Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-14-2016, 12:20 PM   #41
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Vinegar flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
In case one does not know it, vinegar can be bought in different strengths or the adidity strength can be increased by mixing it with a lower strength vinegar added into a higher strength vinegar. Regular white distilled vinegar is usually 5% acid, Heinz Cleaning vinegar is 6% acid, apple cider vinegar is maybe 8% acid and pickling vinegar is 10% acid. There are methods as mentioned to increase the acidity both on YouTube and on the net.

I have seen posts on Ahooga over the years in which the person claims that using apple cider vinegar on a carb restoration allowed them to sit the part up on a shelf for years with no residual rust. I can't swear that such works like that as I have not tried it myself.
I can give my experience on this: had about a 2 gallon bucket filld with apple cider vinegar. I threw some cast iron AA rear spring to axle clamshells in along with some regular steel grass clippers.

after a week i pulled them out and both were clean metal no rust, about the time i rinsed the vinegar off the clippers i could watch it lightly rust. The clamshells though I pulled them all out, ashed them all off and picked the best two. Let them dry in the sun - no rust. Painted the best two and put the rest on the shelf in the garage - they are just now starting to rust again in spots and its been at least 1-2 years.

I think it all depends on the metal and cast must do something that steel doesnt....
Old 10-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #42
coupe1942

It is likely so, as different metals do react differently in many cases, for sure.

My most notable experience of such was in dipping an air maze cleaner body for a Model A Ford into a vat of muriatic acid once. I had forgotten that acid and aluminum do not mix well and the part I dipped was so very coated with grime that I didn't think about it being aluminum at the time. Needless to say, that large body was "gone in 60 seconds" to coin a phrase. The pot was boiling like a witch's pot foaming over in no time, too. :-(
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-14-2016, 06:49 PM   #43
Michael M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
good preventive maintenance is to drain down the cooling system and refill with new 50/50 or mix full strength.
Vinegar is an acid that can do damage as well as loosen stuck crud from the inners of the engine block. Your radiator can act like a big filter catching all this stuff and block it up.
If it isn't broke don't look for trouble, just drain and fill...

I use evaporust only when absolutely necessary to cure a problem using certain flushing techniques...
Mitch knows whereof he speaks! I wish I had his advice before I decided to be 'proactive' and do the vinegar treatment on my well-functioning radiator. Had so many overheating problems afterwards that I had to pull the radiator and have it boiled out. And I'm still catching debris in the stocking filter I put in the upper hose.

This ounce of prevention caused me a pound of ills!
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote