Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
37 Coupe

Default Best engine green paint.

Do most use the Bill Hirsch engine paint? It seems a little glossier than some of the engines I have seen pictures of.I know I could degloss a little.I just thought it would be better than the spraycan ones that I never heard of the brands before.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Best engine green paint.

I like and use Snyder's engine green.
I also like Bill's as well, but Snyder's is cheaper, looks good, and sprays well.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #3
redmodelt

But like most all spray cans, buy at least two so they have the same lot number. Even today, spray cans (or for that matter any paint) can differ in color batch to batch. No issues or complaints with the paint from Snyders.
Takes about two cans to do engine and transmission with a little left over for touch up.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
Marshall V. Daut

The only drawback I have noticed with Hirsch engine paints (besides the higher price) is the cure time. Unlike most rattle can Ford Engine Green paint, the Hirsch paints require a TWO WEEK cure time before starting the engine. 'Don't believe me? This comes from Hirsch's website:
IN ALL CASES, AVOID PUTTING ON TOO MUCH PAINT. WAIT AT LEAST 2 WEEKS BEFORE STARTING UP ENGINE. STARTING UP AN ENGINE WHERE PAINT HAS NOT FULLY CURED OR WHERE THERE IS TOO MUCH PAINT APPLIED, MAY CAUSE "WRINKLING" OF THE PAINT.
This longer cure time is o.k if you're painting the engine and parts during a restoration and are in no hurry to put them into immediate service. But if the car needs to be used before the cure time has expired, you might experience some paint peeling or melting problems. Read the Hirsch instructions and follow them to the letter. It's a nice paint that looks great, but if time is a consideration, one of the major vendor's paints might be better for your application.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

IMO, Roy Nacewicz sells the most accurate shade of color are buying factory-pack paint. Otherwise, have your paint jobber scan the color out of the Paint & Refinish Guide.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:29 PM   #6
Ted Duke

IMHO there is NO correct FORD engine green.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:43 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post
IMHO there is NO correct FORD engine green.
Respectfully, just because that is YOUR opinion really does not make it authentically correct for everyone else, does it? During the Model-A production era, Ford manufactured their own engine paint in which there was a M-Spec (-materials specification) generated when it was initially formulated so that all subsequent paint was uniform no matter which batch it was generated from. Just because various reproduction parts vendors have formulated their own shades of green over the years does not necessarily mean their paint is authentically correct. Many unknowing restorers have seen these inaccurate shades of engine green for so long, they erroneously assume they are correct.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-25-2018, 07:52 PM   #8
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Respectfully, just because that is YOUR opinion really does not make it authentically correct for everyone else, does it? During the Model-A production era, Ford manufactured their own engine paint in which there was a M-Spec (-materials specification) generated when it was initially formulated so that all subsequent paint was uniform no matter which batch it was generated from. Just because various reproduction parts vendors have formulated their own shades of green over the years does not necessarily mean their paint is authentically correct. Many unknowing restorers have seen these inaccurate shades of engine green for so long, they erroneously assume they are correct.
And does anyone have the means to produce the correct color using modern materials and procedure? Just asking, and my HO still stands humbly.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:05 AM   #9
Bill G

I bought a can of "Ford Engine Green" from NAPA. It even said that it is 1929 to 1940 era. NOT SO! That paint is bright green. So, the part I painted with it will just be the under coat. I have a can from Bert's on its way. Hopefully that is a more reliable color.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:56 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Duke View Post
And does anyone have the means to produce the correct color using modern materials and procedure? Just asking, and my HO still stands humbly.
Absolutely. One supplier was able to access Ford's basement where many early engines were stored and matched the paint that way. Also, as mentioned above, the shade of green that is considered correct is in the Paint & Refinish Guide. That color can be mixed in Alkyd Enamel if so desired. So much of the restoration process can be done accurately and authentically if people would just make the effort. Too many hobbyists seemingly don't even try.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #11
Jeff/Illinois

Magicbox I think I've seen the green engine paint to which you refer. It stands out quite sharply as 'wrong'. Really takes away from the look of the car.

I got some several years ago from either Snyder's or Bert's or Bratton's I don't recall which supplier now, and it is pretty good, matches what was on the car. I broke an engine outlet casting tab using the 'paper matchbook match' process they all talked about in the 70's one day and 'snap'. I got a new one and painted it with that paint and it matched very well.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:29 PM   #12
TomballMottershaw

So are the Snyder & Brattons engine green spray paint the right color & gloss ? ( or how close )

I would note that paint even stored in a basement for many years changes colors as it ages. So it appears that no one has the proper formula for making ford engine green, one can get close, but unless you have the Ford specification parts list & mixing method it won't be the same.
And Terry, why be so mysterious "One Supplier" ? what supplier ?
and a bit gruff today with the "don't even try" statement.
I'd rather see an engine painted and not rusting, than rusting awaiting the perfect paint.
TomballMottershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:41 PM   #13
redmodelt

I would note that paint even stored in a basement for many years changes colors as it ages.

I started to post the same thing this AM but decided not to. Any thing exposed to oxygen oxidized over time and after this many years would have changed.

Unless you are doing a high dollar points car, many if not most would be happy with a good close in color.

RE People that don't even try; sorry but many don't have really deep pockets to get their cars to the level you are talking about and are very happy to have a nice car to drive for ice cream or go on tours with.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #14
37 Coupe

I agree with what you are saying.I am just trying to get rid of the ugly green paint that was put on my engine years ago but never run much if at all.It looks sorta like a green that was on a '53 F-100 I had once. Some will surely make fun of the other inaccurate "restoration" points of my roadster but it was what was done in the fifties and sixties with a J.C.Whitney catalog. Should also be good enough to go get ice cream in and I will probably be the only one to open the hood.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:38 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Lots of information in this thread. Best to read the whole thing, but for paint pictures, see #34, 44, 45, 47, and a few others. I bought my paint from Little Dearborn in Minneapolis, and they sell Snyder's engine paint.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...+engine&page=3
Old 09-27-2018, 04:58 PM   #16
Jeff/Illinois

Or another idea here. Contact Ora Landis at Schwalm's Engine rebuilding and see what they use. The pictures of their restored engines look pretty darn good to me.

http://www.schwalms.com/
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Or another idea here. Contact Ora Landis at Schwalm's Engine rebuilding and see what they use. The pictures of their restored engines look pretty darn good to me.

http://www.schwalms.com/

So does it make it accurate if any engine rebuilder uses it? The one thing that I find ironic in all the thoughts above is both Model-A clubs have adopted a book that posts a chip of the EXACT color of engine green. It does not show multiple chips with different shades of engine green that potentially are correct. Therefore, the chip in that book is the benchmark for what the correct color should be. If your aerosol spray can color does not match that chip, --and I have not seen a commercially available aerosol can that does, then it is incorrect, no matter which engine rebuilder uses or endorses it.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #18
Benson

When using the paint chip book or looking at car paint besure to compare under the same light conditions.

Sunlight vs fluorescent light will look different.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:21 PM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
When using the paint chip book or looking at car paint besure to compare under the same light conditions.

Sunlight vs fluorescent light will look different.
My LED flashlight also makes a difference in how the color looks.