Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Ford coupe

Question Help open 36 spare tire lock

I am sure i have the correct key to open my 36 spare tire lock but the lock just will not turn..I have put pen oil in but to no avail..Does that lock push down through a hole in the spare carrier and the two little fingers extend out and not let it come back until you turn the key and retract them??If so the fingers could be stuck to the hole and hence i can not turn the key..I just hate to drill it out as the locks are expensive and hard to come by..The key i have does not resemble the pic of a Hurd key but i am sure it came with the lock..Lock worked great when i installed it 3 yrs ago..Hope you guys can help Harry
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: Help open 36 spare tire lock

If I recall correctly you do have to push down on the lock a bit and then turn the key to release the fingers that hold the lock to the wheel cover. Also, you have to put a little pressure on the key when you turn it. Not a whole lot but more than a little bit.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
keith oh

Google, 1936 ford spare tire lock
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Ford coupe

Should i not be able to turn the lock unit in the hole unless the little fingers are sort of glued to the hole in the tire carrier??? THNKS
Old 04-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
mrtexas

The little fingers are held out by only a weak spring. If you could get to the fingers you could easily squeeze them together. It only takes a very little pressure turning the key to retract the fingers. The wheel should pop out very easily.

Try taking off the wheel carrier and wheel together and then you could drill two 1/4 inch holes in the rear of the carrier to get to the fingers.

Fingers can be depressed easily without a key if you can get to them

Carrier prevents you from getting to the fingers, so drill two holes in the back to get to them. You won't be able to see the holes with the carrier and wheel mounted on the car. It still wouldn't help you if the fingers are frozen.

Lock cylinder is held in by a set screw:

I destroyed the first lock I got by drilling it out because I didn't know how the system worked like the above two pictures. Luckily someone found a couple replacement locks for me at last year's Portland swap meet cheap, pretty hard to find actually.

http://mrtexascitrus.weebly.com/36fordsparelock.html

Last edited by mrtexas; 04-05-2013 at 04:27 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Ford coupe

So even if the fingers are frozen or stuck the key should turn the lock cylinder..So if i have the right key which i am quite sure i do.it is probably the lock cylinder..It should turn whether the fingers are stuck or not..Maybe a locksmith???they are a dying breed..Drill it out but could ruin the whole lock.Really hate idea opf taking rumble all apart to get carrier off..??????? Thanks Barners
Old 04-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford coupe View Post
So even if the fingers are frozen or stuck the key should turn the lock cylinder?
NO, in that case you must drill it out.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
Don

If it was mine ,I would put some pressure downward while putting a little pressure on The key ,the key rotates the cam that the fingers attach to moving in or out over the inner lip of wheel,maybe use a rubber hammer to hit the cap ,don't dent the stainless,around the outside while applying a little pressure on key ,three fingers evenly spaced around the cap
Old 04-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

I would only drill your lock as an absolute last resort. There have been several previous posts on this subject in the last six months so a search may find them. They came up with some means of getting in from the rear of the mount to release those two latches. Once you get the lock off you can remove the cylinder and have a key cut to the numbers or get the cylinder re-keyed. I have a nice lock cylinder for '36 spare tire but it would need a key cut to the numbers on the side of the cylinder.
Keep working at it, I think you will find a way to get it off without destroying the lock cylinder.

Here is one post that might be of some help... https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...pare+tire+lock

Another.... https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...pare+tire+lock

And Another.... https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...pare+tire+lock

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 04-05-2013 at 10:22 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
1937pickup

I would spray it (inside the key hole) for a few days with Kroil or 50/50 acetone & ATF. I would try turning/moving the key every few days. I think it will eventually unlock.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
36Bill

I had the same problem with my 36 pickup. I was able to get behind and open it by pressing the fingers in. It is not easy and takes time. I don't know what yours looks like but you might go that way. I spent over an hour watching a locksmith getting nothing. The lock, once it is out is easy to take apart and rekey, just make sure you keep track of how it was put together. The key turns to the right less than a quarter turn and you have to pull up or pry a little to get the lock to lift. I broke the key off turning the key thinking that it would open by itself, it didn't. I sprayed just about everything in the lock for over a year, trying it every week, it never opened with the key. Good luck.

Bill
36Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
CalMI

If your spare tire has air in it make sure to let the air out. On my 36, air in the tire puts too much pressure on the lock.

Cal
CalMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #13
Ford coupe

I notice the number 127m stamped on my key .Is there any way of knowing if this is for a Hurd lock.It does not have hurd stamped on it but it could be a re cut right?
Old 04-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
blucar

To my way of thinking, I don't believe the tire/tire-mount can be removed from the inside of the trunk.. As I recall the nuts for the mount are "caged" inside of the trunk deck. Anyway they were on every '35-36 Ford, coupe/sedan that I have taken a tire mount off of.
If the spare tire cover is the common Ford cover with the simulated Ford hub cap, the locking fingers can be accessed from the back side through the hole in the mount, that is if the mount is not secured to the body..
In the case of the "August-36" cover, there is no access hole because of the extension that is welded to the mount, to reach the more shallow cover..
I would suggest deflating the tire to relieve the pressure on the cover, then the tension on the cover and/or lock will be released.. Slightly work the key in the lock to move the lock tumblers..
Most likely the key is slightly "off code".. If the lock won't release, drill it out through the key-way, being careful to not drill through the lock body.. Drill only the tumblers out. I use a "Dremel tool with a small Dremel cutter bit.. I watched a locksmith do this on one of my rental units. Promptly went out and bought a Dremel tool set.
The lock portion of the assembly is readily available, the lock body is not.. The locks come up on eBay regularly..
Old 04-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
Ford coupe

So right blucar ..got arm in behind rumble lid and sure enough 4 cage nuts ..So the only way i suppose is to drill it out or a locksmith/I will play around with penetrant and keep trying it for a while though..Gotta do what i gotta do i guess..Ford coupe
Old 04-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Remove the outer ring on the cover then turn the inner a bit let and right ,may help to loosen it .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #17
fordy46

I have 2 fairly nice 36 spare tire lock covers, However no keys. From what I am reading here, I can drill out the old locks and replace the lock portion (not the body) portion. Question is? Who sells the lock portion only?? Thanks in advance, Dan
fordy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #18
Ford coupe

when i try to turn the key i can hear a click when trying to turn it right or left as if the little fingers are in a notched out spot at the hole they go through..I know it is to be turned right and there are no cutous for the fingers.This lock worked perfect when installed but have not operated it for 2 or 3 yrs..Iwish to thank all you who have offered their assistance and you can rest assured i have tried every one of your ideas....
Old 04-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #19
Ford coupe

btt
Old 04-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #20
blucar

Attached is a couple of pix of a '36 spare tire lock.. You will note that the assy is quite large, the actual lock being a small portion of same.. The second pix shows the location of the set screw that holds the lock cylinder into the assembly..
As I have already stated.. If you attempt to drill the lock out, just drill down through the key-way, drilling out the tumblers.. Then insert a screw driver blade into the key-way and carefully turn the lock.. The locking fingers are spring loaded, so the minute you release the screw driver, they will return to the locked position..
Since I watched a lock smith drill out a lock with a Dremel tool, I have gotten pretty good at it.. I have drilled out several ignition locks, etc., for myself and friends..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Frd tir cov lck.1.jpg (22.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 36 Frd tir cov lck.2.jpg (30.3 KB, 65 views)