Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2020, 08:57 PM   #21
Vanspeed

Default Re: 2 bolt crab on a 21 stud question

Yes sorry crank shaft pulley, not gear. My mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Vanspeed, you said '46 crank gear....so I'm guessing you really meant '46 crankshaft pulley?? Or am I confused??

"Correction, I thought you were looking for max fan to distributor space for using a crab vs. helmet type distributors.

I believe the crab style distributor with spacer would give you the most space between fan and distributor, with your present engine construction.

So, if you're only talking crab distributor and long cam, the best you can be is whatever space you have using the crab and one of the two spacers, with the appropriate timing gear cover.

To get the maximum space, you would need to go with the short cam, bolt on camshaft timing gear, and two bolt timing gear cover, as I believe Mart has already said.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:59 PM   #22
Vanspeed

Thanks. I guess if there is a clearance issue with the spacer I have to swap to the later cam. Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
The distributor will only correctly engage with the cam at one spacing. Both setups should give you this spacing.

The ideal scenario would be to swap the cam and go direct two bolt and no spacer.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:39 PM   #23
JM 35 Sedan

Vanspeed, one thing I noticed tonight while looking at the two pictures you posted earlier, is.... the fan you're planning to use might just be the worst choice when trying to minimize space in the area between the radiator core surface, and the front area
of engine block. I'm thinking you have a good opportunity to reduce radiator to engine space, if you had chosen a generator front pulley fan mounting. You could have lowered the mounting of your generator and cooling fan "IF" you had used a '37 to '39 intake monifold. This approach might lower your fan enough to provide the same cooling as the 59ab fan system you are now planning to go with. Just a thought that might be worth looking into.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-25-2020 at 10:51 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:23 PM   #24
Vanspeed

I have a 35-36 generator and fan. I cannot lower it enough to miss the two upper radiator tank outlets. This is a 29 A so the radiator is pretty short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Vanspeed, one thing I noticed tonight while looking at the two pictures you posted earlier, is.... the fan you're planning to use might just be the worst choice when trying to minimize space in the area between the radiator core surface, and the front area
of engine block. I'm thinking you have a good opportunity to reduce radiator to engine space, if you had chosen a generator front pulley fan mounting. You could have lowered the mounting of your generator and cooling fan "IF" you had used a '37 to '39 intake monifold. This approach might lower your fan enough to provide the same cooling as the 59ab fan system you are now planning to go with. Just a thought that might be worth looking into.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:42 PM   #25
JM 35 Sedan

But have you checked how low you could go with a '37-39 intake manifold instead of the 35 or 36 intake you presently have on your engine? The front gen mount on 37-39 intake is 1-2" lower than the front of the '35-'36 intake that's on your engine now. That was the whole point I was trying to make in that previous message. The '34-'36 fan is also smaller in diameter than the 59 fan you presently show in your pictures, so with all this assembled, and bolted in place, just might be the ticket....it would at least be worth a quick check.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-27-2020 at 12:19 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote