Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2015, 06:16 PM   #21
HOTRODPRIMER

Default Re: Fellas... I've had enough...

I'm not here that much so thankfully I have missed the problem Ryan has pointed out but I am very active on the Hamb and have seen things get nasty.

I have always thought that fighting on the internet and name calling is childish but in reality kids act better than some adults on some of the forums.

I don't know the party's are that have been at each other throat but when it comes to the attention of the Boss and it's his sandbox and he offers to reset the clock you guys need listen. HRP
Old 08-25-2015, 06:19 PM   #22
bobpo1

There is no need nor call to be nasty to anyone on this forum. We are all here for the same love of Old Fords. Today I got a beautiful '31 tudor in my shop for a new pinstripe job. Ain't life lovely?
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #23
Synchro909

I have felt for a while now that some people are a bit precious which, if so, would make the moderator's job very difficult. It is also easy to misinterpret a post, especially when there is a difference between nationalities. There are small differences in how people from one country relate to others compared to how those in another country do. That can easily lead to unintentional offence.
Ryan, I appreciate what you do and all the time you spend doing it. I thank you for that but don't envy you job.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #24
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I have felt for a while now that some people are a bit precious which, if so, would make the moderator's job very difficult. It is also easy to misinterpret a post, especially when there is a difference between nationalities. There are small differences in how people from one country relate to others compared to how those in another country do. That can easily lead to unintentional offence.
Ryan, I appreciate what you do and all the time you spend doing it. I thank you for that but don't envy you job.
My 2 cents: Yes there are nationality differences but for me I just find it flat out amazing people halfway around the world in a different season can communicate and send pictures to one another! Gotta remember when our Model A's were new only 70% of homes in the USA had electricity!

I really enjoy learning about our differences as that's what makes us who we are as a country and even region specifics within a country (like coke VS soda VS pop VS soda pop etc). Id love to travel to Europe and visit my family's homeland of Finland but Ive yet to be outside of the US - I have been to Canada but I dont count that as that was pre-passport era

On all the different forums I belong to usually its "the foreigners" (no offense) first apologizing for their bad English skills, while most of the time they are the ones speaking correctly...I cant say Ive ever seen anyone "bash" someone from another country on a forum - besides the occasional poking fun

Also lest we not forget the ol saying: "There is more than one way to skin a cat" - Most of what we have today was invented from people surrounded by naysayers so just because there is a great written method out there to do a task maybe that just means a better one is to be discovered or put in writing.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #25
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Exactly the reasons why Ahooga is almost dead..

Larry
Larry Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:22 PM   #26
BILL WILLIAMSON

Ryan,
I "think" it's mostly to do with BIG HEADS & EGOS---Some have to PROVE they know MORE than the average Dude. EVERYONE'S insecure, some just don't ADMIT it! I worked with a really decent tech, promoted to Service Manager, became a DICK & wuz GONE in 3 Months!---He thought he was THE PRESIDENT OF THE WORLD, instead of looking for Techs doing GOOD things & COMMENDING them for it!
Chief said, " WE'RE ALL CHILDREN, IN OOOLD SKINS"!
On The Barn, it's EASY to figure out who knows their SHIT. I try to only critique, when BAD or INCORRECT info is posted, we don't want mis-lead or screw up someone. We MUST post responsibly, this stuff is read WORLDWIDE!!
I do the "humor" to help someone REMEMBER some GOOD, PROVEN advice & to make some LONELY or HURTING person to LAFF, if for only a Minute or so.
I'm no ANGEL, though, you've BANNED me, temporarily, 2 times, glad you let me back on.
AND, I "think" my skin's grown THICKER, I rarely BRUISE anymore, BUT, it didn't help the 79 years of WRINKLES.
Would one of you buy the house, across the street & HELP me finish VERMIN? Buster T. makes GOOD COFFEE, too.
Bill W. & Buster T.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #27
Henry1953

I enjoy this sight. Thank you for making it even better. I like your rules. I was in a famous preacher's office in Frisco, TX a while back and he has a big sign behind his desk that says "Be Nice or Get Out". I liked it!
Henry1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:44 PM   #28
Joey Anchors

I haven't been apart of the forum that long, but luckily haven't been attacked for asking questions from my very little knowledge of these fine great cars we are all interested in.

One thing people need to keep in mind about others points of view is we are all a part of the same species and there are much bigger problems on this earth than these old Fords or people's different perspectives/opinions about them.
Joey Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #29
tbirdtbird
BANNED

I know of several knowledgeable posters who have quit, myself included, for several reasons, which include open attacks on the forum and hate mails via PM. It is tiring.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:51 PM   #30
glenn in camino

I don't read any of the childish crap you're talking about. I'm all about the cars, and the great answers this site offers. Keep up the good work Ryan.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #31
flatford39

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
I don't read any of the childish crap you're talking about. I'm all about the cars, and the great answers this site offers. Keep up the good work Ryan.
I don't either...I look at this place as another tool in my tool box. Yes I have a computer in my shop and I use it as a tool for research while I am out there enjoying, preserving and bringing these great automobiles back to life.

Ryan...you are lucky you only have ten bad apples to deal with considering how many people come through here daily.

If it was me I would ban them immediately and post there user names as an example.

Great post by the way. I think you really nailed the reason why these people do what they do.

Thanks.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:21 PM   #32
harleytoprock

Ok, everybody, how about a group hug!
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:22 PM   #33
Oldbluoval

I'm so stupid I don't even know what he's talking about!
I just post what I know when I know it.
Try to leave editorials to the Sunday paper!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:50 PM   #34
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleytoprock View Post
Ok, everybody, how about a group hug!
Even the Guy with B.O, that smells like STINK BAIT???
Bill W.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #35
Rowdy
BANNED

Yes Bill, even him. 😨
Old 08-25-2015, 09:27 PM   #36
rusty12

Ryan- Thanks for all that you do for the vintage car (and hot rod) community. I appreciate that you keep this place "clean" for those of us who want to play nice. I am not sure if there is (was) a specific thread that caused this particular incident, but I trust your judgement and respect all you do for us. Those that can't play nice can sit by themselves in a corner!
rusty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:30 PM   #37
Slantwindshield

I agree!!!!!!!
Slantwindshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #38
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Even the Guy with B.O, that smells like STINK BAIT???
Bill W.
Bill, I thought bringing political opinions onto the Barn was prohibited????

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:44 PM   #39
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry1953 View Post
I enjoy this sight. Thank you for making it even better. I like your rules. I was in a famous preacher's office in Frisco, TX a while back and he has a big sign behind his desk that says "Be Nice or Get Out". I liked it!
Henry,
My Dear departed wife, Pat, had a sign in her IRS office, "I AIN'T YO' MOMMA"!!
Bill W.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #40
newshirt

Ryan,
Here's a partial-solution used by another forum I'm on: require actual names in the signature area.

That is why my name is there. I put my name on everything I say.

A name and phone number might be even better. People are less likely to slam others when they know they can be gotten to. Take your name or number off your signature, and your account is suspended.