Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #101
karasmer

Default Re: What is your collector car Pet Peeve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezixx View Post
People who honk their horns while I'm driving. I know it's a compliment but it spooks me. I always think I'm in somebody's way or perhaps a part fell off.

One phenomenon I have noticed that truly irks me is when a young driver is behind me and although I am keeping up with the traffic flow I look like I am slow. They dart past only to duck back into my lane in front of me and hit the brakes totally ignorant of the fact that it takes me a much longer distance to stop than it does them.
This happens a lot to me.
"Perhaps a part fell off", LOL
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #102
nhusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
on the other hand: I do commend the parents that when they see their kids heading towards you car, like it is a big piece of candy say "don't touch"!

I always say thank you....
When I have my 1919 T woodie at a car show and I run into some one with kids that have "obviously" been told not to touch and the kids are behaving I ask if they would like to sit in the car.

The kids and parents usually have big smiles - at least the Kids smile.
Sometimes the parents look a bit concerned!
But in the end they smile and say "Thank You"

I also explain that they can't touch all the cars and this is a special opportunity.

I know that it is not a Peeve ---

My peeve is people asking me how much my T is worth -
My standard reply is $1.00

Then I add - $1.00 more than the highest offer.
It usually take someone a few seconds to figure out what I said.

Last edited by nhusa; 01-09-2014 at 03:58 PM.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #103
Brother Hesekiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurkey View Post
Mine has to be taking a great, original example of anything and . . . .

Try and find a totally stock car in a car show nowadays...rare. When I go to a show I appreciate seeing what cars looked like when they were new. I have to use my imagination more and more.
Finding an stock, sometimes even a largely original Ford Model A is super easy, compared to a stock Model B. Try to find a stock 1932 Ford Roadster, and tell me how many you were able to find. If, once in a blue moon, a stock example surfaces, usually in the $70K to $80K range, it's being picked up by somebody like Mike Meyer who wants to build a classic 1940s Hot Rod out of it. And the non-Roadsters were bought just for their bones, whereas the body was scrapped.
Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #104
Rainmaker Ron

Over the years I have developed a number of stock answerers to the Model A FAQs.

How fast will it go? I don't know, the speedometer only reads up to 85MPH.

Whatta ya take for it? I could let you have it for what Grandpa gave for it. How much was that? He swapped 40 acres and a mule!

My favorite is a true story. The Model A huckster my kids used for highschool events was parked in front of the shop and attracted a sight seer. Is that your old A Model out front? Yes sir. What would you say if a man wanted to buy that car? Well, I would be forced to tell him the kids used the car for school events and they had 3 more years of school. And what would you say if a man offered 10,000 dollars for that car? In that case I would be forced to say My My, how time flies!
Rainmaker Ron
Rainmaker Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #105
Clem Clement

Rainmaker,
Good to hear from ya. Ref. you note above, I thought for 10K you would have throwed the kids in the deal(:>)

Last year was good for my cars. More good Qs and waves than annoyances. We established a cross-hobby breakfast series in our area. Model A/eV-8ers and trainics gather once a month at the local diner for eggs and warm chat. Our ladies jump as going out for breakfast and the good chat about almost anything. This event is really working to improve the camaraderie between us all. As you guys know: a collector is a collector.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #106
felix37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhite View Post
I can understand know-it-all commentators and unsupervised children being a pet peeve, but to get pissed at people's ignorance is crazy IMO. Those are 'teachable moments'...opportunities to foster the love of vintage automobiles/motoring in the hearts & minds of someone else. How many times do we read posts on this and other like-minded message boards lamenting the fact that the hobby is dying, club memberships are declining, and the privilege of operating these mechanical wonders on public roadways is slowly being legislated away? Perhaps if we took seriously the well-meaning yet ignorant questions of the unwashed the state of our hobby would be different. My 2 cents.
gwhite, Good point! My 1. pet Peeve is people who complain about the people who ask dumb questions! what do you expect when you drive any classic vehicle to a public venue? people are curious by nature and will always ask questions, dumb or not. deal with it, or leave it in the garage! Pet Peeve 2. DO NOT TOUCH! signs, they are tacky and only seam to attract people to touch all over a car, just as a Wet Paint sign is sure to make someone touch to see if it really is wet. It seams to me, that the grumpy guy that spends the entire day at a show guarding his car from his lawn chair(afraid to take a piss in fear that someone will touch his paint) is the guy that always has all the problems....maybe it's just karma!
Be Kind!! they are just cars!
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:15 AM   #107
Tim Armstrong

No its not for sale.....I am going to fix it up some day. That day never comes.
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #108
Charlville

Intolerance
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #109
Ron Lachniet

Wherever we go in our model a's we are ambassadors for our hobby so making snide remarks to dumb questions make people think we are like the parking lot show hot rodders that act like guard dogs for their precious jewels. We all say we want our hobby grow and thrive so we need to make it look as fun as it really is.
Ron Lachniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #110
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Lachniet View Post
Wherever we go in our model a's we are ambassadors for our hobby so making snide remarks to dumb questions make people think we are like the parking lot show hot rodders that act like guard dogs for their precious jewels. We all say we want our hobby grow and thrive so we need to make it look as fun as it really is.
That is very true. These are teaching moments. No one likes to be made fun of. Correct them, smile, thank them for their interest or compliment, and let them walk away thinking, what a nice guy you are. I have been turned off more times than I can remember on a potential hobby or interest, because my first introduction to it turned out to be an interaction with a "good ol' boys club". A legitimate question asked resulted in a smart ass reply, and winking between "members". While 20 feet away a membership sign up table sits. Ya, I want to be a part of that group.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #111
30ccpickup

Winter

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #112
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
The worst thing for me are collectors who know nothing about their car. "Buy it and buff it."
On the rare occasion we do a car show, spectators better have plenty of time if they ask me a question! I will talk their ear off about Model A's. the history of my car and the industry in general.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #113
rob63mess

I have to agree....ask me anything you want....it's how I learned. I also don't like the look but don't touch signs...kind of snooty. I'm in it to make friends, have fun and to preserve some history. I see it a lot at the few shows I go to....some nice folks want to ask you something or just talk in general but the are stand offish because they were snubbed by some of the other owners....not good.
rob63mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #114
Smurkey

Am I the only one who kind of hangs back in the crowd and watches other people looking over the car? That's my favorite part...being an anonymous "show goer" and hearing the comments people make both positive and negative, the stories they tell the people they're with, the "facts" or facts they point out, etc. By the way, most people are very respectful of the car.

Not really a pet peeve, but hey, whatever.

Steve
Smurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #115
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
#1 peeve. Easy. Stupid people ! Its amazing the number that want to tell you all about your vehicle and then stick their little brats in them so they can drop the ice cream cone or spill the pop on the seats only to quickly grab the kid and run away before you see what just happened.
Or, the snobs that only want to see a hot-rod or a perfectly restored show winner.
A little off subject. At our annual 4th of July fly-in breakfast there are always planes on display. One year this clown was setting his kid on the wing of a Cherokee and having him run down the length of the wing and jump off the end. This was great fun until I stopped this idiot and showed him the damage to the wing and tip he had caused. He couldn't see any harm in what he was doing at all and was argumentative.
Its hard to be polite to some of these people.
Or to see some jerk with a cigarette in his hands come up and lean into your car (with smoke going everywhere and filtering into the upholstery) while he was admireing the inside of your car.

Not good!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #116
BlueSunoco

Russ/40, the only thing 'driven home' from THAT was that the guy was untrustworthy
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #117
BlueSunoco

....and I have had the same experiences as Smurkey...the VAST majority of people that look at my car ARE polite and careful around it. I'd venture to say probably 98% of the people so looking at it from that point of view,,,,yeah there are still a lot of really good folks out there the bottom hasn't fallen out yet I guess.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #118
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Hesekiel View Post
Finding an stock, sometimes even a largely original Ford Model A is super easy, compared to a stock Model B. Try to find a stock 1932 Ford Roadster, and tell me how many you were able to find. If, once in a blue moon, a stock example surfaces, usually in the $70K to $80K range, it's being picked up by somebody like Mike Meyer who wants to build a classic 1940s Hot Rod out of it. And the non-Roadsters were bought just for their bones, whereas the body was scrapped.

That's sure true. A '32 Ford is a thing of beauty. Especially a Roadster or a three window coupe IN ORIGINAL CONDITION. I wouldn't walk across the street to look at a '32 that has been rodded. It's the same as taking a Michelangelo art work and spray painting graffiti all over it Yuck! That just makes an original unmolested '32 that much more attractive.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #119
silversink

Mine is the car guys that get pissed at me because I encourage the kids to get in my truck and if you want a picture of you in the truck, sure I'll take it.
They say I give everyone the Idea the cars are here for fun instead of a pretty look at me show buy stay your distance or I'll bitch at you. I guess I would rather spark an interest instead of spoil some ones vision of car guys
Old 01-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #120
Brian T

Wink Re: What is your collector car Pet Peeve?

I too encourage the kids to get in my truck for pictures, but what really gets me is when the grand parents don't believe I bought the truck brand new in 29 when I got out of high school, LOL.