Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #1
Mainiac96

Default Best way to enter and exit 31 CCPU

After a few weeks of learning and tinkering on my first Model A the weather is getting to the point here in Maine where I can occasionally move it out of the garage to use the space for other projects. I have really noticed how difficult it is to get my 6 foot 230 lb beat up body in and out of the driver seat. I also know there is a finite amount of space to utilize. Any suggestions or discoveries anyone might have? It's going on the road in a month or so and I really hate to embarrass myself in public shoehorning in and out. thanks! Mike
Mainiac96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Roger V

Default Re: Best way to enter and exit 31 CCPU

Some have had a "custom" two inch thinner seat back cushion made to help with this but mainly to help with leg room and steering wheel clearance. Since the stock cushion is made with springs, Snyder's Antique Auto Parts may make this for you (they were the only or major manufacturer of seat springs). It would be less expensive to have your local upholstery shop make one out of foam and cover it with material similar to the bottom cushion (if original type, you can buy bolt material from LeBaron-Bonney).
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
larry harding

i just got the seats in my cab and can barely get my feet in between the door opening and the corner of the seat. i find i have to bring them in longways through the gap . were people that much smaller 70 years ago?
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
SSsssteamer

I have found the best way for my 6'3" frame & 220# butt to enter our '31 CCPU is to put my right foot in first, straight in to the throttle foot rest, set my buns on the seat and fit my left foot through the gap between the seat and the door frame. Getting out is easier. The left foot leads to the ground with the right foot soon to follow.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #5
2manycars

I made a thinner seat back rest with a peice of plywood, 2 inch foam, and the standard upholstery over that, stapled to the plywood.
I enter forward, and exit butt first.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #6
cpf240

Maybe get in on the passenger side and slide over?
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #7
Mainiac96

Just came back in from tinkering and I'm relieved to see I'm not alone in this. I think the thinner seat back is an excellent idea. While I was in the garage I tried a few different approaches to entry and it seems the most graceful for me is to sit down, back to and then slide my backside toward the middle and that gives me room to fold my legs in and feet to the foot box. Steamer, your method was my standard till now. Kudo's for getting that extra 2-3 inches in there! :-) Next painful part is ordering tires and mounting them? How does the mounting typically go?

thanks Mike
Old 02-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #8
Dodge

I go in backwards and come out frontwards seems to work best.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
Tony Hillyard

I had a similar problem getting in and out of my Tudor Sedan. You don't say which model you have.

As I have two prosthetic knees I found getting in and out a bit tricky. In the end I made up a couple of front seat extensions to move the seat back where the seat folds forwards. That gives me more room to get in and out, plus more leg room when driving.
Tony Hillyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #10
Art Newland

I'd own a pickup if there was more room inside one. I'm 6'2" 250, it's snug but no problem with my 30 coupe. I was at an event last year where several pickups were in attendance, asked permission to crawl in to check them for room. The 29 was impossible, the 31 I could get in and could probably drive it but was folded up pretty bad inside so any kind of long distance drive is out of the question. Sad thing is any of the older Ford pickups aren't much better.
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #11
SeaSlugs

yea the 29 CCPU cabs are even more interesting. I'm tall enough to never know to use the running boards or not...feet can touch the ground when stepping in and out but thighs too long to sit and swivel feet into position...if I utilize the running board that just makes everything way worse haha.

usually my shoes get stuck on all sorts of things or the door post to seat riser area. AA's are worse as you have the dual high rocker pedal smack under your foot along with starter button, accel , accel rest, clutch, brake to deal with. Better be cozy with whoevers riding shotgun...

If you've ever seen life size statues of past famous people or presidents from around 1900 they were amazingly small... Would be interesting to have them time travel and fit in a modern full-size - they would get lost in them!
Old 02-28-2017, 12:27 PM   #12
Jim Brierley

I do as SSsssteamer does. I'm 6'1" and 185lbs. and also have a '31 pickup, widebed. LaBaron Bonney makes a thin seat-back for these.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:43 PM   #13
foxfire42

I'm only 5' 6" (weight is secret) and I struggle too. I have a few different body styles and NONE are cooperative. I go out the passenger side on bench seats feet first so I don't struggle getting my feet between the seat and door. I've already warn out the lower corner of the upholstery on the door.
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:01 PM   #14
CarlG

Just to add insult to injury, my '31 CCPU apparently has a seat that was made by an upholstery shop to fit the PO. The seat looks beautiful, but is much higher than it's suppose to be and quite restrictive. I'm only 5'9", but my head brushes up against the headliner (also not original).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inside Cab.jpg (23.5 KB, 95 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:03 PM   #15
KGBnut

However you get in, resist the temptation to pull yourself by the steering wheel. This is especially important if you steering column is bolted to the underside of the fuel tank. You will cause cracks and fuel leaks. I think that by '31 they had switched to the long bracket that bolts behind the dash panel...but, I don't think I would really want to be yanking on that either.

Ken
Old 02-28-2017, 01:30 PM   #16
Dollar Bill

I'm 6' and about 220 and find it easiest to not use the running board. Left foot on the ground, stick your right foot in, fold in the middle and slide in by steadying myself with my right hand on the seat. Not the most graceful mount procedure but it works for me.

People must have been much smaller back then.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #17
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar Bill View Post
...People must have been much smaller back then.
My Dad, born in 1920, was 5'6"
I was born in 1941, am 5'9"
Two of my sons, born after 1960, are over 6'
Grandson, born after 1980 is about 6'2

Go figure.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:17 PM   #18
Mainiac96

This one is a 31 Budd cab (indented firewall) with the wide bed. I did some more practicing and I think with the backing in and sliding toward the passenger side before tucking my feet into the pedals I will be fine. I can definitely see a slimmer seat back in my future also.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:22 PM   #19
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
I have found the best way for my 6'3" frame & 220# butt to enter our '31 CCPU is to put my right foot in first, straight in to the throttle foot rest, set my buns on the seat and fit my left foot through the gap between the seat and the door frame. Getting out is easier. The left foot leads to the ground with the right foot soon to follow.
That's the way I did it when I had my 30 CCPU. Course I was younger, skinnier, and more flexible then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpf240 View Post
Maybe get in on the passenger side and slide over?
That avoids the steering wheel but you still have to contend with the shifter and e-brake.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:41 PM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

I'm about the same size as the OP and I also kind of back in on my 28 Phaeton, which never gets the top lowered. The worst part seems to be cocking my left foot to get it past the seat. After entering and leaving a few times, it just seems to come natural and isn't too bad.

Another bad part is the red steering wheel will leave marks on your clothing after a humid night, unless I really wipe it down good first.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote