Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
Juergen

Default Driveshaft removal from Ryan Overdrive torque tube

How is the drive shaft retained in the Ryan Overdrive torque tube? I loosened the snap ring at the front and cannot get the spline coupling removed in the back (I have read that the coupler is held on to the shaft with sealer by the factory). The shaft only moves fore and aft about 1/2 inch. Anyone experienced with this old overdrive set up? This is the V-8 unit but I would think the Model A unit would be made the same.
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
Mart

Default Re: Driveshaft removal from Ryan Overdrive torque tube

No doubt you've seen this:
https://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-cont...Overdrives.pdf

I'd never heard of the unit, I found the information interesting.

I don't know if it will answer your question though. I wonder if the writer of the article might be contactable??

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
rotorwrench

The unit is a lot like a Brown & Lipe or "Browney Box" overdrive. The straight cut gears would sound like an old quick change unit.

If a person could soak the sealant in MEK or acetone (depending on the type of sealant), it would likely soften it enough for it to let go but it still might take some prying or pulling pressure to get it off. If it is silicon sealer then plain solvent or mineral spirits would soften that better. Heat might do it too but a person shouldn't go over 250 degrees F if heat is used.

In the photo, it looks like silicon sealer. I don't see any signs of another bearing at the rear of the drive shaft. The front bearing should be a floater but they may have a slinger or a grease seal inside there that is holding the shaft. If there is another bearing in there then that might be holding the shaft too. It would take a special puller to pull that spline adapter off the shaft but I've seen a few pullers like that before for special applications.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-26-2018 at 01:58 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:05 PM   #4
RobR'35

Another premium write up from Tom Endy.
I used his write up on rebuilding the model A rear axle when I rebuilt the rear axle on my '35.
Very informative.
Thanks for posting this interesting artical!
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
Juergen

Thanks for the hints.

Tom Endy answered my request but he never took the driveshaft apart.

So, I will try soaking. I can set the driveshaft straight up into a 3 inch can and fill it with acetone and then try mineral spirits.
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #6
rotorwrench

I used to have to remove large quantities of GE RTV-102 silicone that had been used as an adhesive. I found that a naphtha based solvent or a wax & grease remover solvent for paint prep worked the best. It turns the silicone sealer to the consistency of hard gelatin. It's still hard to remove but it was the only thing that came close.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:07 PM   #7
supereal

I have a Ryan unit in my '47 convertible, installed about ten years ago. It is a 3 to 1 reduction when engaged, and does sound like an old Ford truck in operation. With the wind noise in an open car, it isn't a problem. They were made in Colorado. The only trouble I has was with the torque tube center support which is a bronze bushing. For a while I carried a grease gun with me until the bushing loosened enough. I can look up the manual somewhere. I like this unit as it mounts directly on the "banjo", rather in the middle of the tube.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote