Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
jhowes

Default Drive shaft bearing

I am trying to remove the thrust washer, bearing, bearing sleeve, and seal from the torque tube of my drive shaft. ( That's part numbers A-17290, A-4645, A4655, and A-4245 from Snyders) I have the snap ring and the speedo gear out but I see no way of getting behind the Thrust washer etc . to remove them . They do not want to just "slide out" so what is the procedure that you have found that works? Thanks in advance. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Drive shaft bearing

Very hard with the drive shaft in place. You can't even get a "hook tool" in there when the bearing cage blocks your access. You may have to undo the radius rods, and the bolts connecting the pumpkin to the torque tube and remove the entire torque tube to the bench.

Once on the bench/vise, IIRC the sleeve is removed by use of a 1" pipe. You "bump" the inner edge of the sleeve and walk it out.

Joe K
Old 03-29-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
Tom Endy

The bearing and thrust washer should slide out. Turn the torque tube upside down with the bell end down and thump it against the floor on some newspapers and they should come out.

The bearing sleeve and the seal have to be driven out. Obtain a 1& 1/16" six point socket. It will slide over the spline end of the drive shaft. Place the drive shaft in a vertical position spline end up with the socket on it. Slide the torque tube over it and bounce it several times. Best to hold a rag over the end to capture the sleeve and seal as they come out.

Installing the new seal and sleeve is another story. You will need an insert tool to drive the seal in and some knowledge to get the sleeve in properly. Be sure to install the seal first.

Go to the web site of the Santa Anita A's of Arcadia, California at www.santaanitaas.org On the home page click on my name and it will pull up a library of technical articles. Scroll to the differential section. There are a series of pictorial articles showing differential overhaul. The one dated 2014 is a tutorial and will show you how dealing with the seal and sleeve is done.

Good luck with your project.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
jhowes

Thank you Tom. I have your tutorial but I didn't see how to remove the bearing and sleeve if they are stuck. By the way, what does IIRC mean? Jack
Old 03-29-2019, 03:49 PM   #5
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
By the way, what does IIRC mean? Jack
Text speak.

IIRC = If I recall correctly.

BTW = By the way

More at https://www.smart-words.org/abbreviations/text.html

Joe K
Old 03-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #6
Joe K

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
The bearing sleeve and the seal have to be driven out. Obtain a 1& 1/16" six point socket. It will slide over the spline end of the drive shaft. Place the drive shaft in a vertical position spline end up with the socket on it. Slide the torque tube over it and bounce it several times. Best to hold a rag over the end to capture the sleeve and seal as they come out.
Ha, ha. I like your socket idea.

FYI, 1" black iron pipe is 1.315 OD - about the same OD as a 1-1/16" socket. But doesn't have the ability to use the driveshaft as the push.

I have to say pipe comes and goes around this shop. But Model A driveshafts and socket stay and stay and stay.

Best,
Joe K
Old 03-29-2019, 06:28 PM   #7
redmodelt

When you drive the seal out the sleeve will come with it. You can not do this with the tube installed on the rear end, it has to be off.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
jhowes

Thanks for all of the help. If I had read the next page in the Tom Endy tutorial I would not have had to ask these questions. IAR (means I Am Retarded). Jack