Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2020, 08:26 PM   #1
Cpuckett

Default 31 Model A rear end seals

Hello, I’ve pulled the left side axle housing off and removed the entire axle. I’m wanting to replace the seals to keep the rear end grease from leaking into my drums. I have the 2 correct seals I believe. They are about an inch to inch 1/4 in diameter, red on outside with rubber on inside but I can’t figure out where the old ones are at to remove those. Thanks in advance
Carroll

Last edited by Cpuckett; 03-22-2020 at 08:36 PM.
Cpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:54 PM   #2
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: 31 Model A rear end seals

Check your private messages in the upper right corner on this web page for the recommended seal removal and installation procedure.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
Cpuckett

Marshall, thank you VERY much!!
Cpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:48 AM   #4
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Those seals don't prevent the rear axle lube from getting to the drum, they redirect the grease from the rear bearing grease fitting out toward the rear bearing. If they are not there, you will pump the grease into your axle hsg. Trace it and you will figure it out.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
Jim Brierley

Sounds like you need to replace the larger seal that are in the hubs of the drums. Face the lip towards the bearing, the little ones you have face outward to keep the grease from entering the diff, as Jackson says.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #6
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
Those seals don't prevent the rear axle lube from getting to the drum, they redirect the grease from the rear bearing grease fitting out toward the rear bearing. If they are not there, you will pump the grease into your axle hsg. Trace it and you will figure it out.
I agree with this statement. Many people in the hobby believe they are oil seals and are there to keep differential oil from reaching the brakes. They are there to direct the grease pumped in through the grease fitting toward the wheel bearing. If you pack the wheel bearings during installation there is no need to continue to grease them. In later years Ford did away with the grease fittings.

I have taken hundreds of rear axle assemblies apart and found the lack of any differential oil reaching much past the carrier, even with the grease seals shot. On the other hand I have also found that an owner who continually pumps grease in through the grease fittings with both axle seals shot has caused the grease to travel down the axle shaft where it centrifuges around the axle. the more grease pumped in the farther it travels toward the differential and the larger is the diameter of grease around the axles.

One way differential oil can reach the brakes is if you have a Borg Warner overdrive installed. Most used a Model A axle grease seal as the rear oil seal riding on an unmachined area of the stub shaft. Over time oil gets past the seal and into the differential and the more oil added to the overdrive the more the oil level rises in the banjo.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote