Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
H. L. Chauvin

Default Gas Tank Measuring Stick

1. On 12/12/2010 @ 10:56 a.m.. Mr. Glenn C. posted this information on this Forum concerning making a measuring stick for measuring the amount of fuel in a Model A gas tank in response to such a request for someone whose gas tank gauge was not yet restored:

"The measurements on the stick were different from bottom to top, to compensate for the tank profile.

These measurements are from a couple of original sticks that I own.

From the bottom end.....1-1/2" (1), 1" (2), 7/8" (3), 13/16" (4), (5), (6), 7/8" (7), 13/16" (8), 1 1/16" (9), 1-1/2" (10)

The bold lettering is the gallons. Hope this helps with your problem for now."

2. In using these measurements, measuring from the bottom of the stick at (O) gallons, the height for each added gallon of gas appears to be as follows:

(1) gallon @ 1-1/2" from the bottom of the stick; (2) gallons @ 2-1/2"; (3) @3-3/8"; (4) @ 4-3/16"; (5) @ 5"; (6) @ 5-13/16"; (7) @ 6-11/16"; (8) @ 7-1/2"; (9) @ 8-9/16"; & (10) gallons @ 10-1/16" from the bottom of the stick ..... then make the stick about 12" long so the stick cannot fall in the tank.

3. Questions:

a) Would these dimensions vary for example if measuring a 1928-1929 gas tank from that of a 1930-1931 gas tank?

b) If so, would anyone have these measurements handy?
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
Bob Johnson

Default Re: Gas Tank Measuring Stick

Here is a post from 2009. Different numbers.

Yesterday I promised I'd take some measurements and make a "Gas Stick" when I repaired my '29 Briggs Leatherback gas gauge. But, I lost the dowel I had marked when it rolled off the top of my car on the way home. Well..long story short, I found it this morning in the gutter behind the gas station. So, when I got home, I measured the marks using a metal yard stick. Here's what I measured.....

1/4 tank - 2 7/16", or 2/5 gallons
1/2 tank - 4 3/16", or 5 gallons
3/4 tank - 5 5/8", or 7.5 gallons
Full - 7 1/4", or 10.0 gallons

To arrive at the most accurate fuel level possible, I put 2.5 gallons of gas I had just drained out of the tank back into the tank after repairing the gas gauge with a neoprene float. I stuck the stick as straight down the exact center of the fuel filler neck as I could, having removed the gas tank screen. After I marked the 1/4 level on the stick, I added the remainder of the 5 gallon gas can I had filled when I drained the tank, and sticked the tank again. To arrive at the 3/4 and full marks, I filled the tank with exactly 2.5 gallons more two times at the service station - less than 2/10th of a mile from the house - sticking the tank between both fillings. I'm satisfied the stick is calibrated about as close as one can get it using general shop tools and practices. It is exact? Well, probably not, but it's close enough for government work.

Hope this helps someone... If anyone wants me to post a picture, I will...just let me know. Remember, this is on a '29 Briggs, which has a 10 gallon tank.
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Napa Skip

Reply #19 to the "Can I make my gas gage more accurate?" thread, which I posted on 4/28/12, contains measurements - as well as photos - for a gas gage stick I made in about 1979 and have used periodically thereafter. Inasmuch as I have a 1930 Model A, this means the measurements are for an 11-gallon tank. I have never had the opportunity to take measurements on a 10-gallon tank.

Here - sans the photos, which are still available on the 4/28/12 post - is the gist of that reply:

"Attached to [the original] reply are three photos showing (a) the [highly] calibrated gas gauge “stick” I made up when the gas gauge was not working on my 1930 Deluxe Coupe (so that means it’s set up for an 11-gallon tank) and (b) an inexpensive gas tank filler adapter (as in $1.89 + tax at OSH) consisting of a 1-1/2” PVC male adaptor. You may have to file about 1/32” off the crown of the threads but that should only take a minute. Thereafter, you have a ready-made device that will allow the gas pump vapor recovery system to continue to function while you completely fill your gas tank. This device presumes you do not have the flash arrester installed in your gas tank (as I suspect many of us don’t).

Back on to the calibrated gas gauge “stick”; it is made from a ¼” dowel rod and measures 11-5/8” from end to inexpensive-wood-drawer-knob. The measurements – if you are inclined to make one for your self – are 1 gal = 1-11/16”; 2 gal = 2-5/8”; 3 gal = 3-7/16”; 4 gal = 4-1/6”; 5 gal = 4-11/16”; 6 gal = 5-1/4”; 7 gal = 5-7/8”; 8 gal = 6-1/2”; 9 gal = 7-1/16”; 10 gal = 7-3/4”; and 11 gal = 8-5/8.” After filing a shallow grove at these levels and labeling every other grove with a wood burner, I shellacked the stick. It’s served for 34 years and I just toss it on the package tray behind the seat when not in use. Not exactly high-tech but then…"
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Many sincere thanks to you both, Mr. Bob Johnson & Mr. Napa Skip for taking time to indicate these important measurements differences for both types of Model A tanks.

A fuel measuring stick is far more accurate than a Model A gas gauge when one is in a bind with low fuel & forgot to gas-up.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote