Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
Allanw

Default New Kiwi Member

Hi all!

My Father has wanted a Model A for YEARS, so we finally got one to share. He's not the computer kind, plus I'll be doing all the work on it anyway!

I've had many old VW's, so I not unfamiliar with oldish cars and think the Model A is awesome. It's a 1929 Canadian Tudor, presumably assembled here in New Zealand.

It has a surprising amount of documentation with it, including receipts etc - a saw a few from the 40's at least!

So today was my first Model A drive, from the transport company to my Parents house. Traffic was light, and flowed well, it was much easier than I expected. No major gear crunches, just a few "crisp" changes here and there. Even made it up the hill I was worried about, in top gear!

It's a lovely old car, seemingly only 4 previous owners - some sister who got it new, who sold it to a farmer, then sold deceased-estate to the father of the lady we got it from. 98,000 miles and very tidy for a "unrestored" car.

I'll pop in from time to time to pick your brains Hopefully not to often - I just have to find out why it sounds like there is something shooting around in the bellhousing Hopefully it's something easy and simple! Second gear is far noisier than the others but seems to shift and perform well.

I look forward to filling my brain with Model A wisdom!

Thanks everyone!

Allan Williams,
Whangarei
New Zealand
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Christoph

Default Re: New Kiwi Member

Hi Allan

Wellcome here

Congrats to your car - I like it.

about up-hill:
this is not a VW
its got displacement

Have fun with this car

Find out about "shooting arround in bellhousing" ,
but dont care too much about noises from 2nd gear
you might rework your gearbox or drive it with some
noises for next 50 years..

long distance greets.
Christoph

BTW why didnt i see any "A" when i travelled Kiwi-Land?
Seems there are lots arround.
Christoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
quickchange

Welcome bro from the mainland, Sounds like a bendix bolt in the housing . often find old ones there . can,t cause any harm, check trans for correct oil ,
Christoph. Plenty of A,s here. next vist let us know you are coming & we will set it up. Derek,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
Welcome bro from the mainland, Sounds like a bendix bolt in the housing . often find old ones there . can,t cause any harm, check trans for correct oil ,
Christoph. Plenty of A,s here. next vist let us know you are coming & we will set it up. Derek,
It's a pretty tight clearance between the flywheel ring gear and cover. I saw a cover with a hole punched through it from a lost bolt.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Alan,
Pop off the starter, firmly smash a glob of HEAVY grease to the flywheel teeth, turn the crank several times & it may pick up the "GREMLIN" parts! Bill W.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
supergnat

Alan,
congratulations on getting what appears to be a beautiful car. I agree with Bill above but I wouls use a magnetic pick-up tool and fish around in the flywheel housing a little. I found a screw a and the screw retaining wire in mine. I have the special bendix on a late 28 which is different than the newer design. Good luck.
Supergnat in NJ, USA
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Karl

Hi Allan Welcome on board They're not a bad bunch on here and very helpful. Most of them just have their steering wheels on the wrong (ie not right) side !. I'm in Feilding in the Manawatu. Models A's are great . My first was a 1930 Sports coupe which I have only just sold . It came from Max Knight in Whangarei and was a really nice car . The Phaeton just gives me extra seating room for the family. Parts are easy to get with Derek ( Quickchange above ) being a good supplier . I would also advise you to get some catalogues from the Partshouses in the States eg Synders, Berts , Brattons . With a good dollar currently importing parts is easy and not particulary expensive . Try and get to Art Deco in Napier with it in February next year its a blast !

Regards

Karl Gilchrist
Aorangi Health Centre
Feilding
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
160B

I have retrieved two starter bolts, the first time I used a four prong grabber and was able to fish the bolt out after about 20 minutes of fishing through the starter hole. The last time I used the four prong grabber with an 8lb pickup rare earth magnetic in the prongs with a good wrap of duct tape to ensure I did not lose the magnet in the flywheel housing. I was able to get the bolt out in less than two minutes.

hope this helps

See photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4590.jpg (75.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4592.jpg (41.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4593.JPG (177.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4594.JPG (148.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by 160B; 10-08-2012 at 06:34 PM.
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
Hi Allan

Wellcome here

Congrats to your car - I like it.

about up-hill:
this is not a VW
its got displacement

Have fun with this car

Find out about "shooting arround in bellhousing" ,
but dont care too much about noises from 2nd gear
you might rework your gearbox or drive it with some
noises for next 50 years..

long distance greets.
Christoph

BTW why didnt i see any "A" when i travelled Kiwi-Land?
Seems there are lots arround.
Hi Cristoph! My VW is a 1600, so goes very well, and my transporter has a 165 hp 2.5 Subaru engine But I certainly know wat you mean!

I thought 2nd sounded just noisy, as opposed to going to explode noisy Good to hear!

And there does seem to be a LOT for A's over here - they pop up all over the place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
Hello! Another local!

I'll try to dig it out... it doesn't sound good! Haven't checked the trans oil yet, but will probably give the whole car a good service very soon - after we enjoy it a bit first. It leaks a bit from the bell housing after turning it off, but I assume a bit of a leak is pretty normal, but I might try to minimise this one. Only seems to do it after a drive, then stops once the car is sitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
It's a pretty tight clearance between the flywheel ring gear and cover. I saw a cover with a hole punched through it from a lost bolt.
I thought I might remove the starter and the cover near the gearlever to see in there and fish out what I can. I'm a Biomedical Tech in the Clinical Engineering department at the hospital here, so I by design I can't bear things that aren't "right"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Alan,
Pop off the starter, firmly smash a glob of HEAVY grease to the flywheel teeth, turn the crank several times & it may pick up the "GREMLIN" parts! Bill W.
Another good trick! You guys are awesome! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergnat View Post
Alan,
congratulations on getting what appears to be a beautiful car. I agree with Bill above but I wouls use a magnetic pick-up tool and fish around in the flywheel housing a little. I found a screw a and the screw retaining wire in mine. I have the special bendix on a late 28 which is different than the newer design. Good luck.
Supergnat in NJ, USA
Yeah, I will - I have a funny feeling it's something starter related - I found it quite complicated to start with all the levers and buttons, and I forgot to turn on the fuel the second time I started it - so there was a lot of cranking/fiddling and I left my foot on the button for a second after it started bt accident.... Hope it easy to sort - I don't want to drive it the way it is just now... I have the starting sorted though. With the fuel on, it fires right up, everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Hi Allan Welcome on board They're not a bad bunch on here and very helpful. Most of them just have their steering wheels on the wrong (ie not right) side !. I'm in Feilding in the Manawatu. Models A's are great . My first was a 1930 Sports coupe which I have only just sold . It came from Max Knight in Whangarei and was a really nice car . The Phaeton just gives me extra seating room for the family. Parts are easy to get with Derek ( Quickchange above ) being a good supplier . I would also advise you to get some catalogues from the Partshouses in the States eg Synders, Berts , Brattons . With a good dollar currently importing parts is easy and not particulary expensive . Try and get to Art Deco in Napier with it in February next year its a blast !

Regards

Karl Gilchrist
Aorangi Health Centre
Feilding
Ha - The car is from Palmerston North - practically next door to you . I can already see they are a great bunch on here! I rally wasn't expecting this much help from just my first post! I thought I'd have to ask a proper tech question with all the details and wait for the answer to creep in... apparently not! Good to know where to get parts too. I know there are parts and there are good parts, and buying from overseas means you have to work out which are which! I know with my VW and BMW bit's, it's easy to order the WRONG ones!. I've had a look at Snyders, and there are a few things we'd like to get. We have a leaky exhaust manifold I need to sort soon! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
I have retrieved two starter bolts, the first time I used a three prong grabber and was able to fish the bolt out after about 20 minutes of fishing through the starter hole. The last time I used the three prong grabber with an 8lb pickup rare earth magnetic in the prongs with a good wrap of duct tape to ensure I did not lose the magnet in the flywheel housing. I was able to get the bolt out in less than two minutes.

hope this helps

See photos.
Yeah, I've got a stash of grabbers at work, and some rare earth magnets, so I'll see what I get. I'll no doub have to post a picture of what I get, and make sure it isn't a critcal part :-)

Thanks VERY much for thee al information from all of you!

