Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Aok

Default Bell/Clutch housing to engine Gasket ?

Is there a gasket between the bell housing and the fly wheel housing ? I think no but I am getting ready to put engine in, after I win the battle with the clutch hub spring, and do not want to miss anything.
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
Drive Shaft Dave

Default Re: Bell/Clutch housing to engine Gasket ?

No Gasket.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
glenn in camino

There is a gasket between the back of the engine and the flywheel housing to keep oil from leaking from the back of the cam. No gasket between the flywheel housing and the bell housing.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
There is a gasket between the back of the engine and the flywheel housing to keep oil from leaking from the back of the cam. No gasket between the flywheel housing and the bell housing.

The gasket between the clutch housing and the back of the engine block should be carefully selected. Suppliers offer them in various thicknesses with no thought to the fact they should match up with the two .010 metal shims that fit in front of the two ears on the clutch housing where the throttle linkage bolts up.

The last drive train I put together I made my own gasket from gasket material I bought from an auto parts store. I took along my micrometer and measured. I bought material that was about .014 thick. My thinking is the gasket will crush down to about .010 when all is installed. The ear shims and the gasket play an important part in determining proper alingment of the top 180 degrees of the clutch housing, which should be with in .006 according to most documentation.

This will properly align the transmission with the clutch. Quite often the shims are left out or the gasket is too thin and this causes misalignment, jumping out of gear, and premature clutch failure. It is always best to check the alignment with a dial indicator. The bottom 180 degrees of the clutch housing is not a concern as it is very flexable, you can actually move it with your hand when bolted up. When the bell housing is installed it pulls the lower 180 into alignment.

When making the dial indicator check use some short bolts in place of the ones used with the throttle linkage to provide the same torque as the four bolts holding the lower portion of the clutch housing to the back of the engine.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Aok

Thanks I did not see a reason for a gasket at the bell housing and flywheel housing but as I was not 100% sure better to ask then take it apart again.
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote