Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Re: 1934 Ford universal joint repeated failure

Exactly what happens to the u joint? When you remove it does it show it was getting hot? Does it just come apart or break into pieces? Are the bearings disassembled and inspected? These joints are pretty tough and can take a lot of abuse along with a lot of miles but they can't run without proper lubrication. I've been messing with flatheads for 60+ years and I've seen u-joints getloose from many miles of wear and vibrating from being so worn out but I've never seen one break. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Old 03-30-2005, 04:17 PM   #2

Default 1934 Ford universal joint repeated failure

I have a professionally restored 1934 Ford Cabriolet. I have had a great deal of difficulty keeping u-joints in this vehicle despite driving less than 600 miles total. I have bought two used inspected/checked u-joints from Little Dearborn to replace whatever was put in the car at time of restoration. Both hjave lasted less than 200 miles. There is no play in the driveshaft. The transmission was overhauled by a qualified restoration shop. What the heck else could be going on. I simply don't trust this otherwise exceptional vehicle. Thanks. Ron Pilger, Alberta, Canada

Old 03-30-2005, 04:43 PM   #3

Default Re: 1934 Ford universal joint repeated failure

NOS u-joints are not that hard to find. I see them all the time at most major swap meets. Please don't trust used u-joints. Maybe someone will contact you with a NOS piece, if they do, buy it.