Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #21
johnneilson

Default Re: Winfield Gurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey John,
Hmm, not familiar with Model N...side draft ?
Anyway, I'll make a couple calls to see what I can find for you.
That Winfield sure was a brilliant guy ! I love the way he made his carb parts, as Jim says...to mix and match. A guy has to be really sharp and study up on his carb parts , to see what you have sometimes, as the parts could be matched to what you had for an engine.
Rick,

I have been told the "N" can be used in any of 4 positions depending on the assembly of bowl and body. I am skeptical of this. It is not true for the others.
I do have some castings that were made to replicate this carb but no drawings or samples, so I am looking for a usable unit.
I have seen a few "M" models but are completely different.

John
johnneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #22
Jim Brierley

hardtimes, ed made an EE but it never went into production. i know very little about them axcept they are a 2-barrel, the story is they were meant to compete with the stromberg 97 but were declined by Ford because of the cost.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #23
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
hardtimes, ed made an EE but it never went into production. i know very little about them axcept they are a 2-barrel, the story is they were meant to compete with the stromberg 97 but were declined by Ford because of the cost.
Hey Jim,
Thanks for that 'inside' info, as I've never seen in writings. A while ago, I saw three HUGE Winfields that were rebuilt and slated to go on a Stutz bearcat engine. These carbs were D, if memory serves (memory clutch slips, eh ). They were downdraft setups and I remember saying to rebuilder that that must be a very big engine and big intake manifold.
This guy also had a dusenberg engine with three downdraft Bs on a beautiful intake manifold setup on the engine !
IMO, YOU were in the right era and fortunate to have had such a ingenious guy as a friend to learn from !!
So, when is the bangers/me and Winfield book due

BTW..speaking of Winfields offering which was to compete with Stromberg 97. The 97 Stromberg flowed enough to service +/- 150 cubes, approx..
MY question is, is there a CHART or any written information on what the various sized Winfield carbs flowed
I ask, because I'm going to try two Winfield Bs on a warmed up +/- 220" B...and am wondering if in the carb to cu in ballpark. Any help ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #24
gwhite

My understanding, and perhaps Jim will correct me, is that the S/SR-B flowed approximately the same as a Stromberg 81 - about 125 CFM - if not a little more...probably more than enough for a streetable A/B motor with moderate compression and a mild cam. With dual B's you should have no problem whatsoever - perhaps, even a little over carbed.

I think your #'s are off as far as the capability of a single carb like the 97 (or a Winfield B or BB) on a low compression, limited RPM motor like the A/B. Lakes records/photos in the late 30's and early 40's bear this out.

Last edited by gwhite; 11-23-2014 at 04:16 PM.
gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:03 PM   #25
earbleeder

Is someone out there making replacement/rebuild parts for Winfield's? Linkages, adjusting screws, etc. stuff like that?
earbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:36 PM   #26
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by earbleeder View Post
Is someone out there making replacement/rebuild parts for Winfield's? Linkages, adjusting screws, etc. stuff like that?
Hey earbleeder,
Hm, In my experience so far, think that you/I have to 'scrounge' and scavenge from incomplete carbs found. Keep your computer set to monitor the Winfield carb site ...as probably best bet for such.
That said, I have seen guys with 'stashed' Winfield stuff, so as to make drool, if you're into that equipment.

BTW I've NEVER seen a dual Winfield intake, marked with his name, for his two carb useage....anyone ??
Old 01-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #27
62pan

I believe gaskets are the only thing being reproduced. As far as intakes, duals are almost impossible to find. Never seen a dual with Winfields name. George Wight made a dual, Alexander, and I seen a few no name duals in photos. I have a copy of a Riley two port set up for duals but not sure if Riley designed this or someone else. As far as parts try to buy incomplete ones in the size you need.
62pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:35 PM   #28
earbleeder

That's what I kind of figured but wasn't sure if there was a particular reason for someone not making replacement parts. Patents, etc..I'm just learning about these carbs. I have a couple and need some mixture adjusting screws and linkage stuff that is missing. What website are you talking about? I can't find one anywhere. Which sites are good to keep an eye on?
Steve
earbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:04 AM   #29
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by earbleeder View Post
That's what I kind of figured but wasn't sure if there was a particular reason for someone not making replacement parts. Patents, etc..I'm just learning about these carbs. I have a couple and need some mixture adjusting screws and linkage stuff that is missing. What website are you talking about? I can't find one anywhere. Which sites are good to keep an eye on?
Steve
Sorry about my misuse of 'computer' terms. I really am not into this new fangled dudad generation and it doesn't seem to hinder me....except when trying to help/explain to others...like you, eh

Go to ebay and type into search areas(?) ....Winfield carburetor. This will bring up anything listed under Winfield carbs/parts/adaptors, etc. Works for me. Someone else here maybe can give you more technical definition of how it is done.
Anyway, PM me if you seriously are in need, and I'll try to get back with you with help. Under the weather right now , so have patience.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:18 AM   #30
62pan

I use Ebay, study the Winfield stuff listed and watch for mixmatched or busted items it you need parts. There is an article in SOSS a few years back where Winfield carbs were featured and a parts page listed. Lets you know what is interchangeable.
62pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #31
nosdan

Anyone know what the Winfield S-AA might flow (CFM)?

Thanks
nosdan is offline   Reply With Quote