Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #41
robert dick

Default Re: How's your cam ??

i'm running an L-100 in my 258 flat motor, Brockman steel packs for mufflers, even makes the Chevy guys take notice when idleing bye, plus it pulls like crazy in 2 nd gear.
robert dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #42
Tom's36coupe

I got the specs off of my cam sheet from Crower, Mark told me way back when that it was a great cam for mid to high performance. I think they must have used it on some of their larger cube engines?
Tom's36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #43
49flatty

Tom - Did Crower make all of MCF's cams? The measurements I pulled off mine don't match the printed specs in the article either. Crower does not even list anything for the flathead either.
49flatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #44
Tom's36coupe

I still have an old MCF catalog at home, will check it out after work tonight. I remember when Mark sent me the cam, and springs that the crower was in a box with their name and part number. I did not save the box, but my friend who helped me with the install suggested keeping the cam spec sheet. Will look tonight to see what it reads. I know Mark is working with shadow rods here in Michigan on the french flatheads but have not heard much new lately. His new site is www.motorcityspeedequipment.com
Old 09-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #45
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49flatty View Post
Tom - Did Crower make all of MCF's cams? The measurements I pulled off mine don't match the printed specs in the article either. Crower does not even list anything for the flathead either.
Bill Stipe here in Wisconsin used to grind cams for MCF. Don't know if he did them all or for how long.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #46
49flatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Bill Stipe here in Wisconsin used to grind cams for MCF. Don't know if he did them all or for how long.
Do you know how I might be able to get ahold of him? He might have some insight to the mystery cam specs. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #47
Tom's36coupe

If you go to the motorcityspeedequipment site I think there might be a way to contact Mark. Always was very helpful to me and when I met him he was very down to earth. His heat attack almost killed him, and he said sometimes he wished it had. Lost just about everything after all of the expense of the hospital care. Hey, I found my Crower timing tag, it reads: part number E-33794, grind number SPL 59 A Early 262 duration on intake and exhaust and .383 lift with 112 lobe separation. Good luck in finding Mark, I am sure he will have some good information for you.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #48
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49flatty View Post
Do you know how I might be able to get ahold of him? He might have some insight to the mystery cam specs. Thanks!
I assume you are asking about Bill Stipe. If you go to the discussion about camming and gearing, he had a post there. Goes by 29 Red Rocket. You could PM him.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #49
49flatty

Quote:
I assume you are asking about Bill Stipe. If you go to the discussion about camming and gearing, he had a post there. Goes by 29 Red Rocket. You could PM him.

Thanks for the lead flatjack9 -

I will PM him. I sent an email to Mark via Phil Goller. We'll see if I get a response. Thanks all for you help and sorry for hi-jacking the thread.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #50
46fatford

Does anyone have any audio clips of the 1007b? I'm interested in hearing 1.
Thanks
Matt
46fatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #51
OLD...BILL

46FATS; Did anyone get back to you ( off line ) about hearing the 1007-B cam run ?? Its the cam I am putting in my 4" stroker, BUT, its at least a year from making any noise..??.. OLD....BILL .. at .. [email protected]
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #52
46fatford

Still interested in hearing a Isky 1007b.
thanks
Matt
46fatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #53
mercjoe

Anyone willing to compare these three ? I'm looking for something hot and fun to drive, cool sounds also, but as streetable as possible. Will be driven often but not daily.

I came down to these two. Could someone compare them ?
How many mods do they require ?

isky 1007B
literio L100

PS: I thought I was in the HAMB, I'm mercjoe. I've registered yesterday to the Barn so please, consider this my introduction ;-|
mercjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #54
flatjack9

Welcome. I have a Winfield SU1-A in my engine. I like it a lot. Similar to the L100. At an Auburn meet I was able to have a side by side idle comparison with an L-100. Sounded the same.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #55
Ol' Ron

I think the 1007B and the L-100 would work very well in tour engine sounding similar. I never ran the L-100 in a stock car but several of my friends did and they were c avery good running cam. I have one in KGS engine, sounded pretty good on the Dyno.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #56
mercjoe

Thanks Ron, so both cams should do a good job wihout major mods ? I mean multi carbs, headers or heads ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I think the 1007B and the L-100 would work very well in tour engine sounding similar. I never ran the L-100 in a stock car but several of my friends did and they were c avery good running cam. I have one in KGS engine, sounded pretty good on the Dyno.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #57
mercjoe

Thanks for the info Jack. How's your setup besides the cam ?

Quote:
Welcome. I have a Winfield SU1-A in my engine. I like it a lot. Similar to the L100. At an Auburn meet I was able to have a side by side idle comparison with an L-100. Sounded the same.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #58
OLD...BILL

mercjoe; .. Welcome, from all of us, I am very proud of this post " HOW'S YOUR CAM?" and glad someone brought it up again, lots of good information and input here, do go back and read all. Now some questions for you,JOE, what is your engine, bore, stroke, your car/piceeeeup and gearing ??? (tooth count) and tire size,(rear) .... And to your questions, both cams are GOOD TO GO with, " carbs " no more than two. heads, any of the after market are good for your street car/pickup.. or mill your stock heads .050, to start with ..headers, yes, go with a smooth tube (not Fetons)..We all know, to make our flathead run good and sound good too...It must breath, thus a good cam with good lift. and exhaust system, all the way out the back. some will say go stright pipe, others muff, personally I MUFF. and keep piece in the hood... Ignition/distributors... don't get carried away with after market dist. the stock divenbell is ...a..a..a...s.. ok... the crab is better.. and good to work with. it will keep-up with any cam on the steet...and can be run 6v or 12V.,? thanks all of you, for all your input, and I must make a correction,,, ( daily driver) no.no its a frequently/occasally drivere...and a stock cam ..no. Ol'Ron... all this time, money, grinding,balincing,line boring, port.polish and some chrome too. a stock CAM come on Ol'Ron ..... THANKS ALL ....OLD....BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #59
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercjoe View Post
Thanks for the info Jack. How's your setup besides the cam ?
276 cubes. Holley 390 cfm 4 barrel, 81A heads relieved around the valves and milled for .050 over the pistons.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #60
Lawrie

I can give feedback on a few cams, one in my 33,std bore 21 stud engine,has the stock cam,it is one nice motor and a pleasure to drive,
The other 33 eng has .060 overbore,and a late model 8ba cam I modified to fit the 21 stud eng,again great to drive,
Our front engined dragster has a new Crower roller cam,my boy spoke to Dave Crower and he made it special for us, this has pushed our dragster to its PB the other month at 9.40 @ 140 mph
If I could work out how to post pics I could show our dragster,But its in my album,
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote