Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-17-2020, 05:26 PM   #1
35fordtn

Default 1932-34 Ford 3.54 reproduction gears

Just a a FYI.....

In the last 6 months I have installed seven sets of the 32-34 reproduction 3.54 gears. on each one it was necessary, ABSOLUTELY necessary to shim the 4221 carrier bearing on the ring gear a minimum of .030". If you do not check this I can assure you WILL have issues. This seems a lot but can be made up with gasket shims. Also, before pre-determining the pinion back lash, I break in the gears with a drill and a socket made from a spline adapter. This wears off any rough machining areas, which inevitably changes the backlash..

For those of you curious how to shim the carrier bearing, a set of arbor shims in the proper size works, or we sell them in our store.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 1932-34 Ford 3.54 reproduction gears

Where are the gear sets made if you don't mind me asking. I have an older set of Italian made gears for the later 6-spline banjos that had dimensional problems but it's a different type of problem. They must have something off on their final width dimension if they are all like that. 60 thousandths total is dam near 1/16". I wonder about the replacement side bearings & cups too on their dimensions. Can you tell where the problem might be?
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:38 PM   #3
Bored&Stroked

I just installed a set in my 32 last summer - did not need to do what you did, but I did need to clearance the bell on the ring gear side - such that the ring gear didn't touch and grind on it. I used all NOS Ford bearings and a NOS set of spider gears, etc.. I achieved a pretty good contact pattern with the gears and did not have to shim the pinion as some have done. Also the preload on the pinion and the assembled ring/pinion was where I wanted it to be.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #4
barnfind08

Just need to use USA original bearings is what I have been thinking all along. Maybe because that’s all I use or sell. Can’t speak for the reproduction ring and pinions because I have never bought any.
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:16 PM   #5
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I just installed a set in my 32 last summer - did not need to do what you did, but I did need to clearance the bell on the ring gear side - such that the ring gear didn't touch and grind on it. I used all NOS Ford bearings and a NOS set of spider gears, etc.. I achieved a pretty good contact pattern with the gears and did not have to shim the pinion as some have done. Also the preload on the pinion and the assembled ring/pinion was where I wanted it to be.
The reason I shim the carrier bearing is too not have to grind on the axle housing. The first one I ground the housing.

I have tried NOS, NEW Timken, NEW SKE, and Lastly NEW off brand bearings and the result is the same with each.

Naturally I'd use genuine Ford 3.54 gears but they are far few in existance.
On the reproduction gears I shim the pinion .010" but, they would be just fine without shimming the pinion, but the carrier is a MUST, unless as mentioned you grind the housing.

If you do not shim them the ring gear WILL rub the housing; unless of course you grind the snot out of the housing.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:24 PM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Where are the gear sets made if you don't mind me asking. I have an older set of Italian made gears for the later 6-spline banjos that had dimensional problems but it's a different type of problem. They must have something off on their final width dimension if they are all like that. 60 thousandths total is dam near 1/16". I wonder about the replacement side bearings & cups too on their dimensions. Can you tell where the problem might be?
I was told previously that all of these repro ring and pinion gear sets, being sold by our well known parts dealer's here in the USA, are all coming from the same source in Italy. Maybe this situation has now changed.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:02 AM   #7
35fordtn

Yes, they still come from italy
Old 03-18-2020, 08:02 AM   #8
deuce5wndw

Is there enough meat on the ring gear to check in a lathe and grind the required clearance?
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:10 AM   #9
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce5wndw View Post
Is there enough meat on the ring gear to check in a lathe and grind the required clearance?
Yes, there is. But, for me it's been easiest to just shim the carrier.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:22 AM   #10
rotorwrench

I had to surface grind the widest tips of each of the pinion teeth on the set I have. They wouldn't fit through the bore of the banjo center section. They are a well made gear set but they aren't 3.54:1 due to the tooth count being different than the original 3.54:1 sets. They are 3.56:1 if I remember correctly. I know there were more than a few folks that had the same problem when they came out around 15 years ago or so.

Whatever they used for a pattern gear was off or they didn't translate it well on these new sets. I just wonder if they are CNC made or if they still use a hobbing machine and machine out the blanks.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote