Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2021, 03:30 AM   #61
KULTULZ

Question Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post

Lycoming engines have come with oil screens for years. Clean them every 25-hours & no problems. Replace if you want but it's not absolutely necessary as long as a person knows how to clean them. What ever gets through a screen will come back out.
Is that a flat screen? Would be easier to clean that the AT screen being discussed here. And is any varnish present?

A TRANS OVERHAUL possibility because of a cheap filter repl during a trans service is not an option in my book.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:02 AM   #62
rotorwrench

Default Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Ford's licensing deal with Borg Warner only lasted 5 years. Ford wasn't the only company to use BW designs before or after that time frame. The Cruise-O-Matic came about because Ford hired a previous engineer from BW.

A screen can be cleaned easily no mater what shape it is. Some do require special chemicals in an untrasonic bath but they are generally used in aircraft turbine engines.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:00 AM   #63
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Correct - 1955 the game changed somewhat. FORD was allowed to do its' own engineering at that point and I guess corrected some of the original BW design. I always thought the 1951-1960 F/M was the same basic unit. Like I said, I never really got into pre-1957 so this was a learning exercise for myself also.

- Any ID TAG beginning with 1P was the early F/M.

- 1955/ ID began with a four character prefix, similar to a PART NO prefix.

- EDIT - Above not quite true/concise - Detail to follow.

Now there is a continuation to this as FORD supposedly bought out the BW design and came out with the FMX for the 1968 model year.

OH! While you are under the car, can you try and measure just the main case length?

This will give me closure ...

EDIT -

Main Case Size Chart Shown Below (Hopefully)

...G-R-R-R-R

One of these days I may get my act together. Look for upcoming EDIT - PART 2
Here is a shot to my transmission ID tag.(9-109367) Would there be another tag? It doesn't seem to follow the part/model numbers you have.

The length of just the main case, is 10 1/4 "(medium case - 14 hole pan - the case is cast iron). The tail piece, is 18" in length.

[I"]The Ford-O-Matic was manufactured in three different case sizes. It was initially offered in both small-case from 1951-'60 and medium-case from 1951-'68 (often referred to as the Merc-O-Matic); large-case versions were also used in 1958-'65 Lincolns."
[/I]

When I get around to changing the fluid, I will get additional shots of the "screen" and the valve body area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9996 (2).jpg (68.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9998.jpg (83.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0005 (2).jpg (100.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0007 (2).jpg (96.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0008 (3).jpg (113.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0012 (2).jpg (91.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Ford_FMX_Identification.jpg (54.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Trans_gaskets.jpg (18.9 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-25-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:25 PM   #64
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Here is a shot to my transmission ID tag.(9-109367) Would there be another tag? It doesn't seem to follow the part/model numbers you have.
Your first photo above..... the same problem I had trying to confirm the ID of mine.
The actual ID letters/numbers were stenciled onto the left side of that oval plate with red paint in the rectangular silver box, but that's all gone now. It should look more like this poor example below...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRANSMISSION DATA tag.jpg (8.8 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-25-2021 at 01:47 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:25 PM   #65
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
Your first photo above..... the same problem I had trying to confirm the ID of mine.
The actual ID letters/numbers were stenciled onto the left side of that oval plate with red paint in the rectangular silver box, but that's all gone now. It should look more like this poor example below...
So the more information we have the less we know.

Very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJSL2r9bInA

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-25-2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:10 PM   #66
KULTULZ

Post Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:

Now I remember why I was having an issue with the screen filter. The book assigns it a number (77488) but when to go to look up the number, it doesn't exist, it jumps right over the number. I have had that issue with other parts too.
The screen is located (MERC CHASSIS CATALOG) in the 7000 SECTION after the FOUR CHARACTER BPN (Basic Part No) lineup. The screen is ID'd by a FIVE CHARACTER BPN but within that same catalog section. If you go further in that section, you will find the listing.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Last edited by KULTULZ; 06-25-2021 at 05:16 PM. Reason: CORNFUSED AGAIN!
Old 06-25-2021, 05:22 PM   #67
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: New baby 1953 Merc

OK ....

More bad news. The ID PLATE has been altered by a re-builder. That is a SERIAL NO and how they keep track of the trans they go through. Hopefully it is the OEM install and not an exchange.

As for case measurement, there is a chart below that shows the case lengths. Follow it very carefully as to measurement.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-25-2021, 05:28 PM   #68
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Now that the clouds are dissipating ... ... awful fancy word ...

I owe you an apology. For some strange reason (CRS most likely), I have confused you with another member here, Dobie Gillis.

You included a photo attachment in an earlier post and that car is absolutely beautiful. I hope MERCMAN FROM OZ reads this and blows the photo up so we can see more detail.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-25-2021, 05:35 PM   #69
Dobie Gillis

Well I do own a Merc but it's a '55, not a '53.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:18 PM   #70
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
OK ....

More bad news. The ID PLATE has been altered by a re-builder. That is a SERIAL NO and how they keep track of the trans they go through. Hopefully it is the OEM install and not an exchange.

As for case measurement, there is a chart below that shows the case lengths. Follow it very carefully as to measurement.
Is the chart I posted (#63), showing a 10 1/4 in case, not for Fords?
Old 06-25-2021, 06:21 PM   #71
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
Are the numbers on your ID plate similar to mine?
Old 06-25-2021, 06:44 PM   #72
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:

Is the chart I posted (#63), showing a 10 1/4 in case, not for Fords?
I was not concise, sorry.

The main case only is measured. There is a small extension between the main case and extension housing that is not included in the measurement.

Look at the ILL closely. If it is truly a small case, you know you have the correct period trans.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-25-2021, 06:55 PM   #73
dmsfrr

Quote:
Are the numbers on your ID plate similar to mine?
. I9-1872S2 . It's an air cooled Fordomatic that came in a '55 T-Bird I bought a while back.
Might be original to the car, or not, the engine wasn't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trans tag, Right.jpg (54.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-25-2021 at 07:35 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:12 PM   #74
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
I was not concise, sorry.

The main case only is measured. There is a small extension between the main case and extension housing that is not included in the measurement.

Look at the ILL closely. If it is truly a small case, you know you have the correct period trans.
Okay, just trying to get a handle on this, were only the small cases used for Fords & Mercurys from 51-53?

In the Hemmings article (https://www.hemmings.com/stories/art...c-transmission) it states:

The Ford-O-Matic was manufactured in three different case sizes. It was initially offered in both small-case from 1951-'60 and medium-case from 1951-'68 (often referred to as the Merc-O-Matic); large-case versions were also used in 1958-'65 Lincolns.

If the article is accurate, I am guessing I could have the "medium" case, since it is a Merc-O-Matic. I will jack the car up again tomorrow (with a jack stand in place) and remeasure just to be sure of my initial measurement.

Any information on the IP-7000-N, that was only use in Mercury in 1953, per the parts manual. Was this a small case trans?

Would there be any other tags or identification numbers, on or stamped on the case?

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-25-2021 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:49 PM   #75
KULTULZ

The HEMMINGS ARTICLE is inaccurate (as a lot of TECH ARTICLES are).

I too thought the mid-case was introduced early but the MPC states otherwise. You would need the years discussed AT WSM to actually nail it down.

Look at the attached chart -

There was no need for a stronger trans (IMO) until the 292 was introduced in 1955.

Quote:
Would there be any other tags or identification numbers, on or stamped on the case?

There may be CASTING ID CODES and/or CASTING DATE CODES. Anything you see with numbers record.

MERC-O-MATIC 1951-1954 was a MERC DIV advertising description.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRANS ID Chart - Aftermarket Vendor.jpg (58.1 KB, 6 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 06-25-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:56 PM   #76
rotorwrench

Mercury, Thunderbird, and Lincoln cars were the first ones to use the medium case Ford-O-Matic/Merc-O-Matic/Turbo Drive for 1955. They wanted heavier duty drive train for the Mercury & T-bird. Lincolns had larger engines so the application was called the Turbo Drive using the bell housing for the 341 initially followed by the 368. The large case transmission came on line in 1958 for larger displacement applications like the 430 MEL.

FoMoCo did use the GM Hydramatic for the 337 initially in 1949. I don't think they wanted to but they likely had plans to change before the big fire at the GM plant in Livonia back in 53. This set GM and other manufacturers that depended on the 4-speed Hydramatic back till they could crank back up at the old Willow Run B-24 plant. I'm sure this helped Ford develope a follow on transmission to avoid such things in the future.

Rambler and Studebaker/Packard used similar design transmissions for some time as well but they differed a good bit from the ones Ford used since they had different engines and so on.

The 1955 thru 57 T-birds show to use the medium case transmission. The early ones through 1957 were all single range units. Most Ford cars didn't get the medium case transmision till 1957. The T-bird is the exception.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-26-2021 at 04:04 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:25 PM   #77
KULTULZ

More Info Below - incl 1951-53 FORD APP CHART

1P-7003-N used in both FORD and MERC.

I am beginning to think those modified TRANS ID TAGS were used by AUTHORIZED FORD RE-MANUFACTURERS used during this and later periods.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-26-2021, 09:00 AM   #78
Merc Cruzer

The "X" frame, used on the convertibles makes it a bit difficult to get a thorough look at the trans. Project for the day is, to employ a mirror, and see what I can find, along with seeing how close to 9 7/8", the case of my trans is.

It definitely helps to walk in with a known measurement. Upon remeasuring, the case and only the case, is in deed 9 7/8", in length.

The only other casting mark I found, with the aid of a lit mirror, was a raised "W 12", cast into the top of the case.

Thanks for all your help. Now if I can find a picture of an original ID tag for these transmissions, I need something to compare to mine.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-26-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:20 AM   #79
KULTULZ

Quote:

The "X" frame, used on the convertibles makes it a bit difficult to get a thorough look at the trans. Project for the day is, to employ a mirror, and see what I can find, along with seeing how close to 9 7/8", the case of my trans is.

It definitely helps to walk in with a known measurement. Upon remeasuring, the case and only the case, is in deed 9 7/8", in length.

The only other casting mark I found, with the aid of a lit mirror, was a raised "W 12", cast into the top of the case.

Thanks for all your help. Now if I can find a picture of an original ID tag for these transmissions, I need something to compare to mine.
I am glad the measurement came out correct as if it was a larger case, that means the car would have a later trans in it.

I enjoy the hell out of threads as this one as I either learn something new or it shakes a few cobwebs loose.

EDIT -

Check Here For Possible Tag Repro -

https://www.martiauto.com/tags.cfm

Generic tag shown below -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRANS - AT - FM ID TAG Location.jpg (44.2 KB, 9 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 06-26-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #80
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
I am glad the measurement came out correct as if it was a larger case, that means the car would have a later trans in it.

I enjoy the hell out of threads as this one as I either learn something new or it shakes a few cobwebs loose.

EDIT -

Check Here For Possible Tag Repro -

https://www.martiauto.com/tags.cfm

Generic tag shown below -
I wonder if anyone is still producing them?