Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2021, 11:02 AM   #1
37 truck

Default Initial start on new engine

What would you guys recommend on a new engine startup? No water and a short run to warm, then cool and retorque heads, or with water, or with an antifreeze? Would you recommend any block sealer added at startup, and if so what kind? This engine was completely gone through, but sat as the body work was done, would you recommend fogging cylinders etc before cranking? Ok, let me have it.
37 truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:09 AM   #2
51504bat

Default Re: Initial start on new engine

Prime the oil system before starting. Many methods. Years ago when starting a new build 289 I borrowed a pre oiler that the machinist who built the engine made from an old pressure brake bleader. When I rebuilt my 8ba I made a pre oiler from a paint pressure pot. Others use a simple hand pump garden sprayer for a pre oiler. Others will have different thoughts about a pre starting process. The pre oiler is just how I do it.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:43 AM   #3
Kurt in NJ

Running without coolant is a good way to create cracks
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:45 AM   #4
marko39

I would not warm it up without water in it. Only needs block sealer if it leaks. You can achieve oil pressure by cranking it with the plugs out. If it's 6volt a 12 volt battery will turn it faster. Try getting some oil in the cylinders a few days in advance as you don't want it all over your engine (plugs out)
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:37 PM   #5
tubman

This is why I built an engine test stand. Good radiator (with an external fan), coolant, and full gauges. Also a set of headers with 4' pipes.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:52 PM   #6
Automotive Stud

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko39 View Post
I would not warm it up without water in it. Only needs block sealer if it leaks. You can achieve oil pressure by cranking it with the plugs out. If it's 6volt a 12 volt battery will turn it faster. Try getting some oil in the cylinders a few days in advance as you don't want it all over your engine (plugs out)
Agreed. Also, I'd just put water in it, then change to antifreeze. If you are feeling confident that there won't be any leaks, go ahead and put antifreeze in up front. I've done it both ways.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:40 PM   #7
flatjack9

I would pull the plugs, put some oil in the cylinders and crank the engine a few times. Then continue to crank until you get pressure. Install plugs. Do not put anti-freeze in initially. Use just water. I have started engines both ways, with and without water.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:47 PM   #8
GB SISSON

On my stand originally I had no radiator, but didn't want it to run with no coolant. While it's no substitute for a radiator I connected the two water pump outlets with a piece of bicycle inner tube and put tall standpipes out of the heads. Standpipes were 1 3/4" hose connected to 1 1/2" pvc pipe. Remove belt first. When it starts to steam pretty good, shut down. I have a rad now.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:41 PM   #9
Bluedot

I agree with the other comments. I'd never run dry (no coolant at all( even for a few seconds. I always pre-prime a fresh engine. And a squirt of oil in each plug hole is good insurance - worst that can happen there is a bunch of brief oil smoke when it first lights off.
Bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:57 PM   #10
Charlie ny
BANNED

Hold off with anti freeze until you're sure the engine is sound. Many anti freeze products will dissolve engine bearings if it finds it's way into your oil.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote