Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2018, 08:05 PM   #1
jrhaelig

Default Need Advice on a Fly/Drive Vacation Out West

My wife and I would like to do a nice fly/drive out West in September of this year.

Figure 7 to 10 days.

It's practically a once-in-a-lifetime trip, so we want to see the best of the best and won't have time to see the local hideaways that are so intriguing.

Right now my rough sketch is

land in Salt Lake City & pick up a car
overnight in Jackson Hole
X days in Yellowstone (4 days? Where do I stay?)
exit north end using the Beartooth Highway - probably up to Billings - but maybe hook south before there.....where 212 meets 310
Get to Devil's Tower (route depends on the above lines)
go to Mt Rushmore

then...??? Looks kind of anti-climactic to hard-ball it back to Salt Lake City.

What if I do the same route in the opposite direction? End the trip on the high note of Yellowstone & Jackson?

You guys who are lucky enough to live out there are the best resources I know, so let's see what we can put together..............thank you!
1963 Lincoln Continental
1939 Buick

Last edited by jrhaelig; 01-15-2018 at 08:44 PM.
jrhaelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
TJ

Default Re: Need Advice on a Fly/Drive Vacation Out West

First how much time do have for the trip? You could spend a couple of days in Yellowstone and still not see it all. Just west of Billings is Glacier Park and there's Flathead Lake ,the largest fresh water lake west of the Mississippi. Mt. Rushmore is a must see and a day trip through Custer Park is also a must see. You also don't want to miss staying in Cody, Wyoming and visiting the Buffalo Bill Museum. Cody is the east entrance to Yellowstone. We've been all over that country, so if you can give a time table we can probably help with your trip.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #3
J Franklin

The waterfalls are puny in late summer, but you will still have plenty to see. The Tetons are near there also.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #4
dude

I believe West Yellow Stone has a airport .also some great lodging . just a thought.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:38 PM   #5
Habusailor

Think about Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Why make the Midwest a once in a life time trip? There is more majestic beauty in the Midwest than most of the world.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Habusailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:46 PM   #6
TonyM

Landing at Salt Lake City?

Then see Utah. It is awesome. Every corner. I have been to Utah about a dozen times on vacation and I still need to go back.

Try Utah and save all that travel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 398887_111812382287941_1261485869_n.jpg (59.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 577322_119604468175399_1007331035_n.jpg (65.1 KB, 21 views)
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:04 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

Yellowstone is absolutely my favorite National Park.You might consider driving the Cook City Highway/Beartooth Highway and then flying out of Billings. The picture on that highway with the snow on the side of the road was taken June 11, 2011, the day they opened the highway for the season, I would suggest a day or two at each park entrance and then touring from there. Note that this is not Disneyland and the animals can be dangerous, I have a very long telephoto lense.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yellowstone Park 2005 022.jpg (63.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Yellowstone Park 2005 109.jpg (35.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1042.jpg (47.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1083.jpg (63.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1201.jpg (49.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1414.jpg (58.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1455.jpg (39.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg P6130113.jpg (44.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg photos for album 016.jpg (58.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Yellowstone 2005 135.jpg (69.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Yellowstone 2005 180.jpg (57.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Yellowstone Park 2005 385.jpg (42.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Yellowstone Park 2005 464.jpg (73.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg photos for album 008.jpg (30.1 KB, 16 views)
Charlie Stephens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #8
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaelig View Post
then...??? Looks kind of anti-climactic to hard-ball it back to Salt Lake City.
I'm with Tony. Utah is spectacular. If you're dead set on going north from Salt Lake, choose one route going and another coming back. I'd suggest:

Dropping down from Salt Lake on I-15 to State Highway 92 going East over Mt Timpanagos. Pick up I-189 to I-40, then I-191 North all the way to Yellowstone. This route will be a detour of about 150 miles, an additional 4 hours, and be a most memorable trip. Trust me, you won't regret it.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:34 PM   #9
cobbie

You had better make your mind up, they are several places in the park that are already full for all of 2018
Good luch and have a wonderful time.
cobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:36 PM   #10
klawockvet

Fly to Vegas. Cheaper flights, rent a car and drive through Zion National park on the way to North Rim of Grand Canyon, then on to Bryce National Park. From there you can head north to Yellowstone and on up to Flathead Lake and Glacier National Park. Might think about renting a one way motorhome in Vegas. You can stay almost anywhere in the west overnight for free. There is so much to see along the chain of parks between Vegas and the Canadian border that you really should try to take it all in. Rushmore isn't that big a deal, although its pretty ranching country but nothing compared to the parks in Utah, Wyoming and Montana.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawockvet View Post
Fly to Vegas. Cheaper flights, rent a car and drive through Zion National park on the way to North Rim of Grand Canyon, then on to Bryce National Park. From there you can head north to Yellowstone and on up to Flathead Lake and Glacier National Park. Might think about renting a one way motorhome in Vegas. You can stay almost anywhere in the west overnight for free. There is so much to see along the chain of parks between Vegas and the Canadian border that you really should try to take it all in. Rushmore isn't that big a deal, although its pretty ranching country but nothing compared to the parks in Utah, Wyoming and Montana.
Great idea if he can get another 2 weeks for the trip. Another thought, what about flying into Salt Lake and then take a small plane to Cody, Wyoming?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:17 AM   #12
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbie View Post
You had better make your mind up, they are several places in the park that are already full for all of 2018
Good luch and have a wonderful time.
Amen. A few years ago on the spur of the moment we decided to visit Yellowstone to see the Fall color. This was mid September. BIG mistake. Every one of the Park accomodations were FULL. We ended up staying in N. Yellowstone. I’ve flown in and out of Jackson. Its a user friendly airport and will save you 4 hours of driving time as opposed to using Salt Lake.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:06 AM   #13
Newc

Hi all; Just Don't feed the bears!! Back in the '60's my Dad with his arm on the door-window down- had a bear lean on his arm, begging... really ... the bear had some strength.!! Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:50 AM   #14
Paul Bennett

Anything less than 3 weeks is travesty for a 'once in a lifetime trip' and 5-6 weeks would be more like it. Initially, details are unimportant but planning when you aren't familiar with the area, should require the same length of time as the trip itself to establish events and bedstays. September is wise but time is short for planning.

If you don't have AAA, join and use their planning services. Also get an annual pass to the National Parks and use their planning aids. If you don't have a camera borrow one and practice using it. Phone photos have disadvantages. Start making necessity lists to avoid overpacking. Make lists of necessity cities/stops. Join./play with AirBnB to learn inexpensive stopovers. Put out feelers for companions for portions of the trip.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:17 AM   #15
Hoop

John, you have to watch the recommendations ... going from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon to Cody to Custer to Glacier and all points in between ...

They forgot the USS Arizona Memorial.

You're going to spend a whole lot of time driving and probably end up with hemorrhoids.

With sons living in Big Sky and Bozeman, I've spent quite a bit of time in the area. Stayed in the cabins in the park, eaten there, hiked there ... and fly-fished a lot there.

I haven't seen more than 1% of Yellowstone.

While I operate more like a local, I do remember my first trip out. Lots of driving.
The park is really big and the traffic can be very slow at times ... folks from New Jersey get excited when they see elk, stop their RV's in the middle of the road and start taking pictures. "Bear jams" are worse.

That's what the park is for. Those of us in a hurry to get to one of the hundreds of trout streams just have to embrace it.

Consider taking it easy. Make this your "first trip" and get familiar with the area.

There are places, for example, on the edges of the park:

* Just south of Big Sky on US191, http://corralbar.com

* In Paradise Valley north of Gardiner,
http://www.chicohotsprings.com

A lot to miss. If you get into my favorite town, Bozeman, you'll like Granny's Donuts, https://www.facebook.com/grannysgourmetdonuts/
Old 01-16-2018, 07:35 AM   #16
koates

Cody Wyoming, Buffalo Bills town. A gunfight in the street each evening. Buffalo Bill museum of the west, its huge and I spent a day and a half in there. Fantastic firearms collection focusing on Winchesters and Colts. Buffalo bills hotel. Then the Custer battlefield, I spent all day there wandering the trails and visiting the museum. Yellowstone national park. You need a couple of weeks around that area at least. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:47 AM   #17
flatford8

I think the advice to see Utah is good. Pick another state next year. We are fortunate to live in such a beautiful country.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #18
rockfla

I've been to Jackson Hole 3 times (all in the winter) and its been probably 15 years the last time, we always stayed at the 49'er, nice motel and should?? still be a moderately priced stay. You can cover Jackson in one day so don't plan a lot there, I would focus more on Yellowstone. I have been to Salt Lake 5 times....I like the Ogden area best, I stayed there twice and Sandy UT twice. Sounds like a super trip, hope all is good and safe for you.
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #19
corvette8n

Last May we flew into Phoenix and we drove to Grand Canyon and then drove to Arches National park in Utah, then back to Flagstaff, also stopped in Winslow AZ to take a pic of Rt66, and stopped at the meteor crater. Wanted to go to Monument Valley but ran out of time. Next trip we want to see Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone. By the way if your over 65 you can buy a lifetime national park pass for $80., We were lucky enough to get it for $10, a couple of years ago.

Last edited by corvette8n; 01-16-2018 at 07:05 PM.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #20
jagnweiner

Here's one more vote for southern Utah. September is the perfect time to do it. Zion, Bryce, Arches. Stunning.

'47 Mercury Convertible
'25 Dodge Bros. Touring Car
'63 MG Midget
jagnweiner is offline   Reply With Quote