Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
Art Bjornestad

Default Fire wall insulator

Does anyone have any experience on these insulators? Do they help with noise and heat and are they a bear to install?
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Fire wall insulator

there was a discussion on these about a week ago here
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

they help with noise and heat and they also look decent. i find it very easy to put in but youll hear otherwise also. (cutting them in half etc.) i put one in a 30 tudor and slid right up
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
John LaVoy

We reviewed these in the Model A Times several years ago. They work very well and are well made. Installation requires removal of everything that passes through the firewall, wiring fuel lines etc. You use the junction box screws to secure it. It is not difficult to install. We followed up with installing them in all of the Model A Times project cars, that is how much we think they work.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
Clem Clement

I used a roll of the shiny stuff. Cut around the lines, etc. It is stiff enough to stay in place. It cut the noise in half as well as the heat. I also have a heat deflector over the muffler.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
Thom IV

I did pretty much the same as Clem, except I painted the shiny stuff. It stays in place. I cut it a little long so I could stuff the ends in behind the kick pads. It cut the heat and noise about in half. Am thinking about adding another layer of insulation to the firewall.

Thom IV
Thom IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom IV View Post
I did pretty much the same as Clem, except I painted the shiny stuff. It stays in place. I cut it a little long so I could stuff the ends in behind the kick pads. It cut the heat and noise about in half. Am thinking about adding another layer of insulation to the firewall.

Thom IV
Does anyone insulate up between the firewall and gas tank. It seems that would be very worthwhile, but I never hear mention of it. Also how about under the seats?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
Steve Miller

Anybody have a picture of one of these installed?
Thanks
Steve Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
John Butts in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Does anyone insulate up between the firewall and gas tank. It seems that would be very worthwhile, but I never hear mention of it. Also how about under the seats?
I think I may have replied to a similar question on the former site... but here goes.

First... I've never laid eyes on one of the rigid firewall insulators.

Second... Originally, one could purchase after-market felt pads for under the floor mats of 'A's. (check out the "Unauthorized Accessories" book.)

Third.... Starting with 1/2" thick grey felt carpet padding, a set of sharp shears and a box cutter, I made a full set of pads for my Tudor. One piece fits under the rear seat. One piece (under the rubber mat) runs from the rear seat to the front seat hinges. One piece (again, under the rubber mat) runs from the front seat hinges waaaaay up between the gas tank and the firewall. It stays in place by friction alone. I carefully cut slots so that front section can pull out in an instant. I also cut a three-sided flap for the battery cover. My seams do not line up with either the rubber mat edges or the floorboard edges, so as to aid in draft/noise reduction (read on). To finish it off, I used a rattle can of flat black (outside the car!) to color the felt wherever it showed through holes in the black rubber mats AND the section that extends from the from mats up the firewall. The "firewall" section of the pad now disappears in the shadows.

Results? Drafts eliminated. "Light" around pedals eliminated. All pedals (including starter) function fine (caveat... make sure your brake and clutch pedals are restored to spec if you want a draft/light-free seal). Temperature insulation... impressive. Noise reduction... particularly impressive. My wife and I often remark how easy it is to carry on a conversation... even between the front and rear passengers, and that includes running at 50 MPH.

Cost? Okay... this may be ten years out of date.... maybe $15.00

Try it. Hope this helps.
John Butts in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:48 AM   #10
Al

I did the same as John with carpet padding.....worked great.
Al is offline   Reply With Quote