Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2020, 02:11 PM   #1
Buford40

Default U-joint Play (again!)

Sorry if this sounds like a repeat from previous posts, but I have a question that I don’t believe has been addressed before. So, please bear with me….
I have a 1940 3 speed top loader that needed to be rebuilt. When I removed it, I noticed it has a Bob Drake u-joint with a lot of play in it (it moves on the shaft quite a bit).

I found this post from over 6 years ago. It definitely described my u-joint issue: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...niversal+joint
Richardtx said: When you bolt the universal joint to the output shaft on a closed drive transmission is there play on the shaft. I have about a 1/4" play with the bolt tightened.
Thamks
Dick Spadaro said: “Well the customer was correct and the U joint did not operate correctly or bolt down correctly. To determine the issue I disassembled the U-joint and determined that the heavy main drive washer supplied in the U -joint was installed incorrectly. My customer felt that that was the issue so I went with his suggested problem.

By flipping the washer over so the cup or concave side faced the main shaft and reassembled, the U joint functioned and installed correctly. Thus I think that this is the issue with your U joint. Look in the spline drive shaft end if the washer is concave to your sight its inverted as to its correct position. To fix the issue you must disassemble the u-joint and flip the washer so the concave faces the transmission mainshaft and everything will work as intended.”

I found out the washer on my u-joint was, in fact, upside down. So, I disassembled and reassembled it correctly. That took out a lot of the play. However, it didn’t take it all away. I still have .065" play (see pic ujoint2.jpg). There is a definite gap between the washer and the body of the u-joint (see pics ujoint1 and ujoint6).

Before I condemn the quality of the Bob Drake u-joint body, I need to know if that’s the problem or if the problem is in the washer. The length of the body of the Bob Drake u-joint is 1.280” (see pic ujoint3). Is this the correct length, or should it be more like 1.345?” When I put the u-joint on the shaft (bottomed out on the output bearing), it lines up with the bottom of the bevel on the splines (see pic ujoint4). That looks “right” to me. If the body was longer, it would stick up past the bottom of the bevel—that looks odd to me (see pic ujoint5). That makes me wonder if the washer is the problem, and that it should be “bigger” to cover the gap.

So, before I just spring for a new u-joint, can anyone confirm that my current u-joint body is too short, or if my washer should be larger?

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ujoint1.jpg (44.4 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg ujoint2.jpg (25.0 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg ujoint3.jpg (52.8 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg ujoint6.jpg (60.6 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg ujoint4.jpg (71.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg ujoint5.jpg (78.2 KB, 110 views)
Buford40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:05 PM   #2
Hal Beatty

Default Re: U-joint Play (again!)

The one I have that came out of a 48 is not disassembled so I just used the tail of the caliper as a depth gauge; came out at 1.500"... The U-joint should have NO play on the trans. output shaft; if there is, it will allow the shaft to move in the rear bearing and mess things up inside the transmission.
Hal Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
john in illinois

I had that problem with a Drake Lincoln u joint about 6 years ago. There was a thread about it here at the time. I got an original Ford ujoint from Fred Wilner at Southside Obsolete.

John
Old 04-01-2020, 05:50 PM   #4
john in illinois

By the way Buford,welcome to the forum.

John
Old 04-01-2020, 06:55 PM   #5
Mart

Hello Buford. Something looks screwy about that joint. I would have to go to the garage to check, but the central part is normally recessed and the washer fits down inside the recess. But most importantly, the washer fits down hard on the joint with free space between the washer and shaft so it clamps the joint tight to the bearing etc.

I think you need to source a good original or nos joint. Also they should be hard to dismantle. They shouldn't be apart like that normally.

As a side issue some people don't realise that an original joint in good condition will have a certain amount of free play in the joint itself. Not in a rotational direction but each part can slide on the bushings somewhat to accommodate a small amount of misalignment between the trans and driveshaft.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:59 AM   #6
Talkwrench

when it does get bolted up and it should be tight, you should check the position of the baffle too. Should be the tiniest gap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14202532_10154490527838064_6368380684215240943_n.jpg (35.9 KB, 105 views)
Old 04-02-2020, 06:15 AM   #7
Ken/Alabama

I can tell you with certainty that those reproduction u-joints are junk. They will trash your transmission if they don’t tighten up. Find a NOS or good used joint .
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:14 AM   #8
Kerk

I would also advise the the Special cupped washer is a must have & use. JMHO kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:18 AM   #9
Kerk

Also I should have said the Special Washer it is also Much Thicker than a normal washer/ Once ouy see it you will notice the difference. kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #10
34PKUP

If you have the old U joint, compare the depth.
Even if you don't have the old one, it seems that a fabricated washer of necessary thickness to go between the joint and the bearing surface would correct the problem.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #11
Kube

I am guessing most of you do not realize that isn't a washer.
It is a spring. It is a Belleville spring. In this application, it acts as a lock washer. The convex side goes directly beneath the actual lock washer.
That u-joint needed to stay positively seated always or Ford would not have gone to this "extreme".

Last edited by Kube; 04-02-2020 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #12
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerk View Post
Also I should have said the Special Washer it is also Much Thicker than a normal washer/ Once ouy see it you will notice the difference. kerk

Correct. I'll try to get a pict.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:08 AM   #13
19Fordy

Thanks, Kube for that "not a washer" info. As a side question,
With the universal removed from the car, how to you determine if the "play" between the two halves is acceptable? Should there be "ZERO" play but still be able to slide on the pin?

I ask because I have about 10 used OEM Ford universal joints and would like to find out if they are still usable. Thanks.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:08 AM   #14
Tim Ayers

This is the one Roy (now Michael @ Third Gen) makes. The little tab keeps it locked in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-5934.jpg (27.1 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-5935.jpg (25.9 KB, 201 views)
Old 04-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #15
Buford40

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
By the way Buford,welcome to the forum.

John
Thanks John! Once I got back into the hobby with my 40, I've found Fordbarn and the HAMB to be amazing sources of information.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:46 AM   #16
tubman

From what "Kube" said ("convex side"), it sounds like the washer should be slightly cupped. THe one in the picture doesn't appear to be. Is it just that it's so slight that it doesn't show?
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:50 AM   #17
19Fordy

tubman: Could it be that the little tab on the washer shown above is bent so as to provide needed compression? Notice the downward indent on the tab which is suppose to hold the washer in place. Wonder why they just didn't make a cupped washer like the original?
Old 04-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #18
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
From what "Kube" said ("convex side"), it sounds like the washer should be slightly cupped. THe one in the picture doesn't appear to be. Is it just that it's so slight that it doesn't show?
It is ever so slightly.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #19
Buford40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
This is the one Roy (now Michael @ Third Gen) makes. The little tab keeps it locked in place.
My washer looks way different. I reckon that's because of the design difference between the OEM Ford and the Bob Drake LZ u-joints. Regardless, I'm aiming to get a NOS u-joint and bolt and washer...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg washer1.jpg (35.9 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg washer2.jpg (26.6 KB, 234 views)
Old 04-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #20
19Fordy

Here's a company that makes Belleville washers.
https://www.phoenixspecialty.com/pro...eville-washers

Here's more sources.
https://www.fandisc.com/disc-springs...iAAEgKFVvD_BwE