Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #21
Bud

Default Re: Mouse repellant

Google 'Texas Trap'. It is phenomenal. I catch mice on a regular basis. I also use high frequency screamers plugged into a garage outlet.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #22
mshmodela

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #23
1931 flamingo

I put a box or so of mothballs in a plastic bag in the car along with a full box of dryer sheets spread around, under the car I sprinkle a couple of boxes of moth balls. No mice problem. It's a one car garage, concrete floor.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #24
coupe1942

Hummmm, wonder if this works or not? :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mouse catcher.jpg (57.6 KB, 131 views)
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #25
cp5491r

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
I had mice problem when my cars were covered. They like darkness! Now I do not cover the cars, the hood is left open so the engine is not in darkness, put steel wool in the tailpipe and put a few boxes of decon around and no more mouse problem even with a phaeton in an old barn.
DeCon has been great for me. 30 years in drafty garage and storage units and no mouse damage!
cp5491r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:49 PM   #26
hoof

Another vote for dryer sheets. Go to the dollar store and buy a gross of the cheapest ones you can find. I use them in my camper over the winter, and (crosses fingers) so far haven't had any trouble.
CHAZ
hoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #27
Bigdave

I use Bird-Sonic, by Transonic.
Bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #28
Indiana A. Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana A. Lover

I have no dog in this hunt , but I found a good Mouse and Rat Repellent. It is called Fresh Cab, We use it in our Combines, Tractor cabs, Haul Trucks. It says it lasts 30 days but I throw it in and leave it all Winter, No mice!!!! Your Results may very, But it is made by some real nice Folks up in Bismarck North Dakota , For more info,facebook.com/freshcab ! I buy this product At Farm and Fleet and Tractor Supply stores. Hope this helps. It smells great!!
Indiana A. Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #29
d.

it is spelled C- A- T. I have had a shop cat for 17 years now, not one mouse problem.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #30
Merc Cruzer

I just brought a Pest A Cator 2000 Plus...we will see how it works

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_4s3nhhlz6p_e
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:24 PM   #31
Nabco

I have two Savannah cats (google them) let them out in the garage a couple times a week, that's all I need to keep the mice away....if they do catch one there's not much left to clean up, it's a snack for them.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:26 PM   #32
H. L. Chauvin

Very good information above; and in all honesty, with varying sizes of different rodent populations everywhere in urban & rural areas, lots depends "where" one lives & also what our neighbors have & do not have as far as cats, etc.

Rodent Control professionals claim rodent "food" supply is "directly" related to rodent "reproduction"; and drastically reducing rodent food supply always means fewer rodents; but we have no control over our neighbor's source of rodent food supply & our neighbor's rodent population.

Have no idea, but it appears that declaring war & preventing a second new expensive Model A, LB interior, (or other interior), from being eaten up by rodents and/or moths, (especially, for a "second" time), gets to be far more aggressive & serious business than it was the first time.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 10-13-2016 at 07:28 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #33
funrunr

I use dryer sheets in and all around every crack and crevice along with inside my camper that is stored in the barn with dirt floor. Under the camper I spread about 3 boxes of moth balls to deter them in the first place. Fly bait and Coca Cola kills anything that drinks it. If another animal eats the dead poisoned one it too will die. Same goes for D'Con or other mouse poison. Be weary if you or your neighbors have animals.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:15 PM   #34
Tom Wesenberg

Remember the old sticky fly paper rolls that used to hang in kitchens and porches of the old farm houses? Well, you can still buy them in a package of 5 for $1 at Dollar Tree stores, and I hang them in the garage also. They catch a lot of flying critters that otherwise like to leave specks all over the cars.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:21 PM   #35
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabco View Post
I have two Savannah cats (google them) let them out in the garage a couple times a week, that's all I need to keep the mice away....if they do catch one there's not much left to clean up, it's a snack for them.
OH MY GOD, they EAT them???
Rat Terriers use the "COLD KILL" method, they just crunch & hold their neck, until DEAD, then just walk away
Buster T's Man
Old 10-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #36
Tom Wesenberg

For a good long term no maintenance trap use a 5 gallon bucket with no lid. Run a stiff wire lengthwise through a pop can so it can spin, and mount this across the center of the top of the bucket. Put some peanut butter on the pop can and a gallon of drain oil in the bucket. Prop a board up to the top edge of the bucket so the mice can climb up and jump to the pop can, then fall into the oil. It will work all winter long and not stink.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:02 AM   #37
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Per the recommendation of an RV dealer, I tried using those sweet smelling clothes dryer softener sheets to ward off rodents. Placed several in places throughout two other stored away vintage sedans. The old Mercedes Benz is very tight and rodents can't seem to find their way inside. Placed a few of those sheets in strategic places within the engine compartment. Mice love to get up into air cleaners to set up house keeping and raise a nice large family of vermin.

Upon checking a few weeks later, to my chagrin, the mice had not only ignored the clothes softener sheets but had actually chewed up some and used the things for nesting materials within several odd places. People gripe about the smell, but it's a trade-off . . . the later scent of tell-tale mothballs or wrecked and ruined car interior with the stench of rat urine. It's a choice!

The only thing that seems to repel rodents such as mice and squirrels are common "MOTHBALLS" . Thing is, mothballs are actually little time-release insecticide gas bombs. We also toss mothballs up into the suspended block ceiling downstairs to impede mice that sometimes find their way into the house. Since using the mothballs, there have been no signs of rodent activity.

MOTHBALLS are also nemesis to wild deer and other destructive four legged garbage scavenging pests. AMMONIA is another cheap to buy animal repellent. Down at Dollar Store, ammonia is a buck for a jug! Deer and other stupid critters think that the ammonia stink is Coyote urine. The powerful smell also for a time overwhelms animal senses.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:02 AM   #38
H. L. Chauvin

Looks like old time D-Con green "pellets", in little 3" square or so trays, have been pulled from shelves at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, & local grocery stores for quite some time now.

Last time ordered D-Con green "pellets", (that work well), was from Amazon.com.

After watching the news lately, looks like nobody cares if the rats eat us alive.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:32 AM   #39
H. L. Chauvin

Wow. Now, $99.00 a box for D-Con "Pellets" at Amazon.com.

We might all have to move next door to Mr. Bill Williamson and his Rat Terrier Buster T.
----------------------------------------------------
PELLETs (12oz.)
by D-Con
4.5 out of 5 stars 171 customer reviews | 19 answered questions
Price: $99.90 Free Shipping for Prime Members
Old 10-14-2016, 05:54 AM   #40
Tom Wesenberg

Has everyone gone nuts? I just checked on ebay for D-con, and they are crazy also.

Did EPA outlaw this product, or why is it suddenly so expensive?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/D-Con-Ready-...QAAOSw8oFXzh9d