Allan.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
Bick in New Zealand

Hi Allan,

Welcome to the best 'A' site in the world. That looks like a great Tudor, you have obtained. I lived in Palmerston North, and don't recall ever seeing that car around.
Enjoy the car, and this website.

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bick in New Zealand View Post
Hi Allan,

Welcome to the best 'A' site in the world. That looks like a great Tudor, you have obtained. I lived in Palmerston North, and don't recall ever seeing that car around.
Enjoy the car, and this website.
Hi Bick,

Apparently it was sold new in Ashburton by Ashburton Motors, according to the the above the windscreen. It lived in Hamilton for quite a while, before the previous owner moved to PN (which I think was only a small number of years ago). It's only done about 4500 miles since 1986, so doesn't get out much!

The roof is a bit rough too, and may need to be recovered or coated with something fairly soon. It doesn't have any evidence of leaks though.

This does seem to be a great place for info and help. My Wife is going to kill me when she finds out I'm reading another forum!

Thanks
Allan.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

Allan,
Tell the wife, "This forum's different, it has a Vicious Rat Terrier, A Ghost, and a Nutcake!" Bill W.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #13
Bassman/NZ

Derek Thomason (Quickchange here) is the go to man in NZ for parts. I have had heaps from him, and it seldom works out much dearer than buying direct from the US, especially with USPS charges lately! Sometimes it's cheaper.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #14
Tudortomnz

Hi allan
Nice looking Tudor. they are a great body style, roomy & easy for passengers or goods etc. If originally from Asburton, the Dealer there often mounted a small white round badge on the dash rail. The cars arrived at Timaru for minor assembly [ all bodywork etc done at Ontario] then sent to the Sth Islnd Dealers.
Can you send me a pm [ click my FB moniker] giving cars engine#, body # [ floor, metal member front of pass. seat] &. date of NZ rego.'
Thanks
tom
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:16 AM   #15
Allanw

Quote:
Allan,
Tell the wife, "This forum's different, it has a Vicious Rat Terrier, A Ghost, and a Nutcake!" Bill W.
Haha... she said "that doesn't sound any different..... Has the nutcake just joined?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
Derek Thomason (Quickchange here) is the go to man in NZ for parts. I have had heaps from him, and it seldom works out much dearer than buying direct from the US, especially with USPS charges lately! Sometimes it's cheaper.
Sounds good. I do worry about buying from overseas (although I have been VERY active on ebay lately!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
Hi allan
Nice looking Tudor. they are a great body style, roomy & easy for passengers or goods etc. If originally from Asburton, the Dealer there often mounted a small white round badge on the dash rail. The cars arrived at Timaru for minor assembly [ all bodywork etc done at Ontario] then sent to the Sth Islnd Dealers.
Can you send me a pm [ click my FB moniker] giving cars engine#, body # [ floor, metal member front of pass. seat] &. date of NZ rego.'
Thanks
tom
yes, it has that exact small white badge! Held there with two nails or rivets? I'm glad they came in mostly assembled - the NZ built VW's weren't as good as the German ones, and often rusted more.

I'll certainly send the PM - I'll have to check the details of the first date of registration, but I believe it was sometime in March 1930.

I had a poke around with a magnet today.....

It appears to be a washer with two "tangs" on - opposite each other, pointing opposing directions... I assume there is still a bolt or nut in there somewhere... I think I heard the noise one more time afterwards, and drove it with the small cover off, to see if anything shot out . Nothing so far!

I even managed to start it again, with no problems!

Should I be waiting for something important to fall off now?

Allan
Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #16
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanw View Post
Hello! Another local!

I'll try to dig it out... it doesn't sound good! Haven't checked the trans oil yet, but will probably give the whole car a good service very soon - after we enjoy it a bit first. It leaks a bit from the bell housing after turning it off, but I assume a bit of a leak is pretty normal, but I might try to minimise this one. Only seems to do it after a drive, then stops once the car is sitting.
The leak is pretty normal for a car that has gotten little drive time for so many years. Acids in the oil will damage the babbitt and sometimes lightly etch the crank. Most times you can minimize the leak by dropping the pan (needs this anyway) and checking the bearing clearances and removing some shims. If you have any problems with this procedure, just post here and help will be quickly on the way.

You might also, try attaching one of those rare earth magnets to the flywheel and just rotating the engine to pick up the object. If none of this works and you have to separate the engine and transmission, leave the bearing adjustment till the motor is out and give the motor a good going over on the stand. It is easy to go over all the bearings with the motor upside down and fully open. Hard to work lying on your back with oil dripping in your face.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #17
c125bob

Looks like a nice car ! Welcome from Georgia USA. These folks have helped me a lot, I'm a newbie as well.
c125bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #18
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
Most times you can minimize the leak by dropping the pan (needs this anyway) and checking the bearing clearances and removing some shims. If you have any problems with this procedure, just post here and help will be quickly on the way.
Woooooo... Thanks James... I think that sounds like something I'll leave for a while - I think we've done all of 12 miles in it so far, so we'd best get some quality time in before we get into some in depth fiddling! I'll be sure to make a note! I've taken Friday off work, so there will certainly be some fiddling going on then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c125bob View Post
Looks like a nice car ! Welcome from Georgia USA. These folks have helped me a lot, I'm a newbie as well.
Cheers! My wifes cousins partner is from Georgia - They live in San Fransisco now though.

Thanks,
Allan.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #19
supergnat

Alsn,
The part in your photo appears to be a bendix drive spring lock washer. Be sure to pull your starter and ensure that the bolts have those lock washers installed. You would not want a bolt to fly our and cause more problems. What year is your car?
Supergnat
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #20
juke joint johnny

Thats a great looking sedan Good Luck and Welcome

I've read about that Art Deco week in Napier in an English newspaper

Evidently the town was destroyed and rebuilt all in the Art Deco style of the 1930's

The paper had pictures of people there dressed up in the period clothing and Lots of

Model A's on the street for a weeks celabration !!!

Sounds like a great thread for the Ford Barn.

Now I've got 3 months to convince the wife we should go !!!

Mind you she hasn't forgiven me for taking her to the Tractor Mania show on our

anniversary yet !!!

JohnCochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #21
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by juke joint johnny View Post
...she hasn't forgiven me for taking her to the Tractor Mania show on our anniversary yet !!! ...
Better than the memorable trip I took my (first) wife on our anniversary -- to the city dump.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #22
BILL WILLIAMSON

Allan & Wife,
"NUTCAKE" has been posting for nigh on to 2 years & hasn't been BANNED, yet! Bill W.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #23
Allanw

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergnat View Post
Alsn,
The part in your photo appears to be a bendix drive spring lock washer. Be sure to pull your starter and ensure that the bolts have those lock washers installed. You would not want a bolt to fly our and cause more problems. What year is your car?
Supergnat
I might pull it tomorrow and see - no - a bolt shooting around would be bad alright!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juke joint johnny View Post
Thats a great looking sedan Good Luck and Welcome

I've read about that Art Deco week in Napier in an English newspaper

Evidently the town was destroyed and rebuilt all in the Art Deco style of the 1930's
Now I've got 3 months to convince the wife we should go !!!

JohnCochran
Napier is awesome... Good luck with the convincing, although it pays to remember - It's easier to ask forgivness than permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Better than the memorable trip I took my (first) wife on our anniversary -- to the city dump.
Errr... I note you say first

Quote:
Allan & Wife,
"NUTCAKE" has been posting for nigh on to 2 years & hasn't been BANNED, yet! Bill W.
Should he be?

Cheers!

Allan.