Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #21
Gary/IA

Default Re: Synthetic oil

How does my Cadi know if I use synthetic, but it does. If I use regular oil it will indicate oil life used up at about 3000 miles, If I use synthetic it will indicate oil life used up at about 8000 miles.
Gary/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:26 AM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary/IA View Post
How does my Cadi know if I use synthetic, but it does. If I use regular oil it will indicate oil life used up at about 3000 miles, If I use synthetic it will indicate oil life used up at about 8000 miles.
That's interesting, and I'd also like to know how it knows the difference.

My dad bought a new 1970 Pontiac Catalina with the 400 engine, and my brother borrowed the car for 2 days and burned out an intake valve.
The engine had 189,000 miles on it at that time, and when I removed the heads, the cylinder walls still had some crosshatch pattern showing. Every part inside the engine was spotless clean, which really surprised me because my dad always used Pennzoil on that car, but he always changed oil and filter at 2000 miles, and when it was hot.

This changed my mind about Pennzoil, because when I started working at the service station in the mid 60's, every engine that was full of sludge under the valve covers had Quaker State or Pennzoil stickers on the door.
As soon as I removed the valve covers and saw all the sludge, the boss would say check the door sticker, and I'll bet it's Pennzoil or Quaker State because they are wax based oils and cause the sludge buildup. So, the Pennzoil either improved or the fact that my dad changed oil when it was hot and every 2000 miles made the difference in how nice his engine looked at 189,000 miles.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:40 AM   #23
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary/IA

Now that's one smart car! kind of like eating fillet or minute steak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
your body knows.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:45 PM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

HOW do you BURN an INTAKE valve?????----NEVER-EVER saw that!!!!
They run as COOL as a CUCUMBER!
Bill Troublemaker
Old 09-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #25
Simonpie

Quote:
I was told my Mercedes Sprinter had a light and sensor in an oil line and thus could measure cleanliness. It should also be possible to put a pressure sensor after the pump and before the blow-off valve and get a decent estimate of viscosity. This would tell when an oil starts to break down.
Simonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:33 AM   #26
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
HOW do you BURN an INTAKE valve?????----NEVER-EVER saw that!!!!
They run as COOL as a CUCUMBER!
Bill Troublemaker
I asked myself the same thing, but my brother likes to torture test everything, and has a way to break lots of stuff.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:50 AM   #27
Big hammer

Quote:
What does it do if you use a blended synthetic oil :-)
Old 09-09-2017, 01:06 AM   #28
PC/SR

Gary, post 21, your bearings do not know the difference between dino or synthetic oil. Some sensor somewhere in your engine picks up some indicator that the oil companies do not tell us what. The car companies program something into something else. My modern car bings and lights after some mileage after an oil change to tell me it is time to change oil again. I have no idea why it does this, but I am sure the oil/auto companies know the secret of that programed indicator. Would sure like to know what and how they program that. It is not magic. Some smart guy somewhere decided to write a code of when the oil warning comes on. Somehow, I just do not think he had my best interests at heart when he made up that program. But, hey, I'm an old guy who is at this point in my life is a cynic anyway.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #29
NCRebel

I just now topped off the tran and rear end with Sta-Lube Syn-Go (OEM grade) 75 - 140 weight oil. I added about a pint for the transmission. I will taking a short hop around town tonight to test the shifting. I only had to add about 3 ounces to the rear but there has been no issue there anyway.

This is the best product I could get in short order here in Mississippi and it cost me a bit ($60.00 for a two quart bottle). I'll let folks know what my observations are as soon as I put the Old Girl through her paces.
NCRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #30
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRebel View Post
I just now topped off the tran and rear end with Sta-Lube Syn-Go (OEM grade) 75 - 140 weight oil. I added about a pint for the transmission. I will taking a short hop around town tonight to test the shifting. I only had to add about 3 ounces to the rear but there has been no issue there anyway.

This is the best product I could get in short order here in Mississippi and it cost me a bit ($60.00 for a two quart bottle). I'll let folks know what my observations are as soon as I put the Old Girl through her paces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnr6776@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #31
[email protected]

I used a high quality synthetic transmission fluid once but had to change back to the old 600 weight because the seals leaked. With the synthetic, shifting gears was the best ever. What a shame not to be able to use it.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:44 PM   #32
ronn

John,

you could have considered mixing it 50/50-best of both worlds.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:05 PM   #33
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
John,

you could have considered mixing it 50/50-best of both worlds.

Good idea, I might try it

Old 09-16-2017, 01:06 PM   #34
Railcarmover
BANNED

Synthetic oil has consistent sized molecules
Dino oil has random sized molecules

Hybrid synthetics are a blend of both,molecular consistency provides stability in the oils properties,making is superior to Dino oil...but that's it,there are no wizards in it..

I ran a truck fleet on hybrid synthetic and extended the drain interval to 30k,matching the oil change with the DOT 90 day inspection and saved thousands with no risk of engine damage...before that they were on a 15k drain with dino oil,forcing the truck into the shop twice as much..managed to get a 'thank you' from the owner,the cheap prick..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:22 PM   #35
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Synthetic oil has consistent sized molecules

Dino oil has random sized molecules

Hybrid synthetics are a blend of both,molecular consistency provides stability in the oils properties,making is superior to Dino oil...but that's it,there are no wizards in it..

I ran a truck fleet on hybrid synthetic and extended the drain interval to 30k,matching the oil change with the DOT 90 day inspection and saved thousands with no risk of engine damage...before that they were on a 15k drain with dino oil,forcing the truck into the shop twice as much..managed to get a 'thank you' from the owner,the cheap prick..

You should have received a bonus but employers seldom think about rewarding an employee that uses his head and looks after the company. Payroll budgets should include discretionary funds for such things without management having to go to the Board of Directors for approval. If giving a bonus is too difficult, they won't do it.

discretionary

Old 09-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #36
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning all...I have 9,000 miles on my engine and it runs Mobil One 10-30 in Arizona normally in weather that is from 30 degrees in winter to 100+ in summer and the engine is happy. I do have an oil filter and an air filter. Irun the same in my 1949 Packard and it is also happy. Ernie
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #37
[email protected]

Thanks Ernie, I'm running Mobile One 10 30 as well. I have been concerned that I should have purchased 10 40 for here in Indiana.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #38
mhsprecher

I run Mobil 1 in my two A's and one of my V8s for many of the same reasons indicated. My moderns, too. I have thought about switching to 10w-40 as 40w was what Ford recommended when they were new. I am not sure whether the logic still holds, but I may give it a try.

My 2013 Ford Focus determined when I should change the oil. I figured that it did that based on the type I driving we do, but it may be more sophisticated analysis than that.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:14 AM   #39
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-...-indicator.htm
Old 09-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #40
asapguy

Several yrs. ago I changed to Mobil One in my Cabriolet. It never leaked a drop before with conventional oil. With Mobil One it started leaking, switched back to conventional & it quit.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote