Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #41
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: Bubbas hacked !!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Sorry guys, but there are computer infections that can not be removed. Don't confuse a simple computer virus with what is going on here, they are not the same thing. If you continue to believe you can remove anything that ends up on your computer you may be in for a surprise. Reformatting the hard drive or replacing it may work, but all of the data is still lost. Would depend on the age and value of the computer if it is worth trying to repair or if it is just cheaper to replace it. Only real solution is to have everything backed up to a completely separate device and not allow it to get contaminated.

Yep i am on the other network this morning and the infected computer is unplugged in the front of the shop. Will have a burial this week sometime. It wasnt that i had to junk it, but all concerned it was the best thing to do. It was a new work terminal with some docs and files , pics etc. Also was hooked to my shipping printer for ups shipping. Thats really the only thing that i miss so far.
Thanks for the concerns and suggestions.
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #42
Jeff/Illinois

This has been on the news back here. These guys are making millions of dollars doing this. Everybody just pays the ransom and hope for the best. It's driving the FBI crazy.

Sometimes technology plain sucks I'm sorry...........
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #43
barnfind

Re "i lost quite a bit in pictures etc and some documents."
If these are extremely desirable to recover
You may be able to remove the hard drive and install in a generic USB harddrive adapter.
It should be ok to plug it in as a USB drive and see what files and folders are viewable.

I also bought a file recovery program one time - lots of work because the files are recovered a labeled as "12345NNN" so you end up inspecting 1000s of files to find the ones you really want to keep.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #44
Diavolo

OK, I am just providing this info as my opinion, but this is what I do. I have a personal cloud made up of old 1TB drives. I backup to these.

This is the #1 thing to do, in my opinion, to prevent ever getting any viruses, hijacks, etc. Make an admin account, then make a user account. Make the user account without admin privileges. Then use that account for everything and NEVER use the admin account unless you have personally purchased the software you want to install.

I go to some pretty shady places on the dark web and I have had hijack attempts a few times. All I have to do is hit the power button and restart. It all just goes away.

Your mileage may vary.
Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:07 AM   #45
gallagher

I had it happen a few years ago I found online how to fix it took me a bit ago your photos are not lost there's software to get them back even if deleted
gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:10 AM   #46
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
I had it happen a few years ago I found online how to fix it took me a bit ago your photos are not lost there's software to get them back even if deleted
Different problem!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:18 AM   #47
grovesmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Had a pretty bad hack job this morning on a email recieved etc. Got a email from a so called Co Court asking me to appear in court April 22 and to brinjg info with me. There was a attached file for more info. Opened the file and the computer came up with a message saying i had to pay xxxxxx in bit coins to ever open this computer again. I have had three computer guys look at it today .and they all say either pay them or junk the computer....ie new hard drive etc.

I have decided not to pay the randsom and will pick it up on another seperate computer in a few days.

So bear with me and i will catch up with the emails from home etc....
no need to junk the computer. you dont say what type of computer you, have is it home built or a prefab "name brand", and what os?

in the case of a off the shelf unit you most likely have a hidden partition with an image as it was from the factory, you can usually use this option to restore to the factory condition but you will lose all the data.

if you have a homemade pc, you should have the windows disk to reinstall. you will want to use the same disk or same version of the os that matches your key. if you already upgraded to windows 10 you probably were forced to make a microsoft account and they know your key and you dont need to remember it just go here and make a usb to install and when you sign into windowns after install microsoft will validate it. https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/soft...load/windows10

again youre losing your data here but saving the computer. if you want to go all out get a new hard drive, its overkill really but if you are insisting on piece of mind, id suggest a cheap ssd if you dont need lots of space. if your computer is an old laptop say 4 or more years old then id just suggest getting a new computer then.

last option here is to hope your data can be saved, not all ransomware is the same. some have had the lock broken, some havent yet. if the one you have isnt fixable now it may be in a few months or a year. if you have stuff you cant get back and would like to have stash the computer somewhere until a fix is made for your version of the virus
grovesmr is offline   Reply With Quote