Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: No spark at distributor

If you can't get 6 volts to the OPEN points contact with the key ON, then you might have the cable screwed into the housing too far. It only should be screwed in a couple turns, or three at the most.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #22
cp5491r

Thanks- I had the dash hanging loose and still saw the same problem.
I just can't seem to narrow it down to the location of the short or other problem.
cp5491r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:29 PM   #23
Mitch//pa
BANNED

call me at the shop when you are with the car and i will walk you through it if that helps
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:30 AM   #24
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp5491r View Post
I am frustrated on this one. With switch off, I have voltage from starter to both sides of coil. Ampmeter discharges when I try the horn. Took distributor plates (top and bottom) out to look for shorts and didn't see any issues. Replaced the wire from switch to distributor, thinking it might of been shorted out inside the cable, still no spark at the points.
What am I missing?? Thanks.
Did you follow the step by step given here?https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showpo...87&postcount=4

Open the points and place a piece of paper in between to keep them open. Turn on ignition switch. Do you have voltage on the swing arm?

Yes - the wiring from the battery, coil primary, ignition switch wiring, o the points are good. The condenser is not shorted.

No, Check the above wiring.

Once you have voltage at the points swing arm check, with the points closed, do you now have zero volts? Points open 6 volts battery closed zero volts?

No, then the points are closing of they are dirty or the distributor is not grounding well to the engine and the engine to the frame, the frame to the battery.

Yes, take the wire from the center of the coil and place it near a head bolt. Close and open the points, do you now have a spark 1/4 inch and blue/white in color?
Old 11-09-2015, 08:04 AM   #25
cp5491r

Thanks Mitch!
Work and daylight savings keeps me working on it only on the weekend (It's at a storage unit with no lights). I'll keep working at it but I may try you if I take an afternoon off to work on it before the snow flies here. I very much appreciate the offer!!
Old 11-09-2015, 10:55 PM   #26
Jeff/Illinois

Ron Erenhofer gave some good advice on Model A electrical systems sometime back. He said 'While everything is in good working order, go around and use your test light, etc. and check the components to see what they show when things are good. Then, when things go south you'll have a better idea of just what is not working right.'

Good advice. Sorry won't help you now but when you get your A running right something to keep in mind
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:33 PM   #27
1930marie

Sincerely, brilliant! Many A'ers love our hobby, however, are scared of the unknown, such as a good old fashion shock. Thank you for making the effort to encourage our fellow hobbyist to give it that good old college try! cp5194r do not hesitate to ask ANY question, at any hour, there is NO such thing as a "rookie" question in this hobby! We welcome ALL questions and strive to be of service and assistance to our fellow A'ers.
1930marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:40 PM   #28
1930marie

I forgot - consider buying Les Andrews Trouble Shooting and Diagnostics manuel, best $30 you'll ever spend on your model A! If you are willing to work through the steps, you will learn more than you'll ever need to know about your electrical system. The tips the fella's are recommending are all in Les's book.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:45 PM   #29
cp5491r

Thanks all. I got back to it today and I think I just have a bad switch that isn't consistent. I had good voltage at coil, to ignition switch and eventually back to ignition cable. Screwed it into distributor and had voltage at the points swing arm. This is all with the ignition panel unscrewed from the dash so there is not short on the switch. I shut off the switch to put everything back together (ignition cable back into terminal box, terminal cover back on) and tried to start it- turned over but no attempt to start. I checked again and not voltage at points, voltage into the switch (sometimes) but not out to ignition cable.
I think it just must be a bad switch... sound correct??
Thanks.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #30
BILL WILLIAMSON

Just jump across the ign. switch.
Bill W.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:32 PM   #31
1930marie

Better enjoy working on your cars now! Retirement requires a couple things to enjoy it - good health and a memory!! lol. ps I find myself sitting in my shop staring at projects I need to get done. I've been procrastinating installing new front leaf springs on the roadster with all parts teady to go and still have not tore it down! Been a month now!!
Old 11-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #32
Mitch//pa
BANNED

This is a good quality switch available with or without the cable. It's a look alike pop out..
I sent dad one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.5 KB, 33 views)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:54 PM   #33
Tom Wesenberg

Remember, the ignition switch is on the ground side of the coil, so it will show voltage on both terminals only when the points are open. If the points are closed, then the ignition switch should show ground on both terminals.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #34
cp5491r

Finally worked my way back to the switch. When I jumped the two wires at the stitch, I finally got spark at the points. I guess I'll be buying a new switch this winter and waiting for warmer weather to install! Thanks for all of the good advice.