Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2015, 05:01 PM   #1
Thor

Default Other exhaust choices besides Red's? - dual exhaust for my '47?

Hi Guys,

This winter I have been working on my '47 Tudor. Was at the point where I was ready to order headers and a dual exhaust kit. So I got my credit card out and got settled in and I called Jim Davis at Red's Headers. Once on the phone with him, Jim proceeded top go and burst my bubble by telling me that they are currently not making headers and Jim doesn't know when or if they might start again.

I am really bummed - I was banking on a set of Red's Headers and their dual exhaust kit as they have a great reputation for quality, fit, and affordability.

While I am holding out hope that I can still get something from Red's I have been doing some digging around on the interwebs. I came across Waldron's exhaust. Can anyone speak to the fit, finish, and value of their exhaust systems?

Where else might I look for a complete dual exhaust kit with headers that will fit properly and is affordable?

Thanks,

Thor
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:42 PM   #2
CSArno

Default Re: Other exhaust choices besides Red's? - dual exhaust for my '47?

We're having the same trouble with our exhaust. Want to use Reds but I don't think it's going to happen. My father just posted the same question and a couple of the guys said Sanderson, another said House of Fab.
CSArno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:05 PM   #3
Straightpipes

Take her down to the local muffler shop and tell them what you want. There are places which do custom exhaust. You don't need headers for dual exhaust.
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #4
19Fordy

Could you use FENTON headers?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #5
klawockvet

As headers have little effect on a stock flathead I thought a driver side 51-53 manifold would work on my 47, but alas the dipstick indentation is in the wrong place and I wasn't for shimming it out to clear. After going to three other shops who couldn't handle the relatively simple process of putting duals on a post war Ford, I remembered Scotty's Muffler, a shop of my youth in San Bernardino California. I was told over the phone it was no problem. I showed up when they opened and they did a beautiful job using the stock manifolds and my Brockman glass pacs. May not do a darn thing for performance but the sound is awesome. These guys know what they are doing and fab all kinds of headers. It was a bit of a drive but the great old time service and talent made it well worth the trip. This probably only helps those on the west coast, but I wouldn't be surprised if they would build and ship around the country.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #6
paul2748

I used Waldron's for a set a duals on my 64 Fairlane and they were perfect. I had some modifications made and they did it correctly.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #7
oldford2

I have been advising for years that dual exhausts really don't add performance to a stock flathead but they look nice and with Brockman mufflers (steel or glass) they sure sound nice. Just find a good pipe bender in your area and come off the drivers side manifold back clearing the steering box and dip stick and the clutch pedal when depressed. Plus the original cast iron headers are quieter in the cockpit than steel headers. On the passenger side block off the crossover pipe connection. An affordable, hassle free alternative. JMO
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #8
HELENT

Good Morning,

This is what I did on my 46 Ford Coupe. Bought my headers from Bob Drake, for $100.00. Fits like a glove, no clearance problems. I got the header exhaust pipes from Mac's. 2 Smitty mufflers from Mac's, stoke tail pipe from Mac's, I can't remember if it was left or right, so I just ordered 2 minor work, worked out perfect, all for around $300.00. Go to my album, and you will see assortment of pictures. Turned out to be a good job and has been on there for 3 years. No problems, well pleased. Any questions send me a message.

Thanks
HELENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #9
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELENT View Post
Good Morning,

This is what I did on my 46 Ford Coupe. Bought my headers from Bob Drake, for $100.00. Fits like a glove, no clearance problems. I got the header exhaust pipes from Mac's. 2 Smitty mufflers from Mac's, stoke tail pipe from Mac's, I can't remember if it was left or right, so I just ordered 2 minor work, worked out perfect, all for around $300.00. Go to my album, and you will see assortment of pictures. Turned out to be a good job and has been on there for 3 years. No problems, well pleased. Any questions send me a message.

Thanks
Had a local shop put duals on my '39 p/u with an 8ba. $300.00 complete from the manifolds back with no name glass packs. Sounds good and great job. It might have helped that the owner still has the '39 p/u that he bought back in the '60's and a gorgeous '39 convert so he appreciates flatheads.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
blucar

We are very fortunate her in the Ventura Area of So Cal, we have two very good custom muffler shops that can make up about any thing your little heart desires.
As I have said many times here on this forum, headers on a street car are a waste of money. Stock manifolds with a good set of twice pipes will sound good, and provide all of the performance that the average engine can put out..
Old 03-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

If you are thinking about going with Fenton headers, be prepared to do some machining/grinding/sanding to get enough clearance at steering box and oil dipstick tube. I found this out when installing Fentons on a '35 tudor sedan with stock frame, 59ab engine, and a '37 steering box.

Does anyone know the reason why Jim Davis is temporarily, or maybe permanently, out of the headers and dual exhaust system business?

I bought a complete dual exhaust system with ceramic coated headers from Jim last Summer and was planning to buy another complete set from him this year or early next year. Hoping that someone comes up with a good alternative and posts that info here.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:20 AM   #12
Jakno

JM 35, have you thought or looked at the Sanderson headers for an option if Red's aren't available. Wondering why there is not more discussion regarding fit,quality, price, etc of Sanderson's ?.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #13
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawockvet View Post
As headers have little effect on a stock flathead I thought a driver side 51-53 manifold would work on my 47, but alas the dipstick indentation is in the wrong place and I wasn't for shimming it out to clear. After going to three other shops who couldn't handle the relatively simple process of putting duals on a post war Ford, I remembered Scotty's Muffler, a shop of my youth in San Bernardino California. I was told over the phone it was no problem. I showed up when they opened and they did a beautiful job using the stock manifolds and my Brockman glass pacs. May not do a darn thing for performance but the sound is awesome. These guys know what they are doing and fab all kinds of headers. It was a bit of a drive but the great old time service and talent made it well worth the trip. This probably only helps those on the west coast, but I wouldn't be surprised if they would build and ship around the country.
Small world... Scotty's is the 'only' shop around the SB area, as far as I'm concerned. They did my 47, couple years ago. I'd sure like to know from you, or anyone else with a 46-48, did you come up with a clever & neat routing for the left head-pipe, around the pedal area?
Mine is neatly routed around the steering gear, then down, below the frame, and out, Above the wishbone, then back to get around the troublesome area. Problem is, there isn't really room to get the pipe (1-3/4) between the wishbone and the frame. So, when driving a good bump, the wishbone squashes the pipe against the frame. This happens on the first bump. After that, it's all good, everything clears.
Anybody have a better way?
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #14
klawockvet

Maybe thats why they knew how to do mine without that problem. They ran the pipes inside the wishbones back to the ball area, then went under the wishbone. I questioned if there was enough clearance when the front end unloads and there was. So far, no problems and it all looks balanced and out of the way.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote