Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
curtisldean

Default Stipe shocks

Good morning members,
Can anyone tell me if Bill Stipe is manufacturing shocks today or is he retired?
curtisldean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #2
SteveB31

Default Re: Stipe shocks

He is still making shocks, camshafts and several other items. www.specialtymotorcams.com
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:17 PM   #3
Benson

Here is recent post from Bill Stipe:

10-26-2015, 08:09 PM #22 Bill Stipe

Re: Stipe Oil Pump
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909
I have an A engine that I use for touring that I built a couple of years ago. I inserted the bearings and a few other things including pressure feeding the middle main bearing. I made and fitted a pressure relief valve to maintain 25 psi to it. The engine has proved to be EXCELLENT and very reliable. I am now starting to project to build another like it but I find that the Stipe oil pumps like I used in the first engine are not available. I know the instructions with the inserts say that the original oiling system is adequate but I cruise at about 50 mph with a camper trailer behind. The engine is working hard and I MUST have reliability so I want to pressure that main bearing.
Does anybody know where I can get one of those pumps and as an alternative, what other pump can be grafted in. Will a brand new A pump do the job? What modifications would be required to it? I wonder whether it can be made to work by restricting the flow into the top of the motor to up the pressure but I wouldn't want to restrict it too much - how much is good?
I've heard that an oil pump from a V8 engine can be made to work but they are as scarce as rocking horse crap here. What modifications are needed? Does somebody do it and able to sell a completed unit? What are the chances of buying a V8 oil pump?
Any other suggestions??

Sorry to say the Stipe oil pumps are back ordered. My son Tony and his crew are still working on camshafts and do have the oil pumps and alum flywheels on back order. it's been real hard to regain ground when we went from a 5 man shop to a 3 man shop as 2 guys retired one 28 years and the other 26 years. you just don't replace that many years of experience. they will keep on it but I can't say when they will be back on the shelf.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:35 PM   #4
updraught

They had them back in May this year.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote