Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2016, 01:03 PM   #1
DougVieyra

Default Model T verses Model A - why own a Model T ? ? ?

What prompted this query, was this morning's visit to my 'Christian Science Reading Room" - AKA "Out House". At my modern day out-house, instead of the old Sears, Roebuck / Montgomery Wards catalogs - I now have my BERT'S, BRATTON'S, SNYDER'S catalogs. There, while perusing the SNYDER's catalog I thought I would see what the Model T section had for today's Model T owner/restorer.

I know that quite a few of this Forum's Model A owners also own and drive the earlier Ford Model T. I myself was for several years the proud owner and driver of a 1914 Model T. But that was years ago (no, I did NOT buy it new!).

For today's owners/drivers of the Ford Model T - can you tell the 'A' Forum members what and why you have a Model T, and what there is about it that you especially enjoy, over the Model A.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Model T verses Model A - why own a Model T ? ? ?

Many called them a "T-TOM"--Their sound is UNMISTAKEABLE ! !
Bill W.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

As I said before, anybody can fix a Model A but it takes a real mechanic to fix a Model T. My 1924 one door Roadster ( Doctors convertible ) gets way more attention on the road and st shiws than my six Model A's. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 12-19-2016 at 05:53 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #4
Great Lakes Greg

We have just started touring with Model T groups, and it is absolutely fantastic. The speeds are slower (30-35) and for some reason, the general membership is a younger crowd. It takes some skill to initially drive the car, but it has become second nature to me now, and it is no more challenging than driving an "A". Model T's are inexpensive. A good Touring body style can be had for less than 10K, and sedans trade a little lower than that. Like your Model A, the Model T is a simple car to wrench on. Aside from getting run over by modern traffic, I can think of no drawbacks to adding one to your stable.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
Jeff/Illinois

Model T's are neat: I don't have one never did probably never will but I still like them. Rode in one at Greenfield Village last fall and thought it was a blast!

And yes, Brent has commented about how the Model T's are drawing younger fans. I think that's great.

One nice thing about T's AND A's is that they really don't take up much room in the garage. Not like the '67 Ford Galaxie I used to have
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:54 PM   #6
ronn

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
And yes, Brent has commented about how the Model T's are drawing younger fans. I think that's great.

entry level is easier with a T- if you stay away from the earlier cars. Model T's can be more affordable.
I have a model R, and the primitiveness of the car, is what attracts me to it, even though I have a few model A's.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #7
Greg Jones

I inherited mine from my father, who got it from his father. Having said that, Model T's are definitely a different beast than a Model A. Much, much slower and quite frankly, a bit of a danger to drive in the city. I drive mine out on country roads, 30-40 mph. The Model T is basic transportation, particularly the black era T's. Brass T's are cool but expensive. I think the attraction is the age and primitive nature of the beast.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:29 PM   #8
Aok

I owned a Model T about 15 years back. They are a little more primitive then the A's but a fun car to drive. The only complaint I had with them is they do travel a little too slow for modern traffic and I like to drive my cars.

Here is the car it is a 1926

Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:41 PM   #9
mhsprecher

When I was a teen, I was very interested in a Model T. I then switched to Model As. I had little recent interest in one, even though a Model A buddy tried to convince me to buy one. Then I came across one in a lady's garage that had been sitting since 1964 that I am trying to buy. 50/50 chance of that, I think, but, regardless, I may end up with a T some time. I have never driven one, but I have really gotten a hankering for one again.

T's are cool, the Model A's predecessor, the car that put American on wheels and if you are a Ford buff, an almost must have.

Last edited by mhsprecher; 12-19-2016 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Write more.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #10
iverson

We have a 1916 touring thats been in our family since 1941 and stored since ww2 that I just got running a year ago. the big drawback is modern traffic, with its slower speeds,not much brakes or lights. but its sure fun to drive! and the best part is the crank start! the A is a lot more practical its a big jump in modern technology!
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:02 PM   #11
captndan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
What prompted this query, was this morning's visit to my 'Christian Science Reading Room" - AKA "Out House". At my modern day out-house, instead of the old Sears, Roebuck / Montgomery Wards catalogs - I now have my BERT'S, BRATTON'S, SNYDER'S catalogs. There, while perusing the SNYDER's catalog I thought I would see what the Model T section had for today's Model T owner/restorer.

I know that quite a few of this Forum's Model A owners also own and drive the earlier Ford Model T. I myself was for several years the proud owner and driver of a 1914 Model T. But that was years ago (no, I did NOT buy it new!).

For today's owners/drivers of the Ford Model T - can you tell the 'A' Forum members what and why you have a Model T, and what there is about it that you especially enjoy, over the Model A.
I ask myself that question a few days ago. I have two model A's and really enjoy them. Then I saw this really nice T on flea-bay and I bid in it. I stayed up until the last ten minutes of bidding and I could have won it. Then thinking I really like my A's and don't drive them enough. No regrets.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:31 PM   #12
H. L. Chauvin

As far as a hobby item:

a. It appears similar to old guns and having an old breech loader that one can load with shotgun shells, or a little older, where one provides powder and shot through the muzzle; and/or,

b. Similar also to owning an early Model T, and/or going a little further back with owning something like an enclosed "Cozy Cab" with a windshield and sliding doors which is horse drawn.

c. Old guns, old buggies, and old cars were all extremely well designed by very sensitive artist.

c. If one tries to design and actually draw a vintage antique, buggy, car and/or gun & compare it to that which was manufactured years ago, one can begin to appreciate "all" of yesteryear's art work.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #13
Art Newland

If I had a place to store one, I'd have own a Model T. It's fun learning to old technology. Getting 6'2" 250 lbs squeezed into one is another challenge.
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:37 PM   #14
vern hodgson

Had a 27 doctors coupe, liked it just because it looked mechanically basic. Pedals were to close together, no place to store it, to many irons in the fire. Did not want to go thru the learning curve. But I think t's are neat.
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:35 AM   #15
Dodge

I grew up with Model T's and Model A's both are wonderful cars and each has its own personality. My Mother drove a Model A four door sedan as her daily car as her daily car when we were growing up in the 1950's. My Father had a 1915 Model T touring and a 1915 Model T Center Door sedan that we went on Horsless Carriage Club tours with. When it was time to get my first car it was a 1929 Tudor sedan.
I still have the Tudor Sedan and the Two Model T's plus a Model T Speedster.
I am in the Model T Club and The Model A Club and switch off driving the cars depending
on the mood.
Everyone should have a T in their collection.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:52 AM   #16
RUNNERBUN

I own both a model T 27 Roadster and my 28 Model A. They are chalk a cheese to drive but I love them both. The T is great for local driving and we are lucky that traffic is not a problem here where I live. The Model A is of course much more suited for long distance driving of which I have done a great deal.
As others have mentioned the Model T does attract a younger demographic today and those of the older generation get very excited whenever they see the Model T and the first question they always ask is "Is she still running on those Buzzer Coils." There is a special feeling when you turn on the ignition key and the engine starts right up without hitting the starter button, and that to me is the most special part of owning a Model T.
Most people are also facinated by the two speed Planetary Transmission, and how you can rock the car forward and reverse by simply pressing one pedal or the other.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #17
ronn

They are chalk a cheese to drive?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #18
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Chuckie Cheese?
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #19
mshmodela

WHY NOT! Love to own a T roadster.. Just need a bigger boat I mean garage...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:27 PM   #20
Art Newland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
completely different
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote