the INTERNET no matter or what it is you ask questions tread lightly try to get references and if possible inspect the items your self and if a hi dollar item have it inspected prior to money changing hands. Above all take all safe guards.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
MrTube

Really?

You would actually post a thread questioning an admin's actions rather then politely ask them via email? What could this thread ever do other then cause people do argue over it and stir up trouble?? IMO Ryan closed the thread to STOP this from happening so you created another one.

As 1931 Flamingo said, this is a PM subject.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
29RPU

I was more concerned about a thread related to Ford Barn than ebay. I have read of at least three threads where users were overtly taking advantage of others and I just think it would be of interest. It wouldn't be perfect because the user could always sign up as someone else, but it just seemed useful.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
Steve Wastler

I check postings numerous times a day, but I must have missed something, cause I don't know what's going on. Not trying to stir up stuff, but, I occasionally make reference to something offered on eBay, here.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #12
29RPU

Steve, two FB guys had a disagreement about an Ebay auction, one the seller, one the buyer, who after traveling to pick up the car, refused to buy it. Disagreement was over condition and lack of details in the listing.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
Steve Wastler

29RPU,

Thanks, makes sense as to why it was removed. Buying long distant is always a crap shoot, best to not make a quick decision. I intently studied pics of my mail truck for over a year before buying (was in Texas). I think sometimes people get caught up in excitement. Sometimes not the best to vent in a public forum.

BTW, I like your new avatar picture, not that your a bad looking fellow, but a great shot of your phaeton!!
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #14
Fred
BANNED

More like, Items changed & or Missing when seen !!..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
29RPU

Ya, that too. I was trying to be politically correct!

Steve, thanks, yes, I like this avatar much better too. I was just using my FB avatar and well, it was time to change.