Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 09:23 PM   #1
dixiedelux
Member
 
dixiedelux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Columbia, KY
Posts: 89
Default So, how do you do it? Part 2

This is an expansion of 35ragtop's thread "So, how do you do it?" dealing with brakes. The rear brake lines on my 46 Super Deluxe "Dixie Delux" are steel. I was expecting to find 8.75" rubber lines here as the parts list suggest. The lines of course are nearly inflexable and I am having a hard time getting them started back into the wheel cylinder. I anticipate the same problem with the master cylinder swap out. Does any one have any tricks? I have used up my bag of tricks.
dixiedelux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:47 PM   #2
JSeery
Senior Member
 
JSeery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wichita KS
Posts: 15,449
Default Re: So, how do you do it? Part 2

Often brake line fittings can be hard to start, I just spent some time yesterday fiddling with one I had a really hard time getting to start. For me, you just have to take a good look at the way they are lining up, the fitting has to be 90 to the threads in the cylinder and you have to work with the line to get it there. Be careful that you don't get frustrated and cross-thread it. You can bend the lines around a little to get the alignment correct but don't damage or crimp the lines in the process. They can be a real pain sometimes, but I have always gotten them eventually.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #3
dixiedelux
Member
 
dixiedelux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Columbia, KY
Posts: 89
Default Re: So, how do you do it? Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Often brake line fittings can be hard to start, I just spent some time yesterday fiddling with one I had a really hard time getting to start. For me, you just have to take a good look at the way they are lining up, the fitting has to be 90 to the threads in the cylinder and you have to work with the line to get it there. Be careful that you don't get frustrated and cross-thread it. You can bend the lines around a little to get the alignment correct but don't damage or crimp the lines in the process. They can be a real pain sometimes, but I have always gotten them eventually.
Yes, eventually...............LOL!!
dixiedelux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
fordor41
Senior Member
 
fordor41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: elmira,ny
Posts: 924
Default Re: So, how do you do it? Part 2

another trick is to install the most difficult first(most flexability) then install the one that's more accessable
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
cmbrucew
Senior Member
 
cmbrucew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North of sandy ago, CA.
Posts: 1,852
Default Re: So, how do you do it? Part 2

Start the line and fitting into the cylinder before you bolt the cylinder in. After the fitting is started, then fit the bolts and tighten everything up.
Bruce
__________________
Works good
Lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #6
Binx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Gloucester VA
Posts: 1,042
Default Re: So, how do you do it? Part 2

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Loosen the wheel cylinders to get the the line fittings started. Tighten the cylinder and then the lines.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:38 PM   #7
dixiedelux
Member
 
dixiedelux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Columbia, KY
Posts: 89
Default Re: So, how do you do it? Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
Start the line and fitting into the cylinder before you bolt the cylinder in. After the fitting is started, then fit the bolts and tighten everything up.
Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binx View Post
Loosen the wheel cylinders to get the the line fittings started. Tighten the cylinder and then the lines.

Lonnie
I will try your techniques out tomorrow. Thanks Fellows
dixiedelux is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.