Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
TerryH

Default PVC Fuel filler for Model A's

Someone else recently asked about a PVC fitting that I use as a filler extension for my 1930 Model A, so I thought it would be good to post a couple of pictures showing it. It is a 1 1/2 x 2 PVC fitting, available at any of the home stores, and fits perfectly inside the filler of my Model A. It is nice that it extends to a good height above the cowl, allowing one to easily fill the tank without touching the paint, and it also allows you to pretty well fill the tank without the pump shutting off. This was shown to me when I first joined out local Model A club many years ago.

TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
QGolden

Default Re: PVC Fuel filler for Model A's

Great idea. Thx!

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Flathead

That is a great idea. Thanks for sharing it!!
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
Tom Cavallaro

Fantastic idea! Ingenious thanks.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
DougVieyra

This is what I have been using for a couple of years now, and I can attest that it is a cheap and excellent way to combat today's gas-filling nozzles.

I still have to go through the hassle of removing my gas tank strainer, and re-installing it after the fill up. Unlike many, I have chosen to keep this Ford designed safety part in the tank, although I use it more as an anti-sloshing device than 'spark arrestor'. I have worked the fitting of it enough so that the hassle is at a minimum.

For my area of Northern California, our station's gas nozzles reach a good way down the tank, even with this PVC fitting. So I have added an additional threaded 1 1/2" X 3" nipple to the top of this fitting, adjusting it's depth to allow additional gas to fill the tank, while keeping it from over-filling. The depth of the nipple can be adjusted (both screwed in, and, if need be, cut down) to fit your particular gas-station hose nozzle, to make sure there is no 'over-fill' spilling out the top of the tank. Ofcourse much has to do with the highth of the collar - some fittings (different manufacturers) have higher, others lower collars.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 11-22-2013 at 09:06 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
Art Bjornestad

The reason that people pay $30 bucks for these great aids is because they are made of metal. PVC is a wonderful insulator and can cause explosions if static builds up around the tank opening. The metal hose nozzle provides the ground but shouldn't be interrupted by a PVC device

Gas stations in CA will not let you fill more than a 5 gallon plastic container for just this reason. They figure that there aren't enough fumes to cause a problem but you do hear about the occasional problem when people don't set the container on the cement driveway and fill them.
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
DougVieyra

I am familiar with the story that Art relates. However, after watching the national news diligently for over thirty years now, I have yet to hear of any Model A exploding due to the use of a PVC adapter used for filling the gas tank.

My gas station's metal hose nozzle has a rubber "bumper" which rests against the tank filler hole - to me this also 'brakes the ground' - not much different than the PVC.

Please forward to me any news story that reports an actual incident of a Model A exploding while filling with gas - with or without a PVC.

Sometimes we worry too much about comets falling out of the sky. Yes, they do happen. But the odds are greatly in our favor that the comet will miss us. Like a Billion to one.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 11-22-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
I have heard the story that Art relates. However, after watching the national news diligently for over thirty years now, I have yet to hear of any Model A exploding due to the use of a PVC adapter used for filling the gas tank of any old (or new) automobile.

Sometimes we worry too much about comets falling out of the sky. Yes, they do happen. But the odds are greatly in our favor that the comet will miss us.

Please forward to me any news story that reports an actual incident of a Model A exploding while filling with gas.
And you can send me any reports of an engine being ruined by using non-detergent oil.

It boils down to why take a chance?
Old 11-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #9
DougVieyra

Mike V in Florida - "Why take a chance?"

Mike, if the chance is 50 - 50 , I'll be more prudent. But at a Billion to one, I can afford to 'take a chance'. However, for those who don't feel so brave (or are by nature more cautious) then there is always the $40 'Safe' option available by the vendors.

The thing that TerryH's original post was saying is : IF you DON'T want to spend $40 (with tax and shipping, maybe more), you can still get more efficient tank filling with a simple and cost-effective $3 device.

Art Bjornestad's post has informed the readers of the 'Safety Issue', for those who want a 'fair and balanced' approach to the question. They then can make up their own mind.

And I am still waiting to read an article about a Model A that exploded by using a PVC filler adaptor.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
Mike V in Florida - "Why take a chance?"

Mike, if the chance is 50 - 50 , I'll be more prudent. But at a Billion to one, I can afford to 'take a chance'. However, for those who don't feel so brave (or are by nature more cautious) then there is always the $40 'Safe' option available by the vendors.

The thing that TerryH's original post was saying is : IF you DON'T want to spend $40 (with tax and shipping, maybe more), you can still get more efficient tank filling with a simple and cost-effective $3 device.

Art Bjornestad's post has informed the readers of the 'Safety Issue', for those who want a 'fair and balanced' approach to the question. They then can make up their own mind.

And I am still waiting to read an article about a Model A that exploded by using a PVC filler adaptor.
it's not an A but,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii6h-eqI0dM

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/7...ySection=story

It all boils down to "it's your car and you are free to do what you like". I promise no one will arrest you if you use plastic, metal, leather, nothing, something, anything, whatever.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 11-23-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:47 AM   #11
QGolden

The You Tube video was from a Natural Gas station in the Mideast. Not a gasoline incident.

The news story does not have an "official" cause of the fire. The story says it is "believed" to be static. I wounder why the Video is not posted.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:00 AM   #12
DougVieyra

The You-tube example, which was with 'pressurized natural gas', is like comparing apples to oranges. But I do appreciate the effort to bring the danger of filling a car's gas tank to our notice.

I am reminded of the 'Danger' I once read about in the drinking of beer (or other liquid) from a glass bottle. There is the risk of one's tooth hitting the edge of the glass, thereby either chipping the tooth, or, chipping the bottle's glass, thereby risking the glass shards falling into the bottle's liquid contents. YES, that is a danger. However, a great many of us have accepted the risk, learned to live with it, and continue to drink beer and other beverages from a glass bottle.

And for that matter, there are some who argue that driving with mechanical breaks is inherently dangerous and should be avoided. While that may or may not be true, there are a great many who accept the possibility of the 'danger' that mechanical brakes are not as efficient or as safe as modern brakes, still feel comfortable, as an acceptable risk, and drive with mechanical brakes.

There is 'danger' in everything - it is for each of us to measure our own 'risk' tolerance, and do what we feel comfortable with. For some it may be the $40 metal Filler-Extension; others may feel comfortable with the $3 PVC extension. For some, it may be, while fully aware of the REAL, PROVEN danger, they STILL chose to live in Florida - the 'Bulls Eye' of Hurricane Alley. Or Oklahoma - home to 'Tornado Alley', or the California coast - home to constant Earth-Quakes.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 11-23-2013 at 03:12 PM.