Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2020, 01:55 PM   #15
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Which is easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
"Easiest way" might depend on what tools you have and how much empty space is in your workspace. I pulled the engine out of my Dearborn wagon after only 7 miles without removing anything but the fan and radiator to swap out the junk new TO bearing. I now test new TO bearings on my drill press before trusting they are good.
In this case I left the trans in and used 4 4" bolts with the heads cut off and screwdrivers slots cut into the back , screwed into the block and a floor jack under the trans to adjust the angle. These "line up pins" made it very easy to mate the engine back to the trans. Nothing scraped or damaged.
Now that I am 70 I find concrete floors less forgiving then when I was younger! I usually pull the trans with the engine. A QUALITY device to level and change the angle of your attachment to the engine is crucial.
I understand not wanting to mess with the front end sheet metal of a 33-34 if you don't have a good way of pulling the motor and trans out the front definitely roll the rear back.

I like your car, I have a 33 standard phaeton.
Interesting idea of testing the throw out bearing. Curious how you do it with a drill?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote