Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2020, 07:40 PM   #1
steve hackel

Default BEWARE - another scammer out there

Be advised that if a person named francisluke012 contacts you regarding some part you are looking for, then instructs you to contact someone else regarding the part or parts you need
[email protected] .

Francisluke012 just became a member 5 days ago, and the other person is not a member at all - no posts, no history, and the story went like this.....

I advertised for a gas tank, francis responded with a wonderful message telling me that his friend had several in his garage, and to contact him through his email address - he supposedly lived in Texas. Contacted him

and he had pictures of a junk tank for $250, so I passed. A day later he sent pictures of a beautiful tank - blasted, dipped and sealed, primered on the outside and asking $350 - There was no real communication, as he kept insisting that I use some sort of pay service or a Postal Money order, no checks, no pay pal, and no I can't have someone stop by and pick it up because people in his home had the virus and he does not want to infect anyone else. HE then dropped the price to $300 and offered to pay the shipping charges, all I had to do was secure the tank with a $150 deposit and he would send it out afterwards. I need a tank, but not that bad!

Watch out for this one - VERY SLICK.....
I am currently trying to search the internet for the original pictures sent of the tank(s) he is trying to sell, and obviously the pictures will end up belonging to someone else. Be safe out there ! Regards, Steve
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: BEWARE - another scammer out there

Yes, always remember that if it seems too good to be true, ...it probably is.

On a side-note, I have called you several times on the number you sent and evidently it is a landline and cannot receive texts.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:23 PM   #3
Mister Moose

That's a lot of effort and creativity for $150. Not even a Nigerian Prince involved?
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:23 PM   #4
steve hackel

I apologize for that Brent - PM sent. Thanks, Steve
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #5
Licensed to kill

On another forum for old mack trucks, a guy posted looking g for a "B-42" emblem and a short hood spear. I respond with "I have both, PM me an address and i will send them to you". That was weeks ago and was from a new member and was their first (and only) post. Never heard back. Since I was not asking for anything for them, not even the shipping, I don't see how the guy would think I;m scamming him and since he is asking for parts i don't see how he could be scamming me but I admit that I am VERY naive when it comes to this sort of thing as I tend to take people at their word. Could there be some sort os scam or could the guy looking think he is getting scammed some how??. Just seems odd.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:40 PM   #6
CWPASADENA

Last week there was a message on my phone from the IRS. They were informing me that my Social Security Number had been deactivated because they had detected some illegal activity with it. All I had to do is call this number and they would get my current information from me and re-instate it.

Of course, I could not wait to call them and give them all my personal information. I certainly did not want my S/S Number to be inactive.

The guy spoke with a very slow low monotone as if he was being sure he was reading the "script" correctly.

We all must be careful, they will try anything.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:55 PM   #7
Oldbluoval

I’m a retired cpa
The irs and social security NEVER initially call, email or text
USPS if first communication
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #8
McMimmcs

It is not a wise idea to call back and play games. Let it go and ignore them. This is the best strategy!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:31 AM   #9
john charlton

A nice Indian lady just called me to advise me that my "nuisance call" blocker had expired and for a small fee (my bank account) she could reinstate it . I told her please DO NOT reinstate the call blocker and that I was very very old and lived alone and the only calls I ever got were "nuisance calls " . I told her that calls from people like her brightend my day .She hung up .

John in cold sunny morning Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #10
reggiedog

HI; I would call Bert's as they have the largest junkyard of Model A parts that I know of there phone number is 1-800-321-1931 ask for Steve I'm sure he has what you need as he has the parts that I need for my car all the time.

And I'm sure they have 1000's of gas tanks out there for all kinds of Cars and Trucks so just give them a shot as they might just have what you want and they guarantee there stuff also.

Reggiedog
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #11
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
a nice indian lady just called me to advise me that my "nuisance call" blocker had expired and for a small fee (my bank account) she could reinstate it . I told her please do not reinstate the call blocker and that i was very very old and lived alone and the only calls i ever got were "nuisance calls " . I told her that calls from people like her brightend my day .she hung up .

John in cold sunny morning suffolk county england .

:d:d:d
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:37 PM   #12
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
Last week there was a message on my phone from the IRS. They were informing me that my Social Security Number had been deactivated because they had detected some illegal activity with it. All I had to do is call this number and they would get my current information from me and re-instate it.

Of course, I could not wait to call them and give them all my personal information. I certainly did not want my S/S Number to be inactive.

The guy spoke with a very slow low monotone as if he was being sure he was reading the "script" correctly.

We all must be careful, they will try anything.

Chris W.
Any government agency will never ever call you first. Not the IRS, not the Immigration Department, not the DMV, not Unemployment, not anyone. Its always communication by letters, if they do call they send a letter stating what day and time +-10 minutes to expect a call and what the call will be about.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #13
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
:d:d:d
For some of us not so well informed, what does d:d:d: mean ?
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:50 PM   #14
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
On another forum for old mack trucks, a guy posted looking g for a "B-42" emblem and a short hood spear. I respond with "I have both, PM me an address and i will send them to you". That was weeks ago and was from a new member and was their first (and only) post. Never heard back. Since I was not asking for anything for them, not even the shipping, I don't see how the guy would think I;m scamming him and since he is asking for parts i don't see how he could be scamming me but I admit that I am VERY naive when it comes to this sort of thing as I tend to take people at their word. Could there be some sort os scam or could the guy looking think he is getting scammed some how??. Just seems odd.
That is odd. If the goal was to scam you for your parts and not pay you thats how this scam usually works. Usually has a fake check, fake money order, etc. Then they can sell your legit parts for money when they get them. But if they are getting the parts free just to sell for profit - you need the parts to begin with haha.

Even if they wanted to scam people for money as in say they are selling these parts, take someones money, then disappear - having the parts to begin with doesnt matter.

I think this person signed up to several sites looking for parts - you responded, and they forgot what sites they signed up for or cant find thier post again... Does the person have an email listed? or the site have a PM system? Not everyone is tech savvy. I dont think this is a scam - if it is its alot of effort haha. Even if it is your giving the parts away anyways so your not out anything (maybe your address but thats not hard to get anyways).
Old 12-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #15
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
For some of us not so well informed, what does d:d:d: mean ?
i think its 3 smiley faces with a tongue. Like "tongue in cheek" grin. Just its backwards haha

:P :P