Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
larry harding

Default new old guy wants advice

i'm a junkaholic and back yard tinkerer. I've messed with everything from off road dune buggys, motorcycles(mostly Harleys and cushmans), to hit and miss engines, and restoring a king midget three years ago. I know this must be an incurable mental disease, but it sure is fun. last week I came home with the most derelect 1930 pickup that anyone has thought about restoring. rusted, busted, taken apart or missing best describes the condition, although we did crank the engine. i'm not planning on a show quality job, just a fun to drive rat rod +.
now for some advice (other than junk it and get my head examined) I have been looking at mikes a fordable catalog as well as amazon, there are dozens of books on the model a. I will need information on such things as nuts, bolts and fasteners, how to cut the wood pieces as well as general tech and restoration procedures. "the complete model a restoration manual" sounds good, but I'm sure there others you experienced guys can recommend. thanks for your help.
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
bambooboy

Default Re: new old guy wants advice

not sure what books,others will chime in. pick a subject,nuts, bolts wood,put in search box &you will find some answers. welcome aboard larry. tom
bambooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #3
Bob C

Here's a thread on the same subject. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ighlight=books

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #4
1930artdeco

If you are doing a ratrod then most of the books that are out there may not be of use. IF you plan to keep the power train and mechanicals then Les Andrew's books are probably the best plus I think there is a book out there on just pick ups, I could be wrong. You may also check the HAMB as well.

Mike
Old 09-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #5
Aok

The pick up book, have one someplace does not have a lot of information for a basic put together project
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #6
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

As stated, get both Les Andrews books. The Red one and the Green one. I like Snyders for good parts. I too am starting to restore a 1930 CCPU. Driving the Gang crazy with all my questions!

I call her "Pea Cup."

Larry
Larry Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #7
Bill in SoCal

Welcome,

As far as vendors go - Google "Bert's Model A, Snyder's Antique Auto or Bratton's Antique Auto. Most people seem to like one or all of them. Mikes not so much. You can check on what people said about them through the search function on this website.

Have fun and ask lots of questions, Bill
Bill in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:05 PM   #8
ronn

I would order Macs catalogue-many pictures to help you along the way.......................!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:30 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

If you want the rat rod look then who cares about proper wood and proper fasteners?

The definition of rat rod is a car that has what ever to make it run.

Now if you want a car to knock around in and had proper parts for the proper years (no matter what condition) then get the catalog from the vendor closest to you. Snyders, Brattons, Mikes (my favorite). Stay away from books on Amazon!!! let me say that again, wait until you get a free vendor catalog and order a books from them and NOT Amazon!! I have sold several of the Les Andrews red book on Amazon for 99.00 each even with a review written by me stating that they can be bought from a vendor for less than $40.00.

My advice, get the running gear working, start, run, steer and stop, then decide what you want to do with the body.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showpo...1&postcount=28

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 09-21-2015 at 11:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:58 PM   #10
Evan Lewis

I would recommend Mike's in Maysville, GA There parts are good quality, their prices are competitive and they are willing to assist and answer questions via the phone! Good folks.

Evan Lewis
Evan Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:10 AM   #11
RandyinUtah

I would tell you to get the three books offered from MAFCA titled How to restore your Model A volume one two and three. They were written many years ago but offer some good basic advice.
RandyinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #12
Gil Sissons

I would add to the vendor list Sam @ Arizona Model A.
Very nice people.... Very helpful... Lots of original parts
And new stuff.. Gil. NoCal
Gil Sissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:09 AM   #13
Bob Bidonde

If you really want to get a sense of accomplishment, a sense that you saved something for history and that you tested all of your mechanical skills, then restore your Model "A" Pickup Truck as a Model "A" and not a rat rod.

Building a rat rod is like playing with a mix of Legos & Lincoln's Logs. Anyone with a modicum of automotive skills can can build a random mixture of parts on wheels. Resurrecting an 80 year old plus masterpiece mostly like it was originally built is a significant and rewarding challenge.

Here's a test. Given that you have two pictures to hang over the mantle in your living room, one of the rat rod and one of your restored Model "A," which one does she choose? I don't think it will be the rat rod!
Old 09-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #14
jim1932

My guess is you meant Ratty, as in not pretty, but using the right parts. search on here for most of is and get a Brattons catalog an peruse through it. you may be surprised what's out there being manufactured.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:52 AM   #15
Rex_A_Lott

Post your location and you will get better advice on parts sources. Sometimes the shipping difference will matter for similar parts. Also you may find individuals have parts that they culled as not being good enough for them that would be suitable for you. Good Luck!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #16
Brentwood Bob

1. do not throw anything away.
2. try to use the original parts.
3. Hook up with knowledgable people nearby.
4. do one thing at a time and journal what is done.
5. Speed of disassembly is not the way to approach this project.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:01 PM   #17
larry harding

thanks for all the advice guys. i'm not going to build a rat rod in particular, but this project is so rough it would cost a fortune in the sheet metal alone. I want to make it mechanically sound and go with a flat or hot rod black to hide flaws. I've got one repairable fender, the other three questionable at best. the right rear fender is missing about 18 inches on the rear end.. the bed has a lot of rust but I think is savable. I've got four doors, maybe can piece together up a pair of useable ones. the cab is straight but has a lot of rust to be taken care of.I took a couple of ron covell's metal forming courses that should come in handy. I live in n.c. so mikes or smith and jones are probably the closest venders.
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #18
JBill

Depends on what you've got, but if you've got the engine and chassis and not much else, maybe just maybe consider building a speedster. Lots of help and information out there on them. Nice alternative to a rat rod.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:54 PM   #19
Kevin in NJ

Get the owners manual to start, then move on to the judging standards so you have some clue of the different year parts. I suggest the Legendary Model A Ford so you understand how the car was driven. Then Service bulletins.

What I like to get new people to understand is what the Model A should be when restored by knowing the actual history of the car.

The point I like to drive home is the car was designed to run 60 MPH, stop very good, and get over 20 MPG. The cars were driven hard, 50 to 55 MPH all day long on horrible roads was not an uncommon feat for the car when then were the everyday car.

The A could do this because it was manufactured to what we consider race car tolerances today. You need to know how to use micrometers to properly restore the mechancal areas.

As for fasteners, nuts and bolt. Well even rusty nasty fasteners are better then the repros. Ford used tight tolerance threads in many places and in some they were hardened very very hard. Never use a tap or die on many of the fasteners you will make them loose.

If you properly restore the to factory tolerances, not Judging Standards, you will expect to have a car that runs 60 MPH all day long, comfortable to be running 60 MPH, and stop confidently. Other then regular lubing, occasional adjusting of the points and keeping the gas tank full you should not expect to have any problems for decades.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:02 PM   #20
jeep44

Some photos would be nice....
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